Nikita Gusev is already getting scratched..

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Gusev is legit trash for the NHL game. Another failed Russian

Yeah he has the skill but seemed to bring that KHL mindset of individual effort with him. He'll need to learn to use linemates more and play a team game if he wants to stay

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Should go back to being scratched, played his worst game last night in a season where he has played some horrendous games. Ended up getting benched after having 5 turnovers in the Devils zone in a single shift.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So now he's been the best Devil in Corsi for 2 (or even 3 - I don't follow this shit very close) games in a row. Devils fans should be happy...

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I don’t get how you even entertain the idea of putting a soft player like Gusev with the 18 yr old kid on the same line. It’s like you’re trying to come up with the worst and most unreliable combination possible. Creativity doesn’t do much if you can’t keep/come up with pucks.

Doesn’t take a genious to figure out that’s not going to work.

You’d actually be surprised how many people think applying EA NHL combos work the same as in real life...

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Devils fans just can't accept it but your team flatout sucks, that's why Gusev looks bad. Everyone looks bad in their first year on a really bad team except for franchise caliber players. I wonder who will be the scapegoat when he leaves. I guess it will be Hall's turn when he eventually gives up on that tire fire and makes it known that he's leaving 100%.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Devils fans just can't accept it but your team flatout sucks, that's why Gusev looks bad. Everyone looks bad in their first year on a really bad team except for franchise caliber players. I wonder who will be the scapegoat when he leaves. I guess it will be Hall's turn when he eventually gives up on that tire fire and makes it known that he's leaving 100%.
What the... Devils fans here on HF have definitely accepted that the team sucks this year. But that's not why Gusev has received criticism towards his play. He is playing better though which is nice to see, it really looks like he is adjusting slowly to the NHL game. He definitely isn't a "scapegoat" of any sort. Hall already seems like he's somewhat given up and is hopefully traded soon.

That post was bad, man.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Coming from this devils fan, he's been far from the problem. He's actually been far and away our best producer at 5v5 at 2.85 p/60. We didn't trade for him to be a possession beast or elite defensive winger. He's here to create offense and he's done just that. His goal differential at ES is 0, so I don't really see the issue...

Reactions: thethinglonger

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For the record, after having been terrifyingly hopeless in CF% about a month ago (in the low 30s!), Gusev is now up to the mid-40s (interestingly, he's just behind Patrick Kane, of all people). So he's certainly showing significant improvement. Maybe getting benched helped. :dunno:

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I mean, this is an absurd take. If you think Devils fans don't think the team sucks, you have not spent any time on our board.

Gusev has been much better the last few games, despite not picking up any points his overall game has improved vastly. No one on our board has been blaming him for anything. He was atrocious for long stretches this season and deserved every ounce of criticism coming his way, and hopefully he has now turned a corner and we see more of what he's shown lately.

Reactions: thethinglonger

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
For the record, after having been terrifyingly hopeless in CF% about a month ago (in the low 30s!), Gusev is now up to the mid-40s (interestingly, he's just behind Patrick Kane, of all people). So he's certainly showing significant improvement. Maybe getting benched helped. :dunno:

Gusev has been much more responsible defensively lately. And to go from something like 33% to 43% in similar'ish games, means you had to be playing > 50% for decent stretches. At any rate, as others have said he's never going to be a defensive forward, but I do think on any non John Hynes coached team his numbers would appear better.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Kuzy's when asked about Gusev recently (Google translate)

- A question in the same topic about Nikita Gusev. Why does such a super-creative hockey player fail to prove himself in the NHL? At the world championship he was one of the best.
- Everything is simple here: our hockey, hockey at the World Cup and in the NHL - three different planets. It is not so easy to move from one planet to another and play. You need to understand what the coach wants from you. All this takes a lot of time. Nikita now needs to hold on, endure. I think he will soon understand how everything is arranged here. Plus it’s not easy for him that he got here during the chaotic hockey. Just what we are talking about is "like a chicken without a head." People cling to this, one mistake here is very expensive.
“Maybe if he doesn't go to New Jersey, take him to the Capitals?”
- We don’t have money ( laughs ).
- You looked good in the top three at the time in the youth team, and played as an adult.
- Yes Yes. Nikita is a talented guy. He understands hockey. The question here is how many creative hockey players the coach wants to see in the team, and how many people will carry the piano. Yes, now everyone is trying to do the dirty work, but the quota for creative players is very limited. Each organization is based on what kind of hockey they want to see. God willing, Nikita will be fine. He is a guy with a head. Maybe it can’t push around somewhere on the defensive, but when the time comes, it can win back or score. Such forwards are appreciated. There are games in which you need to go out and decide where everything can determine one moment. One chance to play is “five by four” or “three by two”. This is just for such strikers.

Reactions: max21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->