Nik Ehlers v RNH

Nik Ehlers v RNH

• Nik Ehlers

• RNH

Results are only viewable after voting.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Would love to see him include quality of teammates or quality of opposition in that analysis. Last time I checked Ehlers was playing on a top 3 Western Conference team the past 3 years while playing heavily sheltered minutes.

Yeah I dont know how you have a guy who kills absolutely no penalties 2nd for the selke?

Hes not getting the pp time that nuge gets, but his QoT is top1% in the league. I like Ehlers and think hes good, but the people saying "Ehlers ainec" are out to lunch

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Yeah I dont know how you have a guy who kills absolutely no penalties 2nd for the selke?

Hes not getting the pp time that nuge gets, but his QoT is top1% in the league. I like Ehlers and think hes good, but the people saying "Ehlers ainec" are out to lunch

I think proclaiming him a Selke candidate is going overboard as well :laugh: but I definitely think his defensive skills are underrated in general. I also don't think RNH and Ehlers are good compatibles to begin with. No one should be saying AINEC on either side.

With that being said, I'd love to to watch a game with the speed of McJesus and Fly on the same line. I'm not sure the cameramen would be able to keep up :naughty:

Reactions: North Cole

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It's on there, last few of the SKATR chart. Definitely hasn't been sheltered this season.

He plays 16 minutes a night with a 57% oZS while playing 0 PK producing at a career worst pace compared to a guy with a 46% oZS% and being one of his team's top PKers producing at nearly a PPG pace. That's not sheltered to you?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He plays 16 minutes a night with a 57% oZS while playing 0 PK producing at a career worst pace compared to a guy with a 46% oZS% and being one of his team's top PKers producing at nearly a PPG pace. That's not sheltered to you?

Quality of competition is in the 85th percentile. Nuge is in the 86th. His line is matched against top lines at home. Not being on the PK doesn't automatically make you sheltered, nor does not being on the line that's preferred to take defensive zone draws. There's a huge difference between being "sheltered" and not being used in a defensive role.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Quality of competition is in the 85th percentile. Nuge is in the 86th. His line is matched against top lines at home. Not being on the PK doesn't automatically make you sheltered, nor does not being on the line that's preferred to take defensive zone draws. There's a huge difference between being "sheltered" and not being used in a defensive role.
That does not change the fact that possession stats do not reflect individual abilities to any great degree. When he is not with McDavid, which is most of the time, Nuge is going to be carrying almost all of the core defensive load on his line with wingers who are playing above their pay grade. Ehlers is never going to carry the defensive load on his line. Moreover which group do you think will have the better possession numbers:

Ehlers, Scheifele, Wheeler or Khaira, Nuge, Puljujarvi

while playing against the oppositions top two lines. And this does not even take into consideration the difference in the defense pairing that either player has to work with.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That does not change the fact that possession stats do not reflect individual abilities to any great degree. When he is not with McDavid, which is most of the time, Nuge is going to be carrying almost all of the core defensive load on his line with wingers who are playing above their pay grade. Ehlers is never going to carry the defensive load on his line. Moreover which group do you think will have the better possession numbers:

while playing against the oppositions top two lines. And this does not even take into consideration the difference in the defense pairing that either player has to work with.

I'm not even really sure how I got here. Somebody asked for QoC stats, I pointed out where they were and said that Ehlers wasn't sheltered, then they took it as an argument in the Ehlers/Nuge debate, which it wasn't, so I reiterated that Ehlers isn't sheltered, said why, and again said nothing about Nuge.

So again, I'm not debating who's better defensively or overall here, I was simply providing facts to somebody who asked. Nuge is a great player and a great defensive player, I like him a lot and consider this to be very close with my vote going towards my own biases.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Voted Ehlers before I read any comments of this thread. Didn’t even look at both players stats. This was based on solely of what I’ve seen from both players from the past.

Rnh i believe did improve under hitch this season, but never really been a real fan of his. He’s a good player and all, but I do like ehlers more. I voted him, but it’s only by a slight margin.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm not even really sure how I got here. Somebody asked for QoC stats, I pointed out where they were and said that Ehlers wasn't sheltered, then they took it as an argument in the Ehlers/Nuge debate, which it wasn't, so I reiterated that Ehlers isn't sheltered, said why, and again said nothing about Nuge.

So again, I'm not debating who's better defensively or overall here, I was simply providing facts to somebody who asked. Nuge is a great player and a great defensive player, I like him a lot and consider this to be very close with my vote going towards my own biases.
I appreciate the reply. Your's was simply the most recent post on the topic so I quoted it. There was no intention on my part to suggest that you had tried to make the case for Ehlers over Nuge defensively.

Reactions: Atoyot

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Voted Ehlers before I read any comments of this thread. Didn’t even look at both players stats. This was based on solely of what I’ve seen from both players from the past.

Rnh i believe did improve under hitch this season, but never really been a real fan of his. He’s a good player and all, but I do like ehlers more. I voted him, but it’s only by a slight margin.
Hitch had nothing to do with any improvement in Nuge. He has been pretty much the same player for the last two years. The key change happened when McLellan asked him to think more about the offensive side of his game.

Reactions: lawrence

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

I'm not going to dispute QOT, as clearly Ehlers linemates are better, but Ehlers drives the possession numbers of that line. When you swap Connor (who is still a very good forward in his own right) onto the line with Scheifele-Wheeler, their possession and xGF numbers plummet.

Ehlers is arguably the biggest driver of possession on our team. Perreault is also really good and Buff is great on defense.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm not going to dispute QOT, as clearly Ehlers linemates are better, but Ehlers drives the possession numbers of that line. When you swap Connor (who is still a very good forward in his own right) onto the line with Scheifele-Wheeler, their possession and xGF numbers plummet.

Ehlers is arguably the biggest driver of possession on our team. Perreault is also really good and Buff is great on defense.

Possession numbers are not equal to defensive ability. Hall is a great possession player but has been a very suspect defensive player most of his career. These stats were being used to show that Ehlers was better defensively than Nuge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad