Rumor: Nikitin being shopped?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
From the Sens blog linked:

"Sens have bodies in the AHL to trade in Da Costa and Hoffman and roster players *cough, Greening, cough* they might be wise to unload. There is a deal to be made here."

Anybody know anything about these guys?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
From the Sens blog linked:

"Sens have bodies in the AHL to trade in Da Costa and Hoffman and roster players *cough, Greening, cough* they might be wise to unload. There is a deal to be made here."

Anybody know anything about these guys?

I've watched the Sens often over the years, so I know Da Costa and Greening, though I've never noticed Hoffman.

Greening is a big-body fast-skating guy who doesn't have the best hands (not as bad as Jack Skille, though). He played on Spezza's wing a couple years ago and had about 40 points.. But that's not much given the opportunity. (That's not anything we couldn't get by plugging in our other middle-six guys (Foligno, Umby, etc....) into that spot.) He is responsible though, so I'd expect him to be good on the bottom-six, but I haven't seen enough this year to know if he's a part of the Sens meltdown this year or not.

Da Costa is a slick playmaking center, but very lightweight. He'd have no role in Columbus.

I'd do Greening for Nikitin if the Sens threw in Hoffman or a mid-round pick or something. They have a lot more need for Nikitin (their defensive game is in ruins) than we do for Greening, though I think he'd be useful.

Edit: Also, Greening is a Newfie who went to Cornell. So according to the Doug Maclean Theory of Value, he possesses unsurpassed character and should be immediately acquired.;)

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
If we can add a bit and grab Michalek instead, that would be faaaaaantastic!

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
if he WASN'T being shopped, I'd be surprised....

but i think anyone wanting impact scoring in a Nikitin trade will need to lower their expectations based on the names being thrown out here.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Have to think there is something other than another depth forward to be had around the league, from a team looking for a #5 or 6 defenseman. I'd rather have a depth draft pick than another 13th forward ... we already have 174 of those.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
not my thread title...whoever the MOD was that changed it takes the heat for that...hahahhaa

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Handful of teams need a steady D. Jarmo should be investigating his options. Wouldn't rule out Ottawa, but wouldn't focus fan attention solely on the Sens just because a Sens blogger made what is essentially a proposal thread on the trade board.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I also wouldn't focus on solely on Nikitin either. I agree with others that we need a depth F like we need a hole in the head. We need F's who can play top 6 like its supposed to be played. I'd put JJ in play if it would bring a top 6 guy.

Edmonton? Although they appear to be brain dead-they need to fire MacTavish and elevate xbjgmsh to eogmsh so he can build them the same way he built this juggernaut. :sarcasm:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I also wouldn't focus on solely on Nikitin either. I agree with others that we need a depth F like we need a hole in the head. We need F's who can play top 6 like its supposed to be played. I'd put JJ in play if it would bring a top 6 guy.

Seriously? Not gonna happen. Big minutes guy with an affordable cap hit.

I'm not as concerned about our top six as most seem to be around here. That might seem strange with my stance on Prospal.

I have no desire to move any of our top three defense for "top six" help. It would have to be legit top line.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I have to ask the question, would Nikitin truly bring back any sort of return worthwhile to this team? I don't know that his value is very high right now considering he has been the scratch in a pretty poor team defense recently.

If he is traded to get Erixon back in the lineup, I think its got to be a package deal of some sort.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I have to ask the question, would Nikitin truly bring back any sort of return worthwhile to this team? I don't know that his value is very high right now considering he has been the scratch in a pretty poor team defense recently.

If he is traded to get Erixon back in the lineup, I think its got to be a package deal of some sort.

If you get some cap relief back, a pick would be fine. His value was never all that high anyway. High meaning, we weren't really going to get back anything that we don't already have. He had a good run when we first got him, but he hasn't been anything special for a while now. He was fairly decent last season.

Personally I'm not looking for a roster player back. If you get a forward, your just going to get back more depth. Maybe you can get a moderate upside prospect.

It all depends on what your goals are.

I don't mind Nikitin, I just thing we have better options. I also doubt we want to give him his next contract here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yeah, I guess it depends on how the FO views depth throughout the organization. Could you use another 3rd-line NHL player in exchange for a 2-3 pairing d-man? I don't really have a strong opinion.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Nikitin has shown he can play at a higher level. The problem is consistency. So his value depends on what potential a team thinks he has.

When the injuries strike the dmen, having Nikitin and Erixon will be helpful, but at this point, the Jackets are a young team trying to get players experience. Nikitin isn't part of the future, then might as well add a player that might be.

Adding an underperforming winger with a huge salary doesn't seem worth it. I'd rather see trades for potential top 6 skilled forwards who may not help immediately. I know that isn't going to help the scoring slump now, but it's a chance maybe to add pieces that are needed not short term fixes. If teams are desperate for defensive help and don't want to subtract from their NHL roster, maybe the CBJ can get a decent prospect from their AHL team.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
In my mind, because you have Erixon and Goloubef in the A waiting for call ups, Nikitin is an expendable piece. Nikita has value to other clubs because of his play. He might not be the most rock solid in his own end, but he possesses a great shot and could be a contributor to a team with a struggling power play or looking to improve a second unit. It will be interesting to see what happens. We definitely need some scoring and skill. I like some of the names being thrown around here.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Nikitin has shown he can play at a higher level. The problem is consistency. So his value depends on what potential a team thinks he has.

I have no issue with Nikitin or his "consistency". I have an issue with his next contract.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
the Panik idea from Tampa isn't terrible...another young kid with scoring potential...

If you can get Panik, run with it. Having said that, you might want to start looking at teams with some cap space. Combined we almost have nothing.

With two guys already on LTIR, I'm not even sure what options they have. That's like a cap management nightmare that I really don't want to review again.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
on a tangent...if we do ship out NN to bring up Erixon...who finds the press box at that point??? Savard? Erixon? Finally JJ or Wiz??

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
the Panik idea from Tampa isn't terrible...another young kid with scoring potential...

That could work out, but Panik is -9, playing on the 4th line and likely going to be a healthy scratch fairly soon in Tampa. I'm not sure what's gone wrong with him. He has a reputation for being a bit lazy and out of condition (sort of like Voracek) so he might not fit into the mix in Columbus with defensively responsible forwards. But it could be taking a risk on a high reward skilled forward. He's Slovakian so maybe Gaborik would work as a mentor. They need more skill and less grinders.

Tampa has so much depth at forward and they may cut him lose to make room for other players. I'm not sure how long they plan to keep Kucherov in the AHL scoring a 2 points a game pace.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
on a tangent...if we do ship out NN to bring up Erixon...who finds the press box at that point??? Savard? Erixon? Finally JJ or Wiz??

Savard seems to have found his way into the pressbox for the last couple of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad