NIH Experts Question Federal Study Linking Cellphones To Tumors

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/05/27/fed-study-cellphones-tumors-question/

The study bombarded rats with cellphone radiation from the womb through the first two years of life and found tumors in 2 to 3 percent of male rats, which the study’s authors called low. But females weren’t affected and, strangely, the rats not exposed to the cellphone radiation died at a higher rate than those that were.

Another odd factor was that rats in the group that wasn’t exposed didn’t contract what would be the normal number of brain tumors for that population.

“I am unable to accept the authors’ conclusions,†wrote outside reviewer Dr. Michael Lauer, deputy director of NIH’s office of extramural research. “I suspect that this experiment is substantially underpowered and that the few positive results found reflect false positive findings.â€

2-3%? Sounds like the study does not show what they wanted.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Seems like there was enough contradictory data to undermine any meaningful conclusions being drawn.

Obviously it's something worth studying, as is everything that's a fundamental change to what we put our bodies through, but it seems the 'cell phones cause cancer' claim isn't supported by evidence as yet.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
you would think, as widespread as cell phone use has become in the last 20 years, that if there is in fact a causative link, there would be a discernible spike in these tumors among the general population.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
you would think, as widespread as cell phone use has become in the last 20 years, that if there is in fact a causative link, there would be a discernible spike in these tumors among the general population.

This. I'd be very surprised if there are any secondary effects from cell phones that we're not already aware of.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

I'm sure there will be over the next couple decades.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd think the type of cell-phone matters, too. They've evolved drastically over the last 20 years, and I don't see anything to suggest that that trend is going to come to an end (resource limitations are the only thing I can think of).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad