Nikita 'Not A Cap Dump' Zaitsev

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Looking like that ankle injury has healed up, he's getting back to what most on here were projecting/hoping for year before last.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He's looked good so far.
Not sure how they keep him and Gardiner though

You would think if the Leaf want to keep all their forwards, including Nylander, Gardiner is gone next summer for cap reasons. Reilly, Dermot at LHD along with????? Borgman, Rosen, Sandin? Will have be someone inexpensive.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He’s not garbage but he’s not deserving of a 7 year deal.

7 years will be a blessing if he continues to be even a #4 D and the cap continues to rise (which it will significantly with seattle and new TV deals pending).

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I get this feeling - nothing really to dissect, just a hunch - that management feels the way you described about Gardiner. Elite skater and playmaker, very good shot, has massive brainfarts all the time and is prone to the ridiculous giveaway on occasion. And knowing what we'd have to pay to keep him . . . I don't think they see the value in that, as opposed to getting another guy through free agency/trade/etc that is half the price and is the exact opposite player - solid defensively, prone to making the safer play as opposed to the flashy one, dependable in our zone.

Zaitsev is a better option to keep as a somewhat offensive defenceman who can still be decent defensively.
Don't need Gardiner's offense from the back end. We have Reilly, an up and coming Dermott, and Lilly waiting in the wings. What we do need is a stay at home big tough D man that can get the puck out of the zone.

Reactions: slozo and kb

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I told you guys he'd be fine. Injury coupled with it being his 2nd year made it hard for him last year. This is hot-take central, and sometimes I'm right there with you. ;)

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I dunno man, almost every time Hainsey stands out to me, the puck is in our net a few seconds later.

I dumped on Hainsey after his brutal first game like everyone else but I was virtually alone praising him for his amazing bounceback game in which the team gave up 0 shots 5v5 when he was on the ice. He was also a stud against the Blackhawks and was better than most thought against Dallas.

A #1 defensive D is a hard sell in a crazy media market as the best chance to get on the highlights is when the other teams star player has scored on you. Making yet another good defensive read doesnt seem to make the news. He wasnt the first guy to get burned by Seguin and he made a good move but the puck hopped on him. It happens.

Morgan Rielly is also a part of his success of course but he's actually had better numbers away from Rielly. This is a good thing.

It may just be an outlier on the season but if you take out that first game, his numbers are comparable to guys like Vlasic and Josi. I cant bring myself to go after him when hes playing well.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Don't need Gardiner's offense from the back end. We have Reilly, an up and coming Dermott, and Lilly waiting in the wings. What we do need is a stay at home big tough D man that can get the puck out of the zone.
Sandin may be closer than most thought going into camp too. But the Leafs really need their own Josh Manson type.

Reactions: dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Thank God he looks better this year

I'm not going to lie his contract frightened the **** out of me after last season so him living up to that ticket this season makes me way happier

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Hm, not trying to be contrarian, but I was unimpressed with what I've seen from Zaitsev this season. He still handles the puck like a hand grenade when pressured, and gives far too much space and time for the other team when they are cycling the puck (he was especially horrible against the Hawks). I think he has played like a low-end #4, and Leafs are going to need him to up his game if we ever want to stop worrying about the right-side.

Fortunately, the Coach disagrees with you. So do I.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thank God he looks better this year

I'm not going to lie his contract frightened the **** out of me after last season so him living up to that ticket this season makes me way happier

I think he’s looked better too, though I also just looked at his CF% Rel which was like -15 which is a bit concerning. Early days isn’t he season though so hard to use possession metrics.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think he’s looked better too, though I also just looked at his CF% Rel which was like -15 which is a bit concerning. Early days isn’t he season though so hard to use possession metrics.

The team started pretty badly possession wise, the Matthews line was a possession train wreck and Gardiner hasn't been the pair driver he usually is so I think there's plenty of mitigation in those early possession numbers

He looks way steadier this season, he's not handling the puck like a grenade either which helps and I think if that keeps up his possession numbers will come up accordingly

The defensive zone starts % doesn't help that either

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Fortunately, the Coach disagrees with you. So do I.
I think we've seen that Babcock isn't always infallible in his decision making. Luckily for you however, neither of our opinions influences the lineup in the least. I'd be happy for Zaitsev to turn it around, I don't think he has done it yet however.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

When you are a defenseman, and you start in your own zone 65% of the time, your possession metrics aren't going to be all that pretty.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
team worst 29 cf% tonight. it's so weird that people don't realize how poor he's playing
If that stat is true, then we can draw a conclusion from it.

Martin Marincin had a much better game than Zaitsev. Hey you are last you are last, he was the worst!

How come we all know that is not true?

Why does this stat wants us to believe otherwise.

Someone like Babcock won't buy it. Lip service maybe to keep Dubas happy.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
team worst 29 cf% tonight. it's so weird that people don't realize how poor he's playing

Watching the game last night, I expected this result and wasn't disappointed. It was rerun after rerun of Zaitsev making a smart play or taking out his man in front of the net or breaking up a cycle followed by some really bad play from everyone else.

I mean, if you thought Gards was better than Zaitsev last night, you may be too focused on analytics. Zaitsev has really been carrying him so far this year.

I love analytics and that's the weird thing about the numbers. Its team play while you are on the ice. These things have a way of balancing out by the end though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If that stat is true, then we can draw a conclusion from it.

Martin Marincin had a much better game than Zaitsev. Hey you are last you are last, he was the worst!

How come we all know that is not true?

Why does this stat wants us to believe otherwise.

Someone like Babcock won't buy it. Lip service maybe to keep Dubas happy.

Marinicin played well most of the game.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Watching the game last night, I expected this result and wasn't disappointed. It was rerun after rerun of Zaitsev making a smart play or taking out his man in front of the net or breaking up a cycle followed by some really bad play from everyone else.

I mean, if you thought Gards was better than Zaitsev last night, you may be too focused on analytics. Zaitsev has really been carrying him so far this year.

I love analytics and that's the weird thing about the numbers. Its team play while you are on the ice. These things have a way of balancing out by the end though.

Now if he could just learn to put his stick on the ice on the PK he might close a passing lane......

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
People can't just watch play to assess, is that too mentally taxing that you need to find a stat to fit your narrative? Hainsey scored a goal, he is our best offensive defenceman too.

There are no debates surrounding Zaitsev vs. any other D-man not named Reilly this year if you've watched every game and have a clue about the game. For every turnover, blow-by, bad-pinch, etc etc etc that Z may make (and I struggle to remember any tbh) a non-Reilly D-man has made 5+ more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad