Injury Report: Nightmare on Helm street returning for another chapter (Update Post #69)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Back injuries are tough on anyone, but especially hockey players.
I don't expect Helm will ever be quite the skater he was. I also expect that a guy who misses this much time with these injuries is going to have recurring problems.

I agree with this, he will also have more uneven performances, like how you can notice a big difference in jump with Bertuzzi and I am talking clear back to when he first began to have back issues not just older Bertuzzi. The performances become more inconsistent because of this issue in my opinion. Back injuries are a very big deal to hockey players.

In all honesty and he has been free of this problem for a little bit (knock on wood) but Zetterberg's skating never quite returned to the same night in night out consistency after his back problems. He is still a great player, but for a guy like Helm that uses his speed for everything, even a slight drop off could be extremely critical to what he is and the value he has.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Not as much speed (very fast though), much better hands. Also Ferraro is kind of injured a lot so there is that in common too. :shakehead

I don't think Ferraro has much better hands than Helm. Helm has decent hands, he can hang onto it a little bit. Just not a good finisher, flubs the shot, puck rolls off his stick at the last second, etc. Helm did have a higher PPG in two years in the AHL than Ferraro has. Although I do think Ferraro still has a little more offensive upside because he has a better shot and is a better finisher altogether. He can also play wing or center. Probably will end up being very similar players though.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Joe Thronton and Henrik Zetterberg are just two that pop off to me who had back injuries and ended up being fine.

I don't know, I think Zetterberg could have had a couple 80-90 point seasons if not for those couple of lean years after 2009.

He's only 32, but something about him just looks older.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I don't know, I think Zetterberg could have had a couple 80-90 point seasons if not for those couple of lean years after 2009.

He's only 32, but something about him just looks older.

Well, he did turn 33 a few weeks ago. (I was born in the three month gap between Z and Kronwall and thus always have a line on their ages :) )

RedWingsNow*

Joe Thronton and Henrik Zetterberg are just two that pop off to me who had back injuries and ended up being fine.

None of theme missed virtually an entire year and into the next season.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 6m
Helm is skating today as Wings are on the ice for the morning skate..

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2m
Helm left the ice early. Should get update on his condition shortly.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 3m
Darren Helm had ultrasound yesterday that showed fluid but no tear in groin. Out for Saturday but expected to play on west Canada trip.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 3m
Darren Helm had ultrasound yesterday that showed fluid but no tear in groin. Out for Saturday but expected to play on west Canada trip.

Just lay in bed and only get up to stretch or something man, don't even get some ice from the fridge for a cool drink. Just stay away!

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
I suffered a back injury more than 20 years ago, during my last year in high school. The short term recovery was estimated at 3 to 6 months, and while I did feel better in the short term I can honestly say I never fully recovered and have lived with some level of pain since then (though I should add that I also have degenerative disc disease).

The biggest lesson I've learned from this experience is that we have to become completely in tune with and listen to our bodies at all times, in order to avoid additional injuries or aggravation of existing injuries. Pain medication is our biggest enemy in that respect. I could easily take X pain medication and numb myself to get a break from the pain, but in doing so I would override the very reason pain exists: to let us know when our body is broken and needs to rest and/or heal.

Two years ago I had a pair of herniated discs in my neck (cervical) - I had spent the better part of two weeks riding up and down the northern California coast line on a sport bike, and the brutal ergonomics did a number on my neck. I ended up getting a spinal injection as well as prescriptions for narcotic pain killers and muscle relaxers. I was completely free from pain on account of the meds, so I couldn't hear my body yelling at me with pain signals when I was making things worse.

Helm here has to very careful, and he has to listen to everything his body tells him. As frustrating as it can be to have him so close to returning only to have a setback, I'm grateful he (and the team) aren't taking any chances and are being meticulous about his healing process. Its not too late for a full recovery for Helm, but the longer he struggles with both his back and his groin, the longer his odds of making a full recovery become.

I wish him all the best and a full recovery, for his and our sakes!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->