Confirmed with Link: Nikita Gusev (VGK) to NJD (2020 3rd, 2021 2nd)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Steal of the off season.

I've been following his career, watched SKA games etc, he's fantastic.

Subban, Hughes, Gusev...quite an overhaul, well done.

Which gives you some sense of how conservative most GMs seem to be. Other than Hughes, many teams could probably have matched what NJ gave up for Subban and Gusev, even if it meant dumping some salary to another team to make room for Subban. Ray did a good job leveraging cap space, but teams in bigger need of win now players could have done this and didn't. While we will never know, I think if Hall's contract had one more year on it, I don't think Shero makes these moves this past offseason in which case, both players may have been traded for even less....

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Our goose flies west for the winter

tenor.gif

Reactions: Bleedred

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Hello! I have unfortunately not been able to watch the Devils play this year. I was hoping someone could chime in with an update on Gusev. At this point, does he look to have a future longer than the 2-year contract he signed? Has he showed strengths that are benefitting the team? Weaknesses that are detrimental? Thanks!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Hello! I have unfortunately not been able to watch the Devils play this year. I was hoping someone could chime in with an update on Gusev. At this point, does he look to have a future longer than the 2-year contract he signed? Has he showed strengths that are benefitting the team? Weaknesses that are detrimental? Thanks!

He is a very smart player that is clearly gifted offensively. He has a very good wrist shot, accurate and powerful. He is, so far, money in the shootout. He can absolutely hang with highly skilled NHL players.

Downsides: He's very slow relative to NHL speed. To me, that is what is going to hold him back most at this level. He is still figuring the defensive game out. While he is improving, I doubt he will ever be a guy you can count on in the defensive zone. He's also quite easy to knock off the puck. He's probably never going to be a guy that can hold possession in the corners or play a cycle game.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He will become an offensive power house once he adjusts to the new league and paired with skilled teammates

Well, he can score points even with his current linemates. 2 primary assists vs Habs, and it was nice assists. As I said ealier this season, if he played with someone like Patrick Kane (or even players like PLD and Atckinson), he would have been close to a PPG pace right now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm still bemused by the fact Goose got 100x more coaching sitting with Elias in the scratch box for a weekend than he's otherwise gotten all year.

I suspect he would be where he irregardless of Patty being in the box with him.

He is a super talented player. He needed time to adjust. People writing him off were being silly and premature.

It’s a bad habit with many players on this board. Especially with kids.

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
I suspect he would be where he irregardless of Patty being in the box with him.

He is a super talented player. He needed time to adjust. People writing him off were being silly and premature.

It’s a bad habit with many players on this board. Especially with kids.

There's no way that someone who could do this wouldn't be a good player in this league.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Gusev is willing to shoot and he has a good shot. As his defensive game evens out and he can hold his own at even strength you’d expect him to be able to play well with a more skilled center. How long has NJ been looking for a shooter to add to Palms? He’s what they need they just have to continue to develop some of the away from the puck elements and he should be able to help tremendously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->