Confirmed with Link: Nikita Gusev (VGK) to NJD (2020 3rd, 2021 2nd)

Omark

Tesla stock
Aug 5, 2011
Espoo, Finland
Russian folks- scouting report and reasonable expectations, plz
Semi-pro KHL sports bettor here.

Gusev has Datsyuk type soft hands but even better passing ability. The best power play player I’ve seen. His hockey IQ is insane.

However he has notable weaknesses also. He’s quite slow skater and physically weak. He also doesn’t play as fast paced hockey that NHL’ers usually do. This is why he’s bigger risk than Panarin when he entered the league but the potential is the same. Gusev beat Panarin in SKA in terms of PPG.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
That isn’t a lot of money in an 80 million cap world.

And Simmonds got $5 million for one year and people were OK with it even though there's really no guarantee he's worth it any longer. I feel more confident about Gusev contributing than Simmonds so yeah 4.5 AAV for 2 years is fine by me.

Reactions: Khione

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If Gusev is bad, he can be waived. Vegas had no trouble forcing Shipachev out of the league when they didn't want him. I don't think he's bad.

I wonder if they don't think about moving Zacha for futures. I guess injuries happen. But yeah, this team should score a lot more next season.

Reactions: Khione and NjDevsRR

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
4.5 mil a year for a guy that never played in the NHL, anybody worried?

Of course - anytime there's one of these Russian guys who have spectacular hands and look ultra-nifty, we all go off the deep end. I remember the Larianov, Kozlov, Loktionov etc hype... or if we watch guys transition from another league - Tedenby highlights (playing against men!!), Reid Boucher > Stamkos etc...

That said - Goose looks fantastic to me. Of course, I was a happy passenger on all of those hype trains. There's been some 'skating, defense, work ethic' slander, but I can't see it in the highlights, so it must not be true. :sarcasm:

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
If Gusev is bad, he can be waived. Vegas had no trouble forcing Shipachev out of the league when they didn't want him. I don't think he's bad.

I wonder if they don't think about moving Zacha for futures. I guess injuries happen. But yeah, this team should score a lot more next season.

Wow...move Zacha, who has proven to be a serviceable NHL player AT THE LEAST, because we acquired an unproven player from a league with a history of players not translating well to the NA game.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think that largely depends on what we get from Subban.

I still think the defense is terribly ill-conceived. I have said it in the past I will say it again, I don't think the players are bad, I just think they don't fit together. It is thrown together in a mixed up fashion with no real vision in my opinion.

I think the vision is nimble puck moving transition on defense. Apparently that goes back to Shero’s PIT days. And yes I think he’s doing it as a bit of a patchwork but there NHL being what it is nowadays you have to play some moneyball to make a competitive roster work. I don’t think Shero expected to “go for it” heading into this offseason. One more year would have been better . Jettison Greene and have a year of Smith to evaluate and hopefully see the goaltending stabilize and move forward from there but the Subban and Gusev trades materialized and pushed things up one season. To me the fact that Shero has done this without crippling future cap or giving away a first round pick or A level prospect is pretty impressive.

I think this season’s team is potentially much much better than the version that made the playoffs two years ago. As always they’ll need good health and some good fortune but if the young players take continued steps forward and if Hughes is the real thing (neither of which are pie in the sky projections) and if the goalies can play well for about 35 games each (figure they each have five or six clunkers even in a good year), then this team can compete for a playoff spot with the patchwork defense.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
i mean this guy is supposedly better than shipachyov, who never got to bust into the NHL solely because he got screwed by a raw deal by GMGM. i think we're gonna be okay
Hope you're right, and obviously I'm rooting for him, just not setting my expectations too high

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad