Kucherov wins his 2nd Art Ross!! Joins Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr & McDavid in '100 Assists Club'!!

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Gretz was sor far ahead of the rest.......nobody before or since was that much better than the rest of the league.
I chuckle at the guys today who try to diminish that. It just tells me they were not around then.

I was around then but I still have to laugh every time I see some stat about “the only players ever to ______” and it’s two guys who did it once, Lemieux who did it twice, and then Gretzky who did it eight times. I mean it’s just absurd how dominant that guy was.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Gretz was sor far ahead of the rest.......nobody before or since was that much better than the rest of the league.
I chuckle at the guys today who try to diminish that. It just tells me they were not around then.
Agree, what player has done or is doing -vs- their era of players is correct standard to use: when judging players historical worth. Any player during that era, or any era, had/has same opportunities to do special things. Gretzky did out-of-this-world achievements compared to his peers. That hasn't been seen since.... "The Great One" is on a tier by himself when it comes to who separated themselves from their era's pack. Anyone trying to diss what Gretzky did -vs- any era will sound ignorant to facts, silly, or ate-up for whatever reasoning.

Players today who could somewhat reach Gretzky's greatness
  • Kucherov has what it takes, but doubt we see him on any other NHL teams. So we won't see if Kuch could lead other team to playoff greatness (Think he would, but.....). Plus, Kucherov has sweet stats, but needs more insane individual stats to even be mentioned with Gretzky. Kuch has got Gretzky playoff pedigree going on though. As a Lightning fan: feel very fortunate to watch what Kucherov and teammates have done and still do. Most likely feel just like others fans of these NHL stars do.
  • McDavid is probably one who could get there best, but...... Gretzky carried any team he was on to success during post-season. McDavid is an individual stat machine, but needs more playoff & "Cup" pedigree to even be mentioned within same sentence with Gretzky greatness. As I just finish up mentioning both McDavid and Kucherov in same sentence as Gretzky greatness. Hopefully everyone understands what I'm trying to say.... lol
  • MacKinnon could reach it also if he continues stat path. But he's got to carry his team through playoffs more so. Those playoff short-comings from around 2018-2022, when Ave's were everyone's "Cup" favorites yr & yr out. Hurt MacKinnon NHL street credibility, especially with Ave's not even making deep runs to boot those years.
  • Ovi & Crosby gave it a great go, but don't think there's enough road left on their tracks, to reach Gretzky level of greatness -vs- peers. Both are NHL legends without question though. Like all the above are too, but...............
  • What the heck am I saying, just tried convincing myself others could do it. But..... no one is reaching Gretzky greatness! Must be dreaming right now or on something really strong. Or maybe both?

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
The NHL cannot be not happy with this outcome with 2 golden boys at 2nd and 3rd.
It's weird to think the NHL panders to Canadians in terms of needing it's top talent(s) to be Canadian, but then wants it's teams/audience to be American... no?

You'd think they'd be more concerned with getting Matthews to 70 g, Hughes to 80 a, Miller to 110 p (top 5), and Helle to 40 w's.

:huh::nod::sarcasm:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Players who have led their team in scoring by 50+ points

PlayerSeasonTeamMargin
Doug Gilmour1993Toronto53
Guy Lafleur1979Montreal52
Joe Sakic1991Quebec50
Mario Lemieux1986Pittsburgh58
Mario Lemieux1988Pittsburgh89
Mario Lemieux1989Pittsburgh84
Nikita Kucherov2024Tampa Bay54
Paul Kariya1996Anaheim64
Pavel Bure2001Florida55
Steve Yzerman1989Detroit62
Wayne Gretzky1981Edmonton89
Wayne Gretzky1982Edmonton107
Wayne Gretzky1983Edmonton90
Wayne Gretzky1984Edmonton89
Wayne Gretzky1985Edmonton73
Wayne Gretzky1986Edmonton77
Wayne Gretzky1987Edmonton75
Wayne Gretzky1991Los Angeles72

In all of NHL history, there have only been 18 instances where a player has led his team in scoring by 50+ points (Gretzky has eight of those - everyone else in NHL history has ten).

Close calls: Lemieux (1993), Ovechkin (2006), Dennis Maruk (1982) - 49 points each

I feel like most of Gretzky's records read like this (bolded).

Kucherovs been on a helluva run since 2017. Injuries in 2021 + 2022 result in a weird aberration of his peak but still impressive nonetheless.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Random Note: this is the 11th straight season a CHL alumni won the scoring title, after a stretch of six seasons where the winner played in Europe.

Reactions: Tofveve

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
  • Kucherov has what it takes, but doubt we see him on any other NHL teams. So we won't see if Kuch could lead other team to playoff greatness (Think he would, but.....). Plus, Kucherov has sweet stats, but needs more insane individual stats to even be mentioned with Gretzky. Kuch has got Gretzky playoff pedigree going on though. As a Lightning fan: feel very fortunate to watch what Kucherov and teammates have done and still do. Most likely feel just like others fans of these NHL stars do.
  • McDavid is probably one who could get there best, but...... Gretzky carried any team he was on to success during post-season. McDavid is an individual stat machine, but needs more playoff & "Cup" pedigree to even be mentioned within same sentence with Gretzky greatness. As I just finish up mentioning both McDavid and Kucherov in same sentence as Gretzky greatness. Hopefully everyone understands what I'm trying to say.... lol
  • MacKinnon could reach it also if he continues stat path. But he's got to carry his team through playoffs more so. Those playoff short-comings from around 2018-2022, when Ave's were everyone's "Cup" favorites yr & yr out. Hurt MacKinnon NHL street credibility, especially with Ave's not even making deep runs to boot those years.
  • Ovi & Crosby gave it a great go, but don't think there's enough road left on their tracks, to reach Gretzky level of greatness -vs- peers. Both are NHL legends without question though. Like all the above are too, but...............
  • What the heck am I saying, just tried convincing myself others could do it. But..... no one is reaching Gretzky greatness! Must be dreaming right now or on something really strong. Or maybe both?
I don't think any of these players can be mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Agree, what player has done or is doing -vs- their era of players is correct standard to use: when judging players historical worth. Any player during that era, or any era, had/has same opportunities to do special things. Gretzky did out-of-this-world achievements compared to his peers. That hasn't been seen since.... "The Great One" is on a tier by himself when it comes to who separated themselves from their era's pack. Anyone trying to diss what Gretzky did -vs- any era will sound ignorant to facts, silly, or ate-up for whatever reasoning.

Excellent post.
Cheers

Reactions: Tofveve

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It was like 1-6AM my guy...
Yeah....the time had nothing to do with it. We've gone all day and have cracked all of like 20 responses. HF is mad and deliberately just ignoring that this ever happened. That's exactly why I pointed it out. Had MacKinnon edged out Kucherov with Kucherov not getting the 100 assists HF would have had an all night bender.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I was told I was wrong and it was not possible when I said Mcdavid might not win the ross this year. As soon as kuch opened up a 10 point lead I knew it was game over. He is no stranger to outscoring mcdavid. He led the nhl in scoring for 99% of 17-18. Won in dominant fashion against mc in 18-19 and 23-24 now.

Also competiton aside...Certain oiler fans liked to make a point that Crosby lost an Art ross at 27 years old.
27 year old Crosby. 3rd in scoring, 1st in ppg
27 year old mcdavid. 3rd in scoring 2nd in ppg. Oh the irony.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
I think the 79pt margin in 1984 might be better when you consider the teammate was 2nd leading scorer in the league that year
He was on pace for 240 points and 102 goals that year through 57 games. Could have been even more comical of a record margin than it actually was. He also won the Ross after game 42 of that season ended. Teammate Paul Coffey was second with 126. Could have sat the remaining half of the season (38 games) with a scoring title win. Nothing like it.

