Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolts-kucherov-becoming-king-of-breakaway-20140118
Seemingly once per game, the crafty Kucherov takes a pass up the middle for a one-on-one chance against the goaltender, and he’s become the Wizard of Breakaway Lane.

“We kind of joke around, because it’s almost like it’s a skill for him to be able to find himself to get open and have that many breakaways,” linemate Nate Thompson said. “We joke around that he’s hiding in the visiting bench or coming out of the penalty box or wherever he’s coming from, but he finds his way.”
“He’s usually good for one or two of those a game, so you have to know when he’s on the ice, because something like that might happen,” Gudas said. “Sometimes it’s like, ‘Oh, OK, him again.’ So, that’s how it’s going to be. He’s very good at that.”
“He’s so fast and so sneaky that you have to be aware when he is on the ice,” Hedman said. “He’s extraordinary, how he can find those open seams.”
“He’s a special talent, and that’s why you can use words like innate or ‘it’ factor or all those adjectives, that’s what separates those guys,” Cooper said.

“But that’s just one facet of his game, and he can’t rely on that. It’s great to have, because it separates you from other players, but you still have to back-check hard, play (defense) and have awareness away from the puck. That’s what he is learning right now, and that’s the stuff that will keep him in the league, not the ‘innate’ ability to get a breakaway. ... But it is nice to have a guy on your team that can do that.”

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Notice how all of them are calling him sneaky?

Really? A Sneaky Russian?

I was hoping this organization was above such stereotypes.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Being sneaky Russians didn't help Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale capture Rocky and Bullwinkle :)

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
So, what does the future bring for Kucherov the rest of the season and playoffs? Will he get into some more games?

Last edited:

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
So, what does the future bring for Kucherov the rest of the season and playoffs? Will he get into some more games?

If the team keeps winning, I don't see Cooper moving the lines around much to try and get him ice time. It's unfortunate really. Kucherov needs ice time right now, and he just isn't going to be getting it consistently. He really should have been sent back down a while ago so he could grow more in the AHL.

Maybe if we can clinch a playoff birth he will get more ice time at the end of the year. Hard to tell though.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...2171669?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Lightning rookie wing Nikita Kucherov sat at his locker last week in Toronto and admitted his confidence was low. He had not scored in 14 games and was about to be scratched for a third straight game in a stretch that would reach five and seven of eight.

So instead of excitement, Kucherov showed reserve on Monday when talking about getting back into the lineup against the Senators.

"It's hard," he said about playing without confidence. "When you have the puck and don't have the confidence, it's hard to beat someone in this league. I'll do my best. We'll see what happens."
"He's 20," coach Jon Cooper said. "He's learning about the NHL. He's not disappointing me in the slightest. I'm really happy where he has been. I'm really happy where he's going. He's going to be a good player in this league."
"I just need to play better," Kucherov said.

Asked if he had to guard about pressing too hard to score goals, Kucherov said, "I don't want to think about it. Just be in the right position and play simple. I don't want to think about goals."

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
It's a good mindset, especially when you're slumping. Just get back to the ABCs and let the game come back to you slowly. I'd rather he do something like that than try to force himself out of a slump and overplay.

Just hoping for a good game from him. Seems like a great kid with a ton of talent. He'll be fine.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He's a good player. Even as a rookie that isn't scoring yet. When/if it clicks for him and I think it will watch out. Having a future of Drouin, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat, and other young guns to Stsmkos and Callahan wow what a group of forwards. I think this team will be a force soon. It's already been fun this year and the fun is only starting. Good time to be a bolts fan.

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
I think it's more of him either being tired or lack of effort that lead him to be sat out lately.
When he first started playing his stick was superb defensively for stealing pucks off of the opposing team. He also had an insane amount of breakaways.
Him sitting is great for his development he just needs to know that he's done nothing wrong and needs to keep improving.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don't think lack of effort is it at all. Maybe frustration - and I think there was some overthinking going on, but I don't see a lack of effort problem with him.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
We'll see how he plays tonight...he needs to get that puck on the net. I'm glad he is in the lineup tonight - but I think he should have been sent back instead of sitting in the bench. As skilled as he is (and it is obvious he'll be fine long term) they didnt apply the Yzerman slow and patient approach with him and I'm perplexed as to why.

