Nik Ehlers v RNH

Discussion in 'Polls - (hockey-related only)' started by Filthy Dangles, Feb 10, 2019.

?

Nik Ehlers v RNH

1. Nik Ehlers

2. RNH

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. North Cole

North Cole ♧ Lem

Yeah I dont know how you have a guy who kills absolutely no penalties 2nd for the selke?

Hes not getting the pp time that nuge gets, but his QoT is top1% in the league. I like Ehlers and think hes good, but the people saying "Ehlers ainec" are out to lunch

2. DashingDane

DashingDane PoMo Raus!!

I think proclaiming him a Selke candidate is going overboard as well :laugh: but I definitely think his defensive skills are underrated in general. I also don't think RNH and Ehlers are good compatibles to begin with. No one should be saying AINEC on either side.

With that being said, I'd love to to watch a game with the speed of McJesus and Fly on the same line. I'm not sure the cameramen would be able to keep up :naughty:

North Cole likes this.
  3. McJesusSaves97

McJesusSaves97 Registered User

This is easily Nuge AINEC

4. Connor McConnor

Connor McConnor Registered User

He plays 16 minutes a night with a 57% oZS while playing 0 PK producing at a career worst pace compared to a guy with a 46% oZS% and being one of his team's top PKers producing at nearly a PPG pace. That's not sheltered to you?

5. Kyosama

Kyosama Registered User

Quality of competition is in the 85th percentile. Nuge is in the 86th. His line is matched against top lines at home. Not being on the PK doesn't automatically make you sheltered, nor does not being on the line that's preferred to take defensive zone draws. There's a huge difference between being "sheltered" and not being used in a defensive role.

JetsWillFly4Ever likes this.
  6. Peggy

Peggy Registered User

RNH best season is 56 points

Ehlers lasts 2 seasons he scored 64 and 60

7. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

That does not change the fact that possession stats do not reflect individual abilities to any great degree. When he is not with McDavid, which is most of the time, Nuge is going to be carrying almost all of the core defensive load on his line with wingers who are playing above their pay grade. Ehlers is never going to carry the defensive load on his line. Moreover which group do you think will have the better possession numbers:

Ehlers, Scheifele, Wheeler or Khaira, Nuge, Puljujarvi

while playing against the oppositions top two lines. And this does not even take into consideration the difference in the defense pairing that either player has to work with.

8. Kyosama

Kyosama Registered User

I'm not even really sure how I got here. Somebody asked for QoC stats, I pointed out where they were and said that Ehlers wasn't sheltered, then they took it as an argument in the Ehlers/Nuge debate, which it wasn't, so I reiterated that Ehlers isn't sheltered, said why, and again said nothing about Nuge.

So again, I'm not debating who's better defensively or overall here, I was simply providing facts to somebody who asked. Nuge is a great player and a great defensive player, I like him a lot and consider this to be very close with my vote going towards my own biases.

9. lawrence

lawrence Registered User

Voted Ehlers before I read any comments of this thread. Didn’t even look at both players stats. This was based on solely of what I’ve seen from both players from the past.

Rnh i believe did improve under hitch this season, but never really been a real fan of his. He’s a good player and all, but I do like ehlers more. I voted him, but it’s only by a slight margin.

10. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

I appreciate the reply. Your's was simply the most recent post on the topic so I quoted it. There was no intention on my part to suggest that you had tried to make the case for Ehlers over Nuge defensively.

Kyosama likes this.
  11. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

Hitch had nothing to do with any improvement in Nuge. He has been pretty much the same player for the last two years. The key change happened when McLellan asked him to think more about the offensive side of his game.

lawrence likes this.
  12. JetsWillFly4Ever

JetsWillFly4Ever Registered User

I'm not going to dispute QOT, as clearly Ehlers linemates are better, but Ehlers drives the possession numbers of that line. When you swap Connor (who is still a very good forward in his own right) onto the line with Scheifele-Wheeler, their possession and xGF numbers plummet.

Ehlers is arguably the biggest driver of possession on our team. Perreault is also really good and Buff is great on defense.

13. Fourier

Fourier Registered User

Possession numbers are not equal to defensive ability. Hall is a great possession player but has been a very suspect defensive player most of his career. These stats were being used to show that Ehlers was better defensively than Nuge.