Attachments

• B68FC379-946D-4B47-9B14-B2916BFFD9A4.jpeg
    B68FC379-946D-4B47-9B14-B2916BFFD9A4.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 1
  • E1BBEA34-52FF-47AC-ADB2-62EA127AA854.jpeg
    E1BBEA34-52FF-47AC-ADB2-62EA127AA854.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 1

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I was told I was wrong and it was not possible when I said Mcdavid might not win the ross this year. As soon as kuch opened up a 10 point lead I knew it was game over. He is no stranger to outscoring mcdavid. He led the nhl in scoring for 99% of 17-18. Won in dominant fashion against mc in 18-19 and 23-24 now.

Also competiton aside...Certain oiler fans liked to make a point that Crosby lost an Art ross at 27 years old.

Competition aside? Umm no, that, in combination with playing what if video games all night, is why Crosby losing a scoring race is brought up to begin with.

Repeat after me. Benn and Tavares do not equal Kucherov and MacKinnon. Also repeat after me, McDavid will win scoring races past the age of 26, unlike Crosby.

Your crowing would be more effective if you didn’t disappear each and every time throughout the journey when McDavid trimmed a 22 point deficit and took the lead.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA

You also said McDavid wouldn’t score 100 at a certain point yet he hit 132 points at game 75 in what was his third best statistical season due to injuries. That’s a number Sidney Crosby was only ever on pace to hit in 82 games with only half of a season sample. Crosby never wins an art Ross against Kucherov this year no matter what version you choose in 2024 levels. Kucherov has the third best point per game adjusted season of the salary cap era. No guarantee Crosby hits that in 2011 even with pace.

Competition matters greatly as does context. The 132 points this year wins every Art Ross from 1997-2022. 2024 McDavid wins the 2015 Art Ross off of assists alone even when you adjust to 2014-15 levels (88) and it would be one of the most dominant Art Ross wins in history.

I don’t know why Crosby keeps being brought up in relation to McDavid stuff. As great as Crosby is and was McDavid has clearly been better through their first 9 seasons respectively. He’s beyond that. He’s actually been statistically virtually the same as Lemieux’s first 9 seasons in a relative sense (127 to 125 per 82 GP adjusted) but with more personal awards. Before anyone attacks Lemieux is better at peak and I’m not arguing there just that in the long run McDavid can make it interesting and potentially end second. And for the record Kucherov deserves an immense amount of credit and respect for a historic season.

2015-16 to 2023-24:
EVG: 2.27, PPG: 0.60, SHG: 0.08

1984-85 to 1992-93:
EVG: 2.56, PPG: 0.98, SHG: 0.14

Connor McDavid (16-24):
645 GP: 335 G, 647 A, 982 P (1.52)

Mario Lemieux (85-93 adjusted to 16-24)
577 GP: 371 G, 526 A, 897 P (1.55)

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

How many Art Ross trophies has Crosby won again, since we are talking about individual awards?

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Competition aside? Umm no, that, in combination with playing what if video games all night, is why Crosby losing a scoring race is brought up to begin with.

Repeat after me. Benn and Tavares do not equal Kucherov and MacKinnon. Also repeat after me, McDavid will win scoring races past the age of 26, unlike Crosby.

Your crowing would be more effective if you didn’t disappear each and every time throughout the journey when McDavid trimmed a 22 point deficit and took the lead.
27 both third in scoring. And by dissapear you mean when I was on vacation? Mcdavid tied for the lead for 1 hour the entire dambln season lol. He was outplayed all year long proving once again he is not lemieux, gretzky tier. And why that huge "mcdavid will go down as the second best of all time" thread is laughable.

How many Art Ross trophies has Crosby won again, since we are talking about individual awards?
2 along with more importantly 3 cups and 2 smythes

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad