Nikita Nesterov, Igor Ozhiganov, Maxim Shalunov, Sergei Shmelev

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Sorry, the only one I've actually seen play is Shalunov and I don't have enough info to provide any type of scouting report.

This site could use more Russia content IMO.

Faryn

Dec 11, 2009
Calgary AB
I noticed all these players play in the MHL. Does anyone know what a good point total is for that league it doesnt seem like any of these players even come close to dominating that league wereas players such as Evgeny Kuznetsov averaged almost 2 points a game in the past two seasons(though a small sample size, 16 games 27 points). I know these guys arent touted as the same calibure as Kuznetsov but their point totals seem really underwhelming outside of Shmelev at a ppg pace.

Nikita Nesterov 45gp 5g 12a 17p
Igor Ozhiganov 40gp 4g 13a 17p
Maxim Shalunov 38gp 11g 13a 24p ---KHL 6gp 0g 1a 1p
Sergie Shmelev 40gp 17g 22a 39p

I know points arent everything but how are they, will they be drafted. It seems with the russian factor players really have to standout or show a willingness to come over to north america. The only player I could see being drafted is Shmelov but I really dont know, Russia to me is the hardest place to guage draft rankings I would really like to expand my knowledge of their systems outside the KHL.

Ams1fan

Sep 10, 2009
Yes, any news about Nesterov would be great

He was a draft pick of the Tri-City Americans of the WHL in the import draft but he never showed up this year. I think he's still on the teams list so hopefully he will come over next year.

I thought I read somewhere that he was possibly a late round pick for the NHL draft but the article was written before this latest hockey season.

pouskin74*

I noticed all these players play in the MHL. Does anyone know what a good point total is for that league it doesnt seem like any of these players even come close to dominating that league wereas players such as Evgeny Kuznetsov averaged almost 2 points a game in the past two seasons(though a small sample size, 16 games 27 points). I know these guys arent touted as the same calibure as Kuznetsov but their point totals seem really underwhelming outside of Shmelev at a ppg pace.

Nikita Nesterov 45gp 5g 12a 17p

Igor Ozhiganov 40gp 4g 13a 17p
Maxim Shalunov 38gp 11g 13a 24p ---KHL 6gp 0g 1a 1p
Sergie Shmelev 40gp 17g 22a 39p

I know points arent everything but how are they, will they be drafted. It seems with the russian factor players really have to standout or show a willingness to come over to north america. The only player I could see being drafted is Shmelov but I really dont know, Russia to me is the hardest place to guage draft rankings I would really like to expand my knowledge of their systems outside the KHL.

If we talking about regulars then Airat Zyazov was best in last year with 83 points out of 52 games and Kirill Polozov this year with 77 points out of 53 games.
Its not as easy as it looks....he(Kuznetsov) had only 2 points in 5 games in this years playoffs.
Nesterov is a defenceman, so expecting him to be as productive as forwards are "bit" too much i guess. Obviously Shalunov is the prospect to keep eyes on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Sorry, the only one I've actually seen play is Shalunov and I don't have enough info to provide any type of scouting report.

This site could use more Russia content IMO.

yeah, it would be nice having more info on Russians. We get good feedback on Swedes and Finns, not so much from Russia.

at first sight, Shalunov looks like a 2-way guy. We'll see if he plays at the U-18

He was a draft pick of the Tri-City Americans of the WHL in the import draft but he never showed up this year. I think he's still on the teams list so hopefully he will come over next year.

I thought I read somewhere that he was possibly a late round pick for the NHL draft but the article was written before this latest hockey season.

he's the guy I'd want info on with Shalunov. They look interesting.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
yeah, it would be nice having more info on Russians. We get good feedback on Swedes and Finns, not so much from Russia.

at first sight, Shalunov looks like a 2-way guy. We'll see if he plays at the U-18

he's the guy I'd want info on with Shalunov. They look interesting.

From everything I've read, Shalunov has wonderful physical tools but a 10 cent head. Dominates when he's 'on', but is prone to lazyness, little defensive play, etc. etc.
I remember reading some scout saying he has all the tools in the world but no toolbox at the moment.

Fulcrum

Nesterov - Good tournament for him. Average to slightly above that for his physical game. Good first pass. Good vision in the offensive zone, with play maker abilities and complements the top Russian line. Likes to take the puck into the offensive zone and quick to jump in on the rush. His Defensive game is about average however.

Ozhiganov - Strong physically, will go for the body instead of the poke check most of the time. His shot actually has potential, having scored from the blue a few times.

Shalunov - Perhaps due to injury (unknown what kind)- had a poor tournament. His flashes of skill and talent are certainly there along with his size. Over handles the puck leading to loss of possession and does not continue the play, which appears to have become a bad habit for him even on his home team. His attempts to shine are hurting his overall game leaving a poor impression of decisions. Having said all that, he has a decent chance to be a candidate for U-20 next year, simple because of his potential and size.

Shmelev is a very promising talent. Had an excellent season and the coach considered him a leader on the Mytischi team. He should be at this tournament as he actually recovered from his injury just before. But he is likely been pushed aside by 'passengers'.

Some interesting '92 prospects who are worth keeping an eye on for next year WJC:

Apalkov - C (GP - 45/ P -57) A few games in the KHL this year, strong season and playoff run with his MHL team winning silver

Potekhin - LW 29 Games for a strong KHL team this year, with 3 points.

Gusev - LW 55 points in 45 games (same highest PPG as Kuznetsov!). Undisputed stats leader in MHL playoffs with 27 points in 16 games. I think second best is 17 points. At 5'9'' ~165 lbs he will probably miss the draft, but he is one Creative winger with natural instict for goals. Some of which are highlight reels.

Marchenko - D Very high PPG this year. Absolutely the best OFD in MHL.

I could go on and on, this is the tip of the iceberg for good 92's this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad