Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I thought he was one of our more effective players vs. SJ. Had some decent chances and flubbed on them. But, earlier in the year, he wasn't even getting those. The Stamkos line is probably going to need Miller, or some other puck distributor. Palat's more a glue guy on a line than a passer or shooter.

I wonder how effective Palat would be at driving a 4th line with Erne, Paquette and Callahan, the play style seems to match. He doesn't have Miller's zone entry ability but the physically would be through the roof and that LW depth is amazing, it's a nice tonal change from the speedy 3rd line which I don't think should be separated.

Johnson-Point-Kucherov
Miller-Stamkos-Killorn
Gourde-Cirelli-Joseph
Palat-Paquette-Erne/Callahan

Last edited:
Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wonder how effective Palat would be at driving a 4th line with Erne, Paquette and Callahan, the play style seems to match, he doesn't have Miller's zone entry ability but the physically would be through the roof and that LW depth is amazing, it's a nice tonal change from the speedy 3rd line which I don't think should be separated.

Johnson-Point-Kucherov
Miller-Stamkos-Killorn
Gourde-Cirelli-Joseph
Palat-Paquette-Erne/Callahan

Or on third. Maybe Gourde on 4th to provide speed. Palat-Cirelli-Joseph could be interesting. I don't think there's way to go wrong with throwing that bottom six into a blender. Every line is going to come out pretty good, at worst.

...Weird how our 3rd line always comes out 7s though. :p

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Or on third. Maybe Gourde on 4th to provide speed. Palat-Cirelli-Joseph could be interesting. I don't think there's way to go wrong with throwing that bottom six into a blender. Every line is going to come out pretty good, at worst.

...Weird how our 3rd line always comes out 7s though. :p

That's the secret.. :sarcasm:

Erne gets the next shot

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Scott Oake: "All star skills and games can be brutal on goaltenders. What were you thinking during this skill?"

Holtby: "Don't get in any positions where I'm going to get hurt in, and make sure Kucherov didn't score five hole. That was about the only two things I was thinking of."

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Kucherov always striving to improve for Lightning

Great article on Kucherov! Okay, who knew he has a 4 month old son??? o_O

Kuch is bae.

The article has convinced me now that athletes do verge on an insanity spectrum. I was lucky to meet Marty St. Louis once and the guy appeared calm and happy then he mentioned the Cup and for a second I saw "it" in his eyes.

Different guys but same habit

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
That story about him reminds me of GSP in the UFC. Georges "Rush" St-Pierre.
He was training a lot... even too much eventually. He was the best in his class weight and worked SO HARD to stay on top. He left (the first time) after a controversial win (some thought he should have lost). He was, in a way, burned-out.
Wanting to be better can be obsessive. If the person has an "analytic" tendency, they are going to want to "dissect" their game and perfect it in every possible way. That's what Kucherov seems to be doing in his garage.

Now.. my question. What does he do when he has a bad game on road? No artificial rink on the road.
I don't think he has anything to be jealous of Drouin anymore... still jealous about Mackinnon... ??

I also wonder how much "natural" talent he has. He works HARD. At the All-Star game, 3vs3, it was not his forte.
He relies a lot on teammates (I mean, a cerebral player utilizing teammates). He doesn't look like a dominant player until he actually does something impressive. He just looks like a regular player until he catches fire. I simply mean that he's not like the guy who is going to dangle through some players (à la Drouin) and get to the net. I think 3vs3 meant 2 less players for him to make his plays with, despite it meaning 2 more players on the other team too. He plays a team game and is among he league leaders... what can you ask more. Still, Kucherov himself is still looking to improve in every area. Hats off to him!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That story about him reminds me of GSP in the UFC. Georges "Rush" St-Pierre.
He was training a lot... even too much eventually. He was the best in his class weight and worked SO HARD to stay on top. He left (the first time) after a controversial win (some thought he should have lost). He was, in a way, burned-out.
Wanting to be better can be obsessive. If the person has an "analytic" tendency, they are going to want to "dissect" their game and perfect it in every possible way. That's what Kucherov seems to be doing in his garage.

Now.. my question. What does he do when he has a bad game on road? No artificial rink on the road.
I don't think he has anything to be jealous of Drouin anymore... still jealous about Mackinnon... ??

I also wonder how much "natural" talent he has. He works HARD. At the All-Star game, 3vs3, it was not his forte.
He relies a lot on teammates (I mean, a cerebral player utilizing teammates). He doesn't look like a dominant player until he actually does something impressive. He just looks like a regular player until he catches fire. I simply mean that he's not like the guy who is going to dangle through some players (à la Drouin) and get to the net. I think 3vs3 meant 2 less players for him to make his plays with, despite it meaning 2 more players on the other team too. He plays a team game and is among he league leaders... what can you ask more. Still, Kucherov himself is still looking to improve in every area. Hats off to him!

I think Kucherov has a lot of natural talent, but what separates him is he plays an incredibly unique style, which is all about dynamics. He has a great shot, but will throw change-ups now and again to keep a goalie guessing. Great speed, but operates in glide mode a lot, so when he turns it on, it catches you off-guard. I think every part of his game is about turning seemingly benign options (like skating at half speed) into a genuine weapon.

So, like most of our better players drafted in the Yzerman era, his greatest weapon is easily his IQ.

Reactions: Fixxer

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
pulled up stat 196 points sending passes to middle of ice giroux believe was second with 161 so guess is last few years... so points area on power play mcdavid was at 154 so this aint even counting the passes to stamkos which would love to see those stats lol..... but he doesnt care and he passes too much lol ohhh and the greatest was yesterday before the game a suggestion of giving him a day off cause was in a funk and he turns the pucks over too much and doesnt care lol at times while playing.... that was great lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad