Nikita Zaitsev isnt as bad as everyone thinks

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I understand the dislike towards the guy, had a great rookie season, and signed a long term contract, last two years have been pretty rough. I honestly think he still is a good defense in my option though. I think last night in Tampa was one of his best games in a long time with two points, had his feet moving and made some nice defensive plays too. Do I like his contract and where hes at? No, but is he as bad as EVERYONE thinks? Not a chance. If he can play like he did last night more often I think the hate will slowly start to fad.

If he could stop clearing the puck without looking and turning it over; he might be a decent showing for a 4.5 million D-man; problem with him is that everytime the puck is in the d-zone he rims it around the boards blindly and more often than not the opposition gets possession of the puck;

he does this even when there is no pressure on him; which IMO is pretty stupid. The guy can skate well; don't know why the F he doesn't skate the puck out himself

both him and gardiner can be PMDs but they rely on stretch passes all the time;

rielly hainsey
dermott oz

hardly do the stupid stretch passes

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
If he could stop clearing the puck without looking and turning it over; he might be a decent showing for a 4.5 million D-man; problem with him is that everytime the puck is in the d-zone he rims it around the boards blindly and more often than not the opposition gets possession of the puck;

he does this even when there is no pressure on him; which IMO is pretty stupid. The guy can skate well; don't know why the F he doesn't skate the puck out himself

both him and gardiner can be PMDs but they rely on stretch passes all the time;

rielly hainsey
dermott oz

hardly do the stupid stretch passes
I see this too. I think the guy just needs to clam down and look before. He always throws it like hes going get crushed... if he can get over that I think we wouldnt have this conv

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, wish we had a dislike button for posts like this.
Gardiner will get a massive contract elsewhere next year, because he is a top defenceman, with lapses, like every other defenceman.
Only people that don’t appreciate him are Toronto fans.
He will he missed.

Gardiner will get a massive contract because he provides offence from the backend. He is bad defensively, but some team that needs offence from the backend will overpay him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The last twenty or so games he HAS looked better and the underlying numbers seem to say the same thing. But interestingly his usage has gotten more sheltered, they’ve been giving him a lot more offensive zone starts.

4.5 million is just way too much money to pay for a guy with zero puck skills even if he’s good at disrupting the puck. I think people also over estimate his ability to improve, the guy’s 27 not some early 20s rookie.

Reactions: Kiwi and AreBe

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Zaitsev plays well in the Dzone, it's not easy to do with Gardiner as your partner who wonders all over the place at any given moment.

Reactions: AreBe

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I see this too. I think the guy just needs to clam down and look before. He always throws it like hes going get crushed... if he can get over that I think we wouldnt have this conv

personally that pair has become a problem IMO babcock has to break that pair

rielly gardiner
hainsey zaitsev
dermott oz

let zaitsev drive the play a little bit on the 2nd pair; this might boost his confidence, hainsey is not a fast skater but he is very good at positioning in the defensive zone and this will help zaitsev

rielly and gardiner both can move the puck and that would give opposition some trouble as leafs transition (assuming the stupid hail mary stretch pass from garinder is dead) would be very fast and effective

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
personally that pair has become a problem IMO babcock has to break that pair

rielly gardiner
hainsey zaitsev
dermott oz

let zaitsev drive the play a little bit on the 2nd pair; this might boost his confidence, hainsey is not a fast skater but he is very good at positioning in the defensive zone and this will help zaitsev

rielly and gardiner both can move the puck and that would give opposition some trouble as leafs transition (assuming the stupid hail mary stretch pass from garinder is dead) would be very fast and effective
I really like those pairings alot and have suggested them on other boards too. People complain about that second paring but that is normally our first PK line. And we have one of the best PKs in the leauge. I dont understand why they havent done it.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I really like those pairings alot and have suggested them on other boards too. People complain about that second paring but that is normally our first PK line. And we have one of the best PKs in the leauge. I dont understand why they havent done it.

This is one my gripes with babcock; he keeps changing the forwards but how about changing the defensive pairs a little too for a few games.

its not like he doesn't run different defensive pairs when leafs are chasing the game; why not start a few games with different pairs to get a new feel and look

Reactions: PuckMagi

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He's a little crappier than Pesce and he's paid a little more, so I don't think it's a really good deal. But he's pretty much a poor man's Pesce.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Zaitsev better than Dermott, the good Canadian kid who is not getting the negative attention he deserves
Damn Ruskies knows how to skate
Damn European and all of their skill! Leafs need to trade them away, not hold any back in reserves
Leafs fans want to get rid of this speed, and have more slow -moving defense men, but pigheaded smart guy Dubas is into analytics and he things speed is a positive trait!

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's a little crappier than Pesce and he's paid a little more, so I don't think it's a really good deal. But he's pretty much a poor man's Pesce.
Pesce is overrated as hell (hes a 4D) but zaitsev is much much worse.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I wouldn't mind seeing him on the PP. Could use a bomb from the point, and I heard he has a good one. I just never seen it. Who knows maybe he can pick up a few points and make himself look more attractive to other GM's for a trade.
Not going to happen.

With 4F 1D on the ice ... he would be too exposed.

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
People like to underrate leads d if zaitsev was in Carolina they would ask for nylander in a trade

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Zaitsev better than Dermott, the good Canadian kid who is not getting the negative attention he deserves
Damn Ruskies knows how to skate
Damn European and all of their skill! Leafs need to trade them away, not hold any back in reserves
Leafs fans want to get rid of this speed, and have more slow -moving defense men, but pigheaded smart guy Dubas is into analytics and he things speed is a positive trait!
Both make stupid mistakes but Dermott at least makes himself a good option and outlet. Worst part about Zaitsev is the fact he's a boat anchor for every person he plays with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad