Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seriously was there ever another player that made it look (and be) so easy to score?

So much of what Kucherov does is based in deception, like that play where he'll cruise along the blue line and then sort of sling shot the puck at the net. It's not even really a shot, but sometimes it goes in before the goalie even realizes the puck is coming at him. It's all dynamics. He might shoot hard, or a change up, or that weird whip-like thing he does. He might cruise around or he might give you a well-timed burst of speed. Might make the obvious high percentage play or try to pass through three people.

I think there've been a lot of really REALLY high IQ players who "sneezed" points like this. Pavel Datsyuk was kind of like that, but in a lower scoring era. Mario was kind of like that too. Mario scored in his sleep or while he was burning your village. Either way, he was scoring.

But anyway, Kucherov's really interesting. Outside of Mario, I don't remember a player more dangerous in a split second. Like, so often the puck is not on his stick for a full second and he turns it into a scoring chance.

And just like that, he's pretty close to a 40 goal pace.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
So much of what Kucherov does is based in deception, like that play where he'll cruise along the blue line and then sort of sling shot the puck at the net. It's not even really a shot, but sometimes it goes in before the goalie even realizes the puck is coming at him. It's all dynamics. He might shoot hard, or a change up, or that weird whip-like thing he does. He might cruise around or he might give you a well-timed burst of speed. Might make the obvious high percentage play or try to pass through three people.

I think there've been a lot of really REALLY high IQ players who "sneezed" points like this. Pavel Datsyuk was kind of like that, but in a lower scoring era. Mario was kind of like that too. Mario scored in his sleep or while he was burning your village. Either way, he was scoring.

But anyway, Kucherov's really interesting. Outside of Mario, I don't remember a player more dangerous in a split second. Like, so often the puck is not on his stick for a full second and he turns it into a scoring chance.

And just like that, he's pretty close to a 40 goal pace.
Pavel Datsyuk was the only player that I would say in the modern area was better at deception then Kuch

Reactions: TheGreatOutlaw

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
3 100 point seasons in a row would be unreal in today's NHL and really just lessens the shine on McDavid :laugh:
McDavid likely won't win the scoring title this year either with the 2-3 weeks he will be missing. Wondering how Draisaitl does with him out of the lineup. Kuch may be #2 in the league in points within the next month at this rate.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pavel Datsyuk was the only player that I would say in the modern area was better at deception then Kuch

I think I would put Kuch a little above Datsyuk in that regard. Dats was better with the puck--he was better than everybody with the puck--but every single part of Kucherov's game can change up in a split second. The only guy I've ever seen with a similar playstyle is Slava Kozlov, but Kuch is about three times better at everything than he was. Mind you, my references are always heavily Red Wing biased. ;)

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think I would put Kuch a little above Datsyuk in that regard. Dats was better with the puck--he was better than everybody with the puck--but every single part of Kucherov's game can change up in a split second. The only guy I've ever seen with a similar playstyle is Slava Kozlov, but Kuch is about three times better at everything than he was. Mind you, my references are always heavily Red Wing biased. ;)

I mean I've watched almost every game of Datsyuk's career as a huge wings fan and now as a Tampa fan I've watched the last 4 years of Kuch.

Both players are great. Datsyuk is the better player and I don't think its even debatable.

Where Kuch has the leg up is his shot and how fast he makes his passes
( the passing part also hurts Kuch as he is constantly is turning the puck over)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean I've watched almost every game of Datsyuk's career as a huge wings fan and now as a Tampa fan I've watched the last 4 years of Kuch.

Both players are great. Datsyuk is the better player and I don't think its even debatable.

Where Kuch has the leg up is his shot and how fast he makes his passes
( the passing part also hurts Kuch as he is constantly is turning the puck over)

I watched a healthy chunk of Datsyuk's career and agree he was the better player, but I think it's his defensive prowess that separates him. Offensively I think Kucherov has the edge.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I watched a healthy chunk of Datsyuk's career and agree he was the better player, but I think it's his defensive prowess that separates him. Offensively I think Kucherov has the edge.
Offensively it’s very close. I won’t bother to debate because it could go either way. Both great minded players

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
The offense might be close but Datsyuk’s far superior defensive play easily puts him ahead of Kuch. I don’t see Kuch ever winning a Selke, much less multiple ones.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
He should finish with more 70 point seasons than Marty or Vinny. Beat Stamkos will be tough as Stamkos is 3+ years older and has 4 (maybe 5) more 70-point seasons.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He should finish with more 70 point seasons than Marty or Vinny. Beat Stamkos will be tough as Stamkos is 3+ years older and has 4 (maybe 5) more 70-point seasons.

A lot of things depend on how well a player ages. For a minute or two, it looked like Stamkos was going to age horribly, but then he pulled it together and now there's a pretty good case to be made that he's peaking right now, as opposed to his Rocket trophy years. Stammer's career, when we look back on it, will be a little bit like Yzerman's . There will be two distinct versions of him and it'll be hard to measure them against each other.

Kucherov's really interesting though, because his play style is not really based on explosiveness, even though he has "explosiveness" in his toolbox. So I mean, how much of his game is going to be diminished when he starts losing speed? It might not be very much, because blowing by guys is only a fraction of what makes Kucherov dangerous, and he's really doing it less and less already. Again, there are some similarities to Mario here, even though they're kind of abstract similarities. What made Mario a beast in his later career was his ability to be dangerous at SLOW speed, or even while standing still, plus his hockey IQ. Kucherov is probably the best player in the league at slow speed, or at a dead stop, and his hockey IQ is off the charts. So I think he could be effective for a long, long time.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

MacKinnon on Kucherov before yesterday's game:
"He really slows the game down, attracts attention, and makes some good plays. I'd like to incorporate some of Kuch's composure out there. I don't know if I can slow it down like that."

"I play with a lot of pace, but Kuch does too - he can do both. A lot of times, it looks like he's just gliding out there and then he's got four or five points making unreal plays. He's one of the smartest players in the league. He didn't get 130 by accident."

As he closed in on goal, just as MacKinnon tried to stretch out and hook his arm in desperation, Kucherov slipped a shot through the legs of Colorado goalie Pavel Francouz to seal the dramatic win.

"Good pre-scout from the coaches, the goalie coach, and put it five-hole," Kucherov said.

"Kuch made a spectacular play," Cooper added.
"He's a smart player," Cooper said. "Those guys had been out there for a little bit on Colorado. That's Kuch thinking the game. That's what he does. He just has elite hockey IQ but what's more impressive is the jets he put on because we all know how fast MacKinnon is. So now not only does he have to go three-quarters of the ice at top speed, he's got to make a play to put it in the net and he did them both."

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I didn't know that was a thing. He plays slow most of the time, but he certainly has jets when he wants to use them.
I've seen a few dummies say it. Didn't he get beaten by McDavid only when he was in the fastest skater competition?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I didn't know that was a thing. He plays slow most of the time, but he certainly has jets when he wants to use them.

It became a thing a while ago in GDTs. People were beginning to think Kuch didn't have jets to turn on. Maybe that's on him for not doing it enough, but I'm just saying, that narrative is hopefully dead.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've seen a few dummies say it. Didn't he get beaten by McDavid only when he was in the fastest skater competition?

Yeah, and he made a close race of it too.

I would really like to see Point race McDavid. I think he's on that McDavid/Barzal level.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Yeah, and he made a close race of it too.

I would really like to see Point race McDavid. I think he's on that McDavid/Barzal level.
Think point was 2nd fastet skater behind mcdavid in his first all star appearance.
Dont think Kuch is near those guys, but he's not slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad