Confirmed with Link: Nikita Gusev 1 Year ELC

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Leipsic is in the top professional HOCKEY league in the world, the NHL.
The only reason Gusev hasn't played in the NHL is because he chose not to until this point. Leipsic is a tweener in the best league. Gusev should be a top 6 forward in the NHL.

Terrible logic on your part.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
The only reason Gusev hasn't played in the NHL is because he chose not to until this point. Leipsic is a tweener in the best league. Gusev should be a top 6 forward in the NHL.

Terrible logic on your part.

It's been 2 games since Gusev signed while Cale Makar got games in and he came from NCAA playing vs amateurs

Jus sayin

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
The team is handling it right so far. I doubt they change the lineup until they lose.

Gusev is best used as an Ace-in the-hole, a player who can spark a team after a rough patch similar to what happened with Stone.

I personally think it is a given he will play at some point. Gusev is like a Panarin, Kane or a Gaudreau: we don’t have a flashy, obscenely skilled offensive threat like this on the roster right now, so of course the team can use him.

He is also a top 6 forward which makes it harder to introduce him into the lineup I would think. The best course of action would be to move someone else to the 3rd line not put Gusev on it, which could be wound some egos.

Marchy should probably move to the 3rd once Gusev settles in.

Reactions: Emrasie

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's been 2 games since Gusev signed while Cale Makar got games in and he came from NCAA playing vs amateurs

Jus sayin
Because Gallant doesn't want to f*** with the roster on a 3 game playoff win streak. I'm sure Nikita understands. If Vegas can close this out in 5 he'll have plenty of time to prove to Gallant he should get a look in round 2.

Colorado plugging in a top D prospect to supplement a paper thin defense is not remotely comparable to a team riding high and posting 3+ goals against their opposition for a 3 game win streak.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Right now the Knights are 1 line + defense + goalie team. It works (so far) vs Sharks, but will it work vs the next opponents? They need to get other lines going as well.

There is a lot of talk about how bad the Sharks defense and goaltending is. But it raises the question of why the other lines have struggled so much to score.

The Sharks still have a better offense than several other teams in the playoffs so we may not need to score as many goals though.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
There is a lot of talk about how bad the Sharks defense and goaltending is. But it raises the question of why the other lines have struggled so much to score.

The Sharks still have a better offense than several other teams in the playoffs so we may not need to score as many goals though.
I mean we haven't really needed all 4 lines to get going, but it was good to see the other two lines and least put one in the back of the net last game. 4 line though goals are just an added bonus, they've come out and done their job exceptionally well the last 3 games.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

He speaks

So many of the interpretations were quite different form his answers, but bear in mind that this interpreter has probably worked with him a while, so he is extending many of the answers. Translated literally, it's basically,"I want to play, I want to play, I want to play, there were no guarantees, I like the team."

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I would play him. It looks like the sharks are on the ropes and Jones is starting. If he looks bad and we lose game 5 then put Nosek back in for game 6. I would still like for him to play with Marchy and Karlsson, because as much as I like Reilly Smith, that line isn't scoring except for a one or two goes that I can think of and could use a player that can be a playmaker and a sniper to get them going. They have had some good looks, but haven't put it in the back of the net. Especially Karlsson. He's missed multiple shots on breakaways or on open cross ice passes that he would bury last year.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
I would play him. It looks like the sharks are on the ropes and Jones is starting. If he looks bad and we lose game 5 then put Nosek back in for game 6. I would still like for him to play with Marchy and Karlsson, because as much as I like Reilly Smith, that line isn't scoring except for a one or two goes that I can think of and could use a player that can be a playmaker and a sniper to get them going. They have had some good looks, but haven't put it in the back of the net. Especially Karlsson. He's missed multiple shots on breakaways or on open cross ice passes that he would bury last year.

I just watched a lot of tape on him and we have no one on this roster that offensively gifted and creative. What has not been brought up yet is how much a player like this will benefit from playing with the most talented players he has ever played with.

I know he has had talented guys on his line in Russia, referring more to overall talent of the league.

But the line I want to see is Gusev-Karlsson-Tuch.

Patches-Stastny-Stone
Gusev-Karlsson-Tuch
Marchy-Eakin-Smith
Carrier-Belly-Reaves

(After we lose one of course.)

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Gerard Gallant is not inserting a purely offensive player into his winning play off lineup even if the guy looks like a 100 pts scorer

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I tend to agree that with a two game win cushion, now is the best possible time to give Gusev a chance to show what he's got in game.

Gerard Gallant is not inserting a purely offensive player into his winning play off lineup even if the guy looks like a 100 pts scorer
Knowing what I know about your interests in Russian players, this feels like passive aggressive sarcasm.

But I mean...the guy has to transition from big to small ice, he needs to gel with the team, he needs to find a line that works for him, and he needs to learn Gallant's system. He has to do all this and you're expecting him to be a Kucherov level talent from the jump?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Its a massive change going from the KHL to stepping into the smaller ice of the NHL playoffs. VGK is doing it right by bringing him in slowly.

VGK will close it out tonight and get a bit of a rest until round 2 starts. I would expect he will get into the lineup then.

The more practises the better

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I just watched a lot of tape on him and we have no one on this roster that offensively gifted and creative. What has not been brought up yet is how much a player like this will benefit from playing with the most talented players he has ever played with.

I know he has had talented guys on his line in Russia, referring more to overall talent of the league.

But the line I want to see is Gusev-Karlsson-Tuch.

Patches-Stastny-Stone
Gusev-Karlsson-Tuch
Marchy-Eakin-Smith
Carrier-Belly-Reaves

(After we lose one of course.)

Tuch's problems is his lack of effort. Tuch's effort was much better in the last game and it paid off for him with that beautiful pouncing on the loose puck and scoring while leaving 3 sharks in the dust. The reason why he needs to be paired with Karlsson and Marchy is because those two guys are shoot first guys (especially Marchy). Gusev's shooting and passing ability will open it up for Marchy and Wild Bill. Smith is great on the breakaway and whenever he decides to position himself near the goalie and score greasy goals down low. Putting Gusev on the 3rd line doesn't solve the "top line" scoring issue.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't know what Tuch's issue is, and I'll definitely hear what you're saying.

I just tend to disregard when people say there's a lack of effort because it just seems like an easy catch-all explanation for players sucking when, in reality, they're just not playing well at all for some unknown reason.

I've spent most of my working life managing people, and when they suck the general theory is that they're just not trying. I've found that the appearance of lack of effort is usually a symptom of something else being wrong. I've got no clue what that is in this case.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I don't know what Tuch's issue is, and I'll definitely hear what you're saying.

I just tend to disregard when people say there's a lack of effort because it just seems like an easy catch-all explanation for players sucking when, in reality, they're just not playing well at all for some unknown reason.

I've spent most of my working life managing people, and when they suck the general theory is that they're just not trying. I've found that the appearance of lack of effort is usually a symptom of something else being wrong. I've got no clue what that is in this case.
I'm not sure if it's a lack of effort because he's lazy or a lack of effort because what he's trying is not working, but the effort is so much a big effort for me, and I think Han has mentioned it a couple of times, but it's the type of game he's playing.

He's trying to play a skilled game, and he's just not there yet to do it with enough consistency to get results. Where he has had success is where he uses his size, plays like a bull, gets into the dirty areas and steamrolls players out is way. But right now he seems to be going for the sick dangles and the pretty plays and most the time ends up losing the puck. He can flash his skills occasionally but he really needs to stop using it as his go to move.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So many of the interpretations were quite different form his answers, but bear in mind that this interpreter has probably worked with him a while, so he is extending many of the answers. Translated literally, it's basically,"I want to play, I want to play, I want to play, there were no guarantees, I like the team."

I wonder if the interpreter was provided by the organization or by Milstein, might affect the extensions too...

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I wonder if the interpreter was provided by the organization or by Milstein, might affect the extensions too...
I assume the agent would use their own translator in negotiations, but I think the team generally provides the translator for the players.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
tenor.gif

Reactions: Big Ben Healy

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah, they say, defense wins playoffs, but right now the whole 3rd line has scored 2 goals in 5 games. And as far as I remember, Tuch scored from MaxPacs' assist, so it wasn't even the 3rd line's goal.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'd put him in for game 6 and take Carrier out (although Carrier has done nothing to deserve being taken out)
Gusev on the 3rd line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->