Player Discussion: Nikita Kucherov - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I don't mean to disparage the guy now, especially since things have picked up, but there are some realities of Kucherov's game that people love to ignore (Don't give me this Russian discriminatory shit, that's a weak card to play). Kucherov has lacked effort or made careless plays on plenty of occasions, especially early on in seasons. To deny this would be delusional. He does not compete as hard both ways as many of our players on a nightly basis. He has made plenty of plays over the years that would be grounds for benching/demotion of lesser players.

Even in the game last night, there were quite a few times he was in close proximity to the puck carrier and couldn't be bothered even trying to impede their progress, instead just keeping one hand on the stick and coasting back into the D zone, losing ground on his opponent. That's something you'll see from him every single game, because he cares more about offense than defense. I don't think he is consciously "not trying" as much as just prioritizing certain aspects of the game over others, but it's apparent nonetheless.

It's not really a concern of mine as he is obviously a great player who tends to raise his game when it matters most, but there are clear deficiencies when it comes to defensive effort and consistent compete level. When he's on his game, you live with it but when he's off, it's ugly. Fantastic player but these are the things that keep him out of that very top tier imo.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I don't mean to disparage the guy now, especially since things have picked up, but there are some realities of Kucherov's game that people love to ignore (Don't give me this Russian discriminatory ****, that's a weak card to play). Kucherov has lacked effort or made careless plays on plenty of occasions, especially early on in seasons. To deny this would be delusional. He does not compete as hard both ways as many of our players on a nightly basis. He has made plenty of plays over the years that would be grounds for benching/demotion of lesser players.

Even in the game last night, there were quite a few times he was in close proximity to the puck carrier and couldn't be bothered even trying to impede their progress, instead just keeping one hand on the stick and coasting back into the D zone, losing ground on his opponent. That's something you'll see from him every single game, because he cares more about offense than defense. I don't think he is consciously "not trying" as much as just prioritizing certain aspects of the game over others, but it's apparent nonetheless.

It's not really a concern of mine as he is obviously a great player who tends to raise his game when it matters most, but there are clear deficiencies when it comes to defensive effort and consistent compete level. When he's on his game, you live with it but when he's off, it's ugly. Fantastic player but these are the things that keep him out of that very top tier imo.
Nobody would (should) argue this.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Nobody would (should) argue this.

Well apparently it's anti-Russian to suggest such things :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I don't want to seem down on him. He has looked more engaged since the benching against Dallas, and based on his second half last year I'm still holding out hope that he can crack 100.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think he will amp up the offensive production but you are right about him being a liability at times. Really can get lazy defensively.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's the same player he's always been defensively. He doesn't dog it out like Cirelli, but he's not just cruising along like vintage ovy or Kessel. He's usually in good position and comes up with some timely steals.

Disagree, he was much more active defensively when he was in Cooper's doghouse. He used to make HUGE efforts on the backcheck that separated him from the "Ovy's," now it's just when he feels like it or when he's the one who caused the turnover. He does cheat more on offense now but he also scores more so there's a tradeoff.

It's typical for some players to let off when they get a longer leash but still, his 2 best playoff runs have come on seasons where he was the most defensively sound so it's not like playing better defense hurt his offensive production in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Disagree, he was much more active defensively when he was in Cooper's doghouse. He used to make HUGE efforts on the backcheck that separated him from the "Ovy's," now it's just when he feels like it or when he's the one who caused the turnover. He does cheat more on offense now but he also scores more so there's a tradeoff.

It's typical for some players to let off when they get a longer leash but still, his 2 best playoff runs have come on seasons where he was the most defensively sound so it's not like playing better defense hurt his offensive production in the playoffs.

By "always" I meant more his 86 - 128 point years.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
By "always" I meant more his 86 - 128 point years.

Well then yes but I think he needs to find a middle ground, "defensive liability and turnovers" were the last things associated with 2014-2016 Kucherov so it's not like he's incapable of playing with less risk.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Kuch is hitting 100 this year, book it.

Would make him only the third player in the lockout era to get three consecutive 100-pt seasons after Ovi and McDavid (Crosby would have had it without missing much of 2010-11)

Reactions: Zwui21

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Would make him only the third player in the lockout era to get three consecutive 100-pt seasons after Ovi and McDavid (Crosby would have had it without missing much of 2010-11)
Needs 40 points in 31 games. Not exactly a tall order for him.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019

There's no doubt in my mind he will.
Powerplay still not working, once that picks up he'll have some 4 points night that will boost his point total

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
There's no doubt in my mind he will.
Powerplay still not working, once that picks up he'll have some 4 points night that will boost his point total
Both he and Stammer are due a couple of those 4 point nights and tonight could well be one of them.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Both he and Stammer are due a couple of those 4 point nights and tonight could well be one of them.
Seems this year he’s been more consistent, less explosive in terms of getting on the scoresheet. We haven’t seen too many games where he’s piled on, but plenty with 1-2 points. In fact, he’s got 2 points in each of his last 5 games.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Seems this year he’s been more consistent, less explosive in terms of getting on the scoresheet. We haven’t seen too many games where he’s piled on, but plenty with 1-2 points. In fact, he’s got 2 points in each of his last 5 games.
Yes he had two 4 point games earlier but he has really stepped it up since having his ice time reduced that one game. If Coop keeps Point, Stammer and Kuch together there are going to be some big games coming. They should eat the Sharks tonight.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Those who have played 500 games as a Bolt:

Lecavalier: 1037 gp
St. Louis: 972 gp
Stamkos: 797 gp
Hedman: 748 gp
Kubina: 662 gp
Killorn: 569 gp
Richards: 552 gp
Johnson: 518 gp

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
with 2 points tonight, Kuch moves past Matthews to tie Carlson for 10th in league scoring (Kuch has a game in hand on Carlson)

1. Draisaitl 83pts
2. McDavid 79pts
3. Pastrnak 75pts
4. MacKinnon 73pts
5. Panarin 71pts
6. Marchand 69pts
7. Eichel 66pts
8. Kane 66pts
9. Huberdeau 66pts
10. Kucherov 65pts
11. Carlson 65pts

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat must be closing in on 500. Doesn't feel like he's missed THAT much more time than Johnson.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Over/Under 99.5 points for Kuch?

His pace gets him 99.3 over 81 since he missed a game.

I am going to take the over on that personally. He has 24 in 16 since the new year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad