Injury Report: Nightmare on Helm street returning for another chapter (Update Post #69)

ARCTICCAT24

Sep 7, 2011
Michigan
Not so fast......

Chuck Pleiness ‏@wingsfrontman 24m
Darren Helm has left practice early. No word yet if he's suffered a setback.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Wings GM Ken Holland said Darren Helm has a sore groin and is going for tests today to see if there's a tear. He won't be ready for Saturday

Update.

Guess it's good that at least it's not his back?????

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 5m

Holland said they think it's just nagging injury with Helm (it's the other groin, not the one he hurt in Sept), but they want to be careful

lol. it's just one thing after another with him

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I've heard that if you've had backproblems you can compensate that by putting extra strain to the groins, eventually this will get you injured, maybe Helm did the same...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've heard that if you've had backproblems you can compensate that by putting extra strain to the groins, eventually this will get you injured, maybe Helm did the same...

I've never heard that before. You talking about when lifting, or playing hockey?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The fact they think it might be torn points to a pretty significant soreness if you will. This poor guy, but at this point not surprising, I have moved on from ever expecting him to do something for us.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've never heard that before. You talking about when lifting, or playing hockey?

Injuries to your core can cause stress on a variety of areas when you're healing or symptoms from your back causing pain in your legs. Remember Bert reported big problems with his legs last year when he had back pain. But it is far more common to see it in the hamstrings and quads. Groin is generally hips and abdominal muscles, see Cabrera really. I think the groin has more to do with being off for the better part of the year. Skating is not always a natural motion as most of us know and the way he does it with those choppy strides and explosion his downtime is a real problem, he cannot seem to push it at his hardest to get it going.

But it is time Helm goes to yoga, starts coming in hours early for extra stretching and some of the things that I honestly hope he is doing but we have heard nothing about. He has a bad back and now a bad groin, he is going to have to do a lot to prepare to play games or practice, they need to start planning for that, or give him maintenance days more often. I am not saying he doesn't do those things, but we need a big time program here, maybe consult some doctors or trainers outside the Wings organization because we are failing right now, a new plan is needed in his rehab and handling.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Helm has the body of a dude that's 60 years older than he is...it's a shame, but he just can't stay healthy.

Also, just to note from Khan:

"Holland said they think it's just nagging injury with Helm (it's the other groin, not the one he hurt in Sept), but they want to be careful"

So good news, I guess? ALL OF HIS GROINS ARE BAD.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Helm has the body of a dude that's 60 years older than he is...it's a shame, but he just can't stay healthy.

Also, just to note from Khan:

"Holland said they think it's just nagging injury with Helm (it's the other groin, not the one he hurt in Sept), but they want to be careful"

So good news, I guess? ALL OF HIS GROINS ARE BAD.

Could be worse. He could be like Cleary, and be hurt all the time, and play anyways. And play like ****.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
We've seen this numerous times with other players, not really that concerned yet.

I'm not saying cut ties with the guy, but staying healthy is a talent in sports, and Helm just seems really injury prone as of late. Maybe he pushed too hard way back with his knee and that screwed his back and then his groin or whatever, because I don't remember this kind of stuff before last year.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I'm not saying cut ties with the guy, but staying healthy is a talent in sports, and Helm just seems really injury prone as of late. Maybe he pushed too hard way back with his knee and that screwed his back and then his groin or whatever, because I don't remember this kind of stuff before last year.

Doubt it, wasn't the knee injury like 10 months before the back injury?
IIRC after the knee injury (March 17 2012 against SJ) he came back for game one against Nashville (April 11th 2012) got his wrist cut by Radulov's skate and missed the last 4 games of the playoffs, then hurt his back in January 2013 doing squats in preseason training shortly after the lockout ended.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
IIRC after the knee injury (March 17 2012 against SJ) he came back for game one against Nashville (April 11th 2012) got his wrist cut by Radulov's skate and missed the last 4 games of the playoffs, then hurt his back in January 2013 doing squats in preseason training shortly after the lockout ended.

OK, nevermind, forgot the timeline. Still, dude gets injured a lot over the past year and a half.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Yeah after he missed months during the lockout with a broken orbital or jaw? This guy hasn't been healthy in a long time, I know we all know that, but assuming this is another month deal we will be at 20 months of injury pretty much consecutively.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
OK, nevermind, forgot the timeline. Still, dude gets injured a lot over the past year and a half.

I think/hope its just bad luck, I mean for all intents and purposes the guy missed the better part of 2 years with the back injury and his game heavily relies on skating so I guess groin issues are to be expected after that long on the sideline. I'll start worrying about his career outlook if he re-injures his back (knock on wood that he doesn't)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Injuries to your core can cause stress on a variety of areas when you're healing or symptoms from your back causing pain in your legs. Remember Bert reported big problems with his legs last year when he had back pain. But it is far more common to see it in the hamstrings and quads. Groin is generally hips and abdominal muscles, see Cabrera really. I think the groin has more to do with being off for the better part of the year. Skating is not always a natural motion as most of us know and the way he does it with those choppy strides and explosion his downtime is a real problem, he cannot seem to push it at his hardest to get it going.
Just chiming in, in my extensive injury experience, you're right. The stress from a back injury tends to transfer to knees and to an extent the hamstrings. Really, if you sort of think about it, trying to recruit your groin muscles while not using your back much is about impossible. It would hurt like hell.

I think this is probably just rust from disuse.

RedWingsNow*

I think/hope its just bad luck, I mean for all intents and purposes the guy missed the better part of 2 years with the back injury and his game heavily relies on skating so I guess groin issues are to be expected after that long on the sideline. I'll start worrying about his career outlook if he re-injures his back (knock on wood that he doesn't)

Back injuries are tough on anyone, but especially hockey players.
I don't expect Helm will ever be quite the skater he was. I also expect that a guy who misses this much time with these injuries is going to have recurring problems.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way we are now getting deep enough in that the roster spots mean more in some cases than the cap and we should keep that in mind when we talk about this. The cap is calculated daily in both team offices and the NHL's main office where they have a cap czar that keeps everyone up to date. Not saying it isn't still a factor but with each passing day we gain more cap space on the year, capgeek does this the best it can, but teams have often said they have more money than you see on that site because of the complexity of how this is done.

For instance right now they can activate Eaves and be fully cap compliant, whereas they could not do that two weeks ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->