He should be dominating the AHL right now leading the Crunch to a deep playoff run with Namestnikov. He should be on the Palat/Johnson approach of taking over the team and dominating at that level getting AHL All-Star games, MVP awards, and getting the short injury call-up. Feels like the organization has made a mistake with him by holding him up here way too long. It really hurt the Crunch and helped the Lightning for a little while. It was a throw away season for the Crunch...and we should have leaned on our veterans a bit more than we did. We are going to the playoffs this year...so hard to argue either way.

I'd be all for having Kucherov in the AHL next year on the Johnson/Palat plan playing with Namestnikov for a couple of years until he is 23/24.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think lack of effort is it at all. Maybe frustration - and I think there was some overthinking going on, but I don't see a lack of effort problem with him.

Agreed. Looked like built up frustration, trying to pick corners too perfectly (leading to missed nets) etc.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
We'll see how he plays tonight...he needs to get that puck on the net. I'm glad he is in the lineup tonight - but I think he should have been sent back instead of sitting in the bench. As skilled as he is (and it is obvious he'll be fine long term) they didnt apply the Yzerman slow and patient approach with him and I'm perplexed as to why.
They didn't want to call him up that quick but all the injuries kind of forced him up. First they tried Connolly who really blew his chance. Then they called up Brown, and when they needed another injury replacement, Vladdy, who was probably higher on the list, was injuried.

He should be dominating the AHL right now leading the Crunch to a deep playoff run with Namestnikov. He should be on the Palat/Johnson approach of taking over the team and dominating at that level getting AHL All-Star games, MVP awards, and getting the short injury call-up. Feels like the organization has made a mistake with him by holding him up here way too long. It really hurt the Crunch and helped the Lightning for a little while. It was a throw away season for the Crunch...and we should have leaned on our veterans a bit more than we did. We are going to the playoffs this year...so hard to argue either way.

I'd be all for having Kucherov in the AHL next year on the Johnson/Palat plan playing with Namestnikov for a couple of years until he is 23/24.
Earlier in the season I would have agreed with you. Like Palat and others, let him get a year or 2 in the AHL first, let him keep dominating the AHL, getting 1st line/ 1st pp unit ice time, playing in all situations, etc. Go slowly with him. But I have to give the guy credit. He came up, he grabbed hold of his spot, and didn't let go for a long time. While Yzerman doesn't like to rush guys, and that Yzerplan has worked really well for a lot of our prospects, he also won't hold a guy back if he's ready. I guess they think he's shown enough on both sides of the ice that he can not only hang with the big boys, but also be a good player. Kucherov's smarts, vision, and skill really fit well with the type of team Yzerman and Coop want, and he has done well playing in the system in place.

I don't think you'll see him in Syracuse next year. I think that's partly why you see the Crunch stocking up on skilled forwards right now, because Kucherov and Brown will most likely be staying. They've both made the most of their opportunity, for guys who weren't pegged to make the team out of camp. He obviously has to have a good training camp and preseason but I think he'll be fine. His defensive game is already at good spot, and his strength can be worked on over the summer.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

Very touchy situation malone crombeen and extra guy playing double shifting the fourth line was not working. It was ugly at one point pyatt injured etc.

We gave malone a look lately but look at tonight? He is wore out already and done again.

So no I think is fine that kucherov is still up see him getting a little time mixed with the others.

We are tired as a team the defense is super tired it seems.

I didnt like kucherov's game today. He was not the same even though got the goal was not playing happy etc. Has to be a little looser so hope he gets another shot.

Johnson stamkos was starting to click he is too fast for killer and purcell.

We have decisions going to have to deal with to make a playoff run. Meaning win some series.

The format today is not going to work. Kucherov might get there by default at least he has the speed to be there.

I trust in cooper to see things like this daily and deal with it.

Panik last game looked tired too and he is only other guy think can do something besides kucherov.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolts-notes-kunyk-getting-crash-course-in-nhl-life-20140327/
RW Nikita Kucherov ended his goalless drought on Monday with his first goal since Jan. 19. But even after sitting out seven of eight games and scoring on his second shift, Kucherov said he was more worried about happened on his first shift when he made a mistake that led to Ottawa’s first goal.

“My first shift I made a huge mistake, that’s not really good,’’ Kucherov said. “I don’t know what to say. ... I didn’t feel more confidence (from scoring the goal), but maybe a little more at ease.’’

Kucherov was then asked what it would take to put a smile on his face.

“I don’t know how I’m going to play, but maybe when I play like Stammer (Steven Stamkos),’’ Kucherov said.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
“I don’t know how I’m going to play, but maybe when I play like Stammer (Steven Stamkos),’’

Attachments

• Captain.jpg
    Captain.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 15

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
Any chance he starts in Syracuse next season? Wasn't a fan of how Coop handled him 13 mins a game not a lot of pp time. Think it would be better for him 20 mins and be a go to guy . Like yzerman said about drouin he needs to play.

Still pissed that Tedward was horrendous the entire year. I've said this before but if he's on this team next year I will be infuriated.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's probably going to have to battle for his spot in camp like everyone else. I doubt he's already earned his spot on the team, but if he has a great camp, I can't see them sending him down just to send him down. They had plenty of opportunities to send him down this year and didn't do it.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I think he will be back. He has proven to have no business in the AHL, because he is just too good. If we send him back he will sit back and do nothing, because he says he I have dominated that level a year ago.

People need to keep in mind that he almost played twice as many games than last season and made the jump from juniors to the NHL. He was great till late in December. And around the end of January he surpassed the amount of games he played last season. He now knows what a full season is and how hard the NHL is. Expect him to hit the gym hard this summer and he will be much better in training camp. He is now used to such a long season.

I expect him to have a breakout year next season.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think he will be back. He has proven to have no business in the AHL, because he is just too good. If we send him back he will sit back and do nothing, because he says he I have dominated that level a year ago.

People need to keep in mind that he almost played twice as many games than last season and made the jump from juniors to the NHL. He was great till late in December. And around the end of January he surpassed the amount of games he played last season. He now knows what a full season is and how hard the NHL is. Expect him to hit the gym hard this summer and he will be much better in training camp. He is now used to such a long season.

I expect him to have a breakout year next season.

agreed on everything your saying adding I think cooper really was protecting the kid.

He knew by watching speed he was skating how much he was hitting etc.. He def slowed down long season.

I expect Kucherov to go hit the weights BIG time I expect him to come in 185 pounds and expect this year more if it will stay on I really feel he lost 20 pounds from start of year. This will make a big difference.

He has a jump at first from this season into like a 0.5 player he will have another jump at the end of the year not a major one yet though but to put him into say 0.6 for last month or so.

The year after? I think is when he has his serious jump and he either becomes a 70 point player or even more ppg. I truly predict and believe this. Is all about his learning defense even better using that speed and keeping his weight he is 21 when he is 23 he will have a more mature body and should become a true force.

This is really the same patterns ive seen from guys like zetterberg datsyuk now palat and nyquist I expect same things with Kucherov. It will take time we need to be patient and if 0.5 killorn type of numbers are not good enough next year for a spot being in the AHL is fine for him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
agreed on everything your saying adding I think cooper really was protecting the kid.

He knew by watching speed he was skating how much he was hitting etc.. He def slowed down long season.

I expect Kucherov to go hit the weights BIG time I expect him to come in 185 pounds and expect this year more if it will stay on I really feel he lost 20 pounds from start of year. This will make a big difference.

He has a jump at first from this season into like a 0.5 player he will have another jump at the end of the year not a major one yet though but to put him into say 0.6 for last month or so.

The year after? I think is when he has his serious jump and he either becomes a 70 point player or even more ppg. I truly predict and believe this. Is all about his learning defense even better using that speed and keeping his weight he is 21 when he is 23 he will have a more mature body and should become a true force.

This is really the same patterns ive seen from guys like zetterberg datsyuk now palat and nyquist I expect same things with Kucherov. It will take time we need to be patient and if 0.5 killorn type of numbers are not good enough next year for a spot being in the AHL is fine for him.

I really think you underestimate how valuable 0.5 ppg players are in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad