Waived: Nikita Scherbak - Claimed by LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Zykov was a second rounder. Marko Dano was a first rounder but is 24.

They are generally the exceptions that confirm the rule that teams don't give up on 22 year olds so easily.

Also, consider that Scherbak wouldn't have been waiver-eligible were it not for him missing the cut-off date by a few days. Most others in his draft year are not waiver-eligible.

Zykov was draft what ? 37 ? It's like a 1st round pick .. and Sherback never scored 30 goals in the AHL like Zykov did last years. The 2 cases are really close

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Zykov was draft what ? 37 ? It's like a 1st round pick .. and Sherback never scored 30 goals in the AHL like Zykov did last years. The 2 cases are really close

You can argue that he was close to a first rounder however, how many players of that ilk do you see getting waived? Merely a handful. Most first rounders have a longer run with the team that drafted them, is all I'm saying.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

My opinion Paul Byron a waiver pick up, is way better then what Sherb will ever be....and the Paul Byron pick is like found gold....any players we have waived have never been as a good as Paul Byron.......

when the Habs waive guys...even 1st rounder... there always right...lol

Im still waiting for Alex Avtsin....

Last edited:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I’m going to guess that Sherbak was asked to go down for another conditioning stint, and he rejected it. He probably wanted a fresh start.

If this is true, it is probably a mistake. The team who drafted you always has more interest in seeing you succeed than any other, as they took a chance, and so want to look good.

Sherbak better put it together soon, as LA probably won’t give him a long leash.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You can argue that he was close to a first rounder however, how many players of that ilk do you see getting waived? Merely a handful. Most first rounders have a longer run with the team that drafted them, is all I'm saying.

Honestly I understand more your point that you think. You don't keep AHL contract player before ex 1st rounder. Your point is valid BUT Sherback didn't show me anything that he can be a NHL player for a longtime and my philosophy is that we should never manage player on witch round they where drafted and on my point of view, if Sherback was a 5th round pick nobody would care if he lost him on the waivers today

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
My opinion Paul Byron a waiver pick up, is way better then what Sherb will ever be....and the Paul Byron pick is like found gold....any players we have waived have never been as a good as Paul Byron.......

when the Habs waive guys...even 1st rounder... there always right...lol

Im still waiting for Alex Avtsin....
applies to pretty much any other NHL team, that's not saying much...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Honestly I understand more your point that you think. You don't keep AHL contract player before ex 1st rounder. Your point is valid BUT Sherback didn't show me anything that he can be a NHL player for a longtime and my philosophy is that we should never manage player on witch round they where drafted and on my point of view, if Sherback was a 5th round pick nobody would care if he lost him on the waivers today
Sherbak did not play...

and just like DLR, he'd probably still be a Hab if not for Peca and Plekanec contract and Julien wanting bangers on his 4th line.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
applies to pretty much any other NHL team, that's not saying much...

What i am saying is , do you regret waiving any guy in recent times? Has anyone we waived ever been a NHL star OR TURNED INTO A GREAT TOP 6 PLAYER? i have not seen it ....Now Calgary they do regret letting Byron go and management have said so.....but there is no Montreal pick or player we waived or let go i can say i regret doing so ...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
What i am saying is , do you regret waiving any guy in recent times? Has anyone we waived ever been a NHL star OR TURNED INTO A GREAT TOP 6 PLAYER? i havnet seen it ....Now Calgary they do regret let Byron go and management have said so.....but there is no Montreal pick or player we waived or let go i can say i regret doing so ...
at the end of the day, Sherbak didnt play a single NHL game this season, this org prefered Peca (lol) over him, and DLR...

both may be 4th liners at best, but Peca is not even that right now...

Reactions: cphabs

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Sherbak did not play...

and just like DLR, he'd probably still be a Hab if not for Peca and Plekanec contract and Julien wanting bangers on his 4th line.

He played in pre season. The last 2 camp the door was open for him and what he did ? Nothing ... if your lazy in your most important moment of your career ...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
at the end of the day, Sherbak didnt play a single NHL game this season, this org prefered Peca (lol) over him, and DLR...

both may be 4th liners at best, but Peca is not even that right now...

here didnt play cause he was injured AGAIN.....3 times in 26 games....when you're paying a guy 800,000 to 1 million in NHL dollars, you don't want him on NHL IR sitting on knee surgery or concussions if he is a questionable NHLer to start with...

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
here didnt play cause he was injured AGAIN.....3 times in 26 games....when you're paying a guy 800,000 to 1 million in NHL dollars, you don;t want him on NHL IR sitting on knee surgery or concussions
opportunities to play him were there, Julien prefered Peca (lol)...

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
yeah, he's been injured all season long...

I 'll be shocked the way LA plays big (physical) that he wont get injured in the first 5-10 games...

and Wille D his new coach is a Defensive responsibly type

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Not that I care about Scherbak, he's not that good, but we lost 2 players in the waivers this season already. That is terrible assets management.
It is assest management. Not necessarily terrible. What has he earned? He probably couldnt crack the top nine, so what? They play him on the 4th line and send down Chaput? Scherbak didnt earn anything. Hes injury prone and i highly doubt he'll be around very long. No big loss. Forget player development for a sec. If he and Mccaron were worth it, they would have made the nhl on their own. They wete projects that didnt work. It happens

Reactions: habdynasty

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
come on now...

What ?

Mete had a great camp what they did ? They keep him.
Juulsen had a great camp what they did ? They keep him
Kotkaniemi? was supposed to return in the Liigaa bt they keep him
Even Xavier Ouellet who was supossed to be with Laval he had a good camp they did ? They keep him

You really think MB didn't want to keep a former 1st round pick if he had a good camp ?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Not sure if Scherbak is ever going to be a regular NHL player, but what I am sure about is that at some point we need to stop throwing our picks in the trash. If management doesn’t see a future for these guys, move them while they have some value. Is there another team in the nhl with worse asset management than the Habs?

Thats just the NHL system at play. I mean it would be interesting to look into the numbers and see if we lose more players on waivers than other teams but we also have had plenty of former picks on our team from waivers or whatever. We have Shikankurk playing in Laval another former 1st that we signed this year. Some team lost him for nothing too.

Players got the CBA to make it so that they can't be buried in minors by teams wanting to hold onto all of em. 22 is young to make a decision on a players NHL career even in todays NHL. But its not fair to the player if these guys could be buried until 25 years old. If we trade him a year or 2 ago we never gave him a chance to be in our system. If you hold onto long then the NHL makes it so you can't keep them. Its a catch 22.

But overall losing JDLR and Scherby for nothing isnt good at all. At least get a pick a long the way. And when we have guys like Hudon/Chaput/Peca/DLo/Ago in the lineup you could at least give a game or two to him, maybe even make value for him.

I think its fair to say MB holds on to long.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
What ?

Mete had a great camp what they did ? They keep him.
Juulsen had a great camp what they did ? They keep him
Kotkaniemi? was supposed to return in the Liigaa bt they keep him
Even Xavier Ouellet who was supossed to be with Laval he had a good camp they did ? They keep him

You really think MB didn't want to keep a former 1st round pick if he had a good camp ?

and where did Sherbak start the season...

Peca over him (and DLR) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad