Waived: Nikita Scherbak

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Hilarious to see all the people blaming Montreal for his development and for waiving him... Maybe it’s bad drafting, yeah, but the guy is soft as a pillow and continuously injured. He also can’t play defence to save his life.
Well Said. He play's like he is scared, and is definitly soft. He has had 4 camps and hasn't impressed in any of them. He is a bust. Draft needs to be better. McCarron is a bust as well.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Hilarious to see all the people blaming Montreal for his development and for waiving him... Maybe it’s bad drafting, yeah, but the guy is soft as a pillow and continuously injured. He also can’t play defence to save his life.

Some teams chronically turn talent into busts.

Some teams chronically find talent in obscure places.

The organization definitely matters.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Yes, they are. Why? Bad management. It’s not bad luck, it’s not bad drafting. They take young players and put them in a position to fail.

But this is not a thread about the Islanders.
They suck at drafting. Only impact player in a while has been Barzal and maybe Pulock so far.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Ott can you please not piss away another chance to claim someone off waivers

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
So Kings were bottom feeders for 8 years then won two cups, Leafs were bottom feeders for decades and won.. nothing ?

Not making a very strong point.

Can’t wait for @GlitchMarner answer on that one :popcorn:

*most of* Leafs fan are so desperate for attention since they are now good after decades of poor results...this is ridiculous

Reactions: KingPuckChoo

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
you understood my post right?

i count 2 top 10 picks from 2002-09

Doughty
B Schenn

you really can't accuse LA of being a tanking team

Leafs however... since 2002, let's count how many top 10 picks they had:

L Schenn 5th overall
N Kadri 7th overall
M Rielly 5th overall
W Nylander 8th overall
M Marner 4th overall
A Matthews 1st overall

so yeah give me 6 top ten picks, my team will be better than yours actually

hopefully LA follows the very impressive Leafs model, so that i can gloat for a decade as well

The Leafs were trying to be competitive, though. They traded two firsts in the deal for Kessel and then signed Phil to a lucrative contract. If they tanked, it wasn't until the latter portion of the '14-'15 season or the '15-'16 season.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Can’t wait for @GlitchMarner answer on that one :popcorn:

*most of* Leafs fan are so desperate for attention since they are now good after decades of poor results...this is ridiculous

I'm aware of the Maple Leafs' history.

It's funny, though: When they were trying to be competitive, people were ripping them because they traded picks and signed UFAs and didn't try to "build properly."

Now that they've drafted some good young talent, the narrative seems to be they cheated their way to success or something. PIT, WSH, CHI are all teams that had high picks before becoming good.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
First de la Rose and now Scherbak. They must be confident that they found their 1C in Kotkaniemi. I guess they can still do McCarron + Lindgren + 2nd.

I don't see how putting a winger and a 5g in 132 game borderline nhl centre on waiver has to do with a 1c

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I'm aware of the Maple Leafs' history.

It's funny, though: When they were trying to be competitive, people were ripping them because they traded picks and signed UFAs and didn't try to "build properly."

Now that they've drafted some good young talent, the narrative seems to be they cheated their way to success or something. PIT, WSH, CHI are all teams that had high picks before becoming good.

I can only speak for myself but I’m quite confident a lot of folks feel the same way about the Leafs fan: we do not argue about cheating the system. In fact, we mostly all agree this is the right way to build a team (I’d like my Habs to do it).

We hate the arrogance that comes out of TML fans mocking other franchises after DECADES of being awful & TML fans thinking they are entitled to something only because they have a very good team on paper (I think most agree to that, if not, they aren’t right) but actually never achieved anything *yet* except scoring a lot of goals and losing in 1st round...they might even never win a cup with this team, although they are well on their way to compete for it.

Signed : the daily HF member that I am & I think A LOT of posters feel the same way as I do

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I don't see how putting a winger and a 5g in 132 game borderline nhl centre on waiver has to do with a 1c
The joke was that two of the players that were routinely offered in crap packages for a 1C were both placed on waivers this year. Ryder, Halak and a 2nd never went truly went away.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
timmins batting around 33% with recent firsts - with only juulsen panning out. that being said, he's been A LOT better in last 3 years, especially now that he has lots of 2nd rounders to work with

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
you understood my post right?

i count 2 top 10 picks from 2002-09

Doughty
B Schenn

you really can't accuse LA of being a tanking team

Leafs however... since 2002, let's count how many top 10 picks they had:

L Schenn 5th overall
N Kadri 7th overall
M Rielly 5th overall
W Nylander 8th overall
M Marner 4th overall
A Matthews 1st overall

so yeah give me 6 top ten picks, my team will be better than yours actually

hopefully LA follows the very impressive Leafs model, so that i can gloat for a decade as well

funny because I count 3 and a lot more if you go a little bit further than top 10

when you pick top 5 3 years in a row you're tanking

2003 13th Dustin Brown
2004 11th lauri tukonen
2005 11th Anze Kopitar
2006 11th Jonathan Bernier
2007 4th Thomas Hickey
2008 2nd Drew Doughty 13th Colton Teubert
2009 5th Brayden schenn

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
So I will say that I think he was developed poorly but also had bad luck with injuries. I do wish that the Habs would have gave him a ten game stretch to try out to see if he could fit in.

That being said the 2014 draft did not create a bunch of super talented players after Scherbak was drafted. These are the players with 50 career games played who were drafted after him; (and I do feel as if 50 games in your fifth season after your draft is still a pretty low number)

Scherbak was drafted #26. The number in the brackets are draft position.

Goldobin(27), Kempe(29), Barbashev (33), Montour (55), Dvorak(58), Tryamkin(66), Point(79), Amadio(90), Arvidsson(112), Heinen(116), Forsling(126), Bjork(146), Labanc(171), Kase(205)

So realistically only the first three players on that list are a clear improvement over Scherbak. Their are other players on that list who are really good hockey players but they were selected a whole round later. They were not pegged to be a late first rounder so you really can’t fault the Habs for not selected them. It was just a rough draft year for depth.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
funny because I count 3 and a lot more if you go a little bit further than top 10

when you pick top 5 3 years in a row you're tanking

2003 13th Dustin Brown
2004 11th lauri tukonen
2005 11th Anze Kopitar
2006 11th Jonathan Bernier
2007 4th Thomas Hickey
2008 2nd Drew Doughty 13th Colton Teubert
2009 5th Brayden schenn

OMG! you count THREE!? lock me up then!! OMMMGG that completely disqualifies my argument doesn't!?

you'd be quite the lawyer, my oh my

i think my mind wanted to forget about the Hickey pick, besides Hickey wasn't even part of the roster, Leafs have all there Tank Commanders on their roster save Luke Schenn

anyway, the ESSENCE of the argument is that the leafs collected a good handful of top end talent by tanking for over a decade (something that respectable teams like the Bruins & Lightning never did).

The Leafs qualified ONCE in ELEVEN YEARS, and a lot LESS CUPS if you go a little bit further than 11 years

i count zero since '67, is my math correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: deaderhead28

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So I will say that I think he was developed poorly but also had bad luck with injuries. I do wish that the Habs would have gave him a ten game stretch to try out to see if he could fit in.

That being said the 2014 draft did not create a bunch of super talented players after Scherbak was drafted. These are the players with 50 career games played who were drafted after him; (and I do feel as if 50 games in your fifth season after your draft is still a pretty low number)

Scherbak was drafted #26. The number in the brackets are draft position.

Goldobin(27), Kempe(29), Barbashev (33), Montour (55), Dvorak(58), Tryamkin(66), Point(79), Amadio(90), Arvidsson(112), Heinen(116), Forsling(126), Bjork(146), Labanc(171), Kase(205)

So realistically only the first three players on that list are a clear improvement over Scherbak. Their are other players on that list who are really good hockey players but they were selected a whole round later. They were not pegged to be a late first rounder so you really can’t fault the Habs for not selected them. It was just a rough draft year for depth.
But the guy that went 25th.Man what a pick he turned out to be,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad