Niklas Hjalmarsson Appreciation Thread

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Hammer is great. Hope he plays his whole career here.

Bowman definitely made the correct choice by qualifying Hammer after Doug Wilson offersheeted him...

Sorry a little OT but Wilson pissed me off that summer - he extended offersheets to both Hammer and Niemi - damn well knowing he'd get both or one.

This is after the Hawks swept the Sharks....

I don't know if this was out of spite but it shows you it's a "dog eats dog" world in the GM community. The best part is that Niemi was forced to take less then the Hawks initial offer....

I supposed it all worked out for the best tho considering Crawford paid his dues for 6 years playing in the AHL or just backing up and now gets his turn to shine and has a Cup of his own...

Sorry for the digression from the topic...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
No, he hasn't. That would be Keith.

Keith is great and makes spectacular plays (as does Hammer) but I think Keith just gets noticed a bit more....

Keith has turned the puck over way more times than Hammer..

Keith is a star presently in the NHL and Hammer (at least amongst fans of any club) view him as a novelty....

Hammer has become just as good as Keith... I think Keith has the more offensive upside while Hammer is more a defensive d man that would rather block shots then send stretch passes but I think their games even out...

Hammer is severely underrated...

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Keith is great and makes spectacular plays (as does Hammer) but I think Keith just gets noticed a bit more....

Keith has turned the puck over way more times than Hammer..

Keith is a star presently in the NHL and Hammer (at least amongst fans of any club) view him as a novelty....

Hammer has become just as good as Keith... I think Keith has the more offensive upside while Hammer is more a defensive d man that would rather block shots then send stretch passes but I think their games even out...

Hammer is severely underrated...

I love Hammer being a Hawk but let's slow down a little champ.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I love Hammer being a Hawk but let's slow down a little champ.

It's pretty hard to refute, really (going either way). Hammer often gets the tougher defensive matchups and is a phenomenal Pker, especially in our idiotic model of blocking shots. Moreover he's tied for Keith for most ES points scored by a defensmen (at 8). If Hammer was getting PP1 time, which really he should as he's much better at holding pucks in the zone AND has a >>>> better shot then Keith, he'd likely have just as many if not more points than Dunc.

I'm not saying I have a problem with Keith's play, I don't. Keith has been great but the argument can be made that Hammer is just as good right now. They have 2 different styles/games that are equally important on this team. I don't think either side can say it's this player or that player emphatically.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Keith plays like a Norris winner so far this season. I like Hjammer, always did and almost never said anything bad about him, but lets not get carried away here

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Keith plays like a Norris winner so far this season. I like Hjammer, always did and almost never said anything bad about him, but lets not get carried away here

Keith was -2 as of a few games ago and only just now got his first goal. Norris winner seems a bit much.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
"Seems"? As in he didn't win a Norris? That's something that actually happened. It's not like Keith has potential to be a Norris winner, he is one and he's been our best Dman 4 out of the last 5 years (this season included)

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
"Seems"? As in he didn't win a Norris? That's something that actually happened. It's not like Keith has potential to be a Norris winner, he is one and he's been our best Dman 4 out of the last 5 years (this season included)

"Seems a bit much" this year is definitely an accurate statement. Him being the best defenseman on the Hawks this season is certainly up for some debate (I think he has), but there's no way he has been the best in the league.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Keith has been great this year. Still early, but he's been stellar defensively and he's putting up the points. (which is what this award is voted upon now a days) Wouldn't surprise me that by mid season, he'll start getting alot of recognition.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Keith has been great this year. Still early, but he's been stellar defensively and he's putting up the points. (which is what this award is voted upon now a days) Wouldn't surprise me that by mid season, he'll start getting alot of recognition.

Eddie O's already been pumping his tires and considering he's part of NBC I wouldn't be surprised if you're absolutely correct. All the awards are based on media buzz more than anything.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
If you don't think Keith doesn't play on Norris level, who you think is?

Please don't come with guys like Subban, Karlsson or Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad