Injury Report: Nightmare on Helm street returning for another chapter (Update Post #69)

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Probably the end for Tootoo and maybe Eaves too. Doubt there's any chance Sammy goes.
Is there any way that the moves Holland needs to make to fit Helm in might also make enough cap and roster room for Nyquist?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is there any way that the moves Holland needs to make to fit Helm in might also make enough cap and roster room for Nyquist?

I wouldn't count on it.

If Holland wanted Nyquist on the team as much as he leads on, he'd already be on the team.

It's quite clear Babcock and Holland could care less if Tatar and Nyquist play or not.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I wouldn't count on it.

If Holland wanted Nyquist on the team as much as he leads on, he'd already be on the team.

It's quite clear Babcock and Holland could care less if Tatar and Nyquist play or not.

Agreed. Helm comes back (great!) Toots gets waived (bad!). The Wings will just continue to count on Dats and Z to carry this team game by game.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Probably the end for Tootoo and maybe Eaves too. Doubt there's any chance Sammy goes.

I think Henkka is the in season cap geek guru, and I asked a related question a few days ago, but don't think he saw it. Hopefully he can chime in on what I think might happen:

THe way I read look at we can get Helm on the roster simply be sending Glendening back. The tricky part happens when Eaves comes back. Even if he is waived immediately, I think he has to come on the roster first, and it would take two moves to clear the necessary cap space.

The candidates would be Tootoo and then also DeKeyser, who would be able to be brought back up once (and assuming) Eaves is buried.

The Wings would then be able to bring Tootoo OR Nyquist up, but not both.

I am not 100% sure on this as the in season calculations are not easy to figure out.

I also believe that if the Wings can find a taker for Sammy at 1/2 his salary (we may have to throw in a 4th rounder or more as well) that we would have room for Nyquist AND Tootoo, assuming that Eaves is buried.

Anyone who can figure out in season cap geek, and sees any mistakes I have made, please chime in, but this was as much as I could figure or speculate after taking a pretty long look at it this week end.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

no beacuse holland is neither smart enough or a good enough GM to make that happen

Roy S

May 16, 2009

I think if Glendening and Eaves are demoted to GR and Tootoo is waived and claimed then that opens up roster and cap space for Nyquist to join the team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How is doing the moves you guys are suggesting going to get Nyquist onto the roster, or into the line-up?

You guys are forgetting that Tatar is already on the roster.

So if they do the two moves you are all talking about, wouldn't that just clear a path for Tatar to actually get on the team as a regular, and STILL leave Nyquist out????

Roy S

May 16, 2009
How is doing the moves you guys are suggesting going to get Nyquist onto the roster, or into the line-up?

You guys are forgetting that Tatar is already on the roster.

So if they do the two moves you are all talking about, wouldn't that just clear a path for Tatar to actually get on the team as a regular, and STILL leave Nyquist out????

Nyquist would replace Tootoo and Helm would replace Glendening on the active roster. Eaves would also be waived. So, there would be space for Nyquist. Babcock benched Sammy in the playoffs in favor of Nyquist, Sammy's been a healthy scratch five times already this season and Babcock's thought enough of Nyquist to play in each of the last two playoffs. Thus, I'm assuming he'll play. Tatar could still be a healthy scratch though. I think Nyquist is higher on the organizational depth chart than he is.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Just bad asset management by KH. Tootoo is one of only two guys on this team that actually hit and bring some energy. Why give Eaves a roster spot over Tootoo? Eaves is redundant, Tootoo is unique to the team.

Seriously just waive Samuelsson, who cares if we only get 100k in cap relief, he sucks and he's clogging up the forward depth. It's not worth keeping him on the roster for the 30 seconds a night he plays as a RH shot on the 2nd PP. Someone else can fill that role, not like Samuelsson is lighting up it. The guy sandbagged the organization by threatening an injury appeal if they bought him out. Screw him, cut him loose.

Stephen Weiss looks horrendous. I can't believe they are paying this guy 5M a year, It was funny watching him in Phoenix and then seeing a guy like Antoine Vermette who makes a lot less than Weiss. Vermette was dominate while Weiss was invincible, as he's been in pretty much every game IMO. I literally thought we were opting to play 4 on 5 a few times because I could not find him anywhere on the ice. He's alright defensively but I just hate him on offense. Plays with no confidence, so weak on the puck, he looks like he's skating in mud most of the time, doesn't shoot the puck. Looks a lot more like a 3rd line center so far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nyquist would replace Tootoo and Helm would replace Glendening on the active roster. Eaves would also be waived. So, there would be space for Nyquist. Babcock benched Sammy in the playoffs in favor of Nyquist, Sammy's been a healthy scratch five times already this season and Babcock's thought enough of Nyquist to play in each of the last two playoffs. Thus, I'm assuming he'll play. Tatar could still be a healthy scratch though. I think Nyquist is higher on the organizational depth chart than he is.

Not saying that's not possible... But I have a hard time seeing them have a roster spot open up, then calling up Nyquist to play, when Tatar has been waiting since the start of the season for his shot.

Honestly I think after they make whatever moves they do, neither Tatar or Nyquist end up in the line-up. So consider me pleasantly surprised if Nyquist is on the team in the next week or two.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Have no idea what Holland will do but whatever it is, I just want it done with so we can get back to ripping Babcock for not playing Tatar and Holland for sticking Nyquist in GR.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Have no idea what Holland will do but whatever it is, I just want it done with so we can get back to ripping Babcock for not playing Tatar and Holland for sticking Nyquist in GR.

Come on, you've been around too long to underestimate the multitasking ability of the posters on the board... we are more than capable of speculating on the pending roster moves while at the same time continuing to crush both Babs' (non)usage of Tats and Kenny on burying Gus in GR.

We ARE that good :naughty:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Thank you for adding the (will play Saturday). I was almost starting to freak out when I first read the title!

Getting Helmer back is awesome. So happy for the guy to get a second chance. He more than deserves extra time to be 100% again, I hope it goes well for us but more for him.

2 seasons ago can feel like a long time but we can't underestimate how much Helm was adding to the Wings. I'm of the camp that would say yes, his first 2 full seasons he could not finish but he had 32 points in 2010-11! The season after he was really starting to turn on and we saw him actually finishing a few of those multiple breakaways he creates. Besides that and more importantly his battle and forecheck which were always good began developing into what could be called devastating. Tootoo on drugs. His defensive game was coming along nicely as well. Injured in the PO's against Nashville was a big letdown. Babcock was ruined by the news and gave the coach an excuse for our poor performance that series. I remember discussions popped up about Babcock's comment that Helm was the best 3rd c in the league.

If he can return to 100% would be excellent for the Red Wings. Then Andersson can drop down as intended, we are automatically a better team.

I sincerely doubt he'll read this but I still want to send out these thoughts -"Please Helmer you don't need to squat with that much weight anymore. You are already strong and fast enough to win. And be prepared to skate because you're linemates will be Cleary and Bertuzzi!" :)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I get some of you like andersson I dont.

I want d and z on different lines weiss to third put helm on fourth somehow keep tootoo.

Somehow get nyquist and tatar on roster and playing.

So move bertuzzi sammy at half drop andersson eaves trade miller? Can bring up glendening.

So line up is
datsyuk franzen abdelkader
zetterberg alfie nyquist/bertuzzi
weiss tatar tootoo/cleary
helm glendening miller
that is 14

odd guys are sammy andersson and eaves I am ok losing any of them even sammy at half I would do same with bert to give us relief and get nyquist on the team.

I hate andersson and maybe that is wrong I have heard it all about faceoffs he brings nothing but slow speed imo hell with it drop him bring up jurco if want another body.

He is too slow to play top lines that is my opinion and that is only way his worth could go up in my estimation he does fine in lower lines just know we can do better.

If didnt have bert sammy cleary etc... he would have more worth. I dont see him here in long run he just is not as good as guys we have coming up.

How do you keep him over sheahan jurco ferraro etc... we have too many kids out of options next year time to make some moves.

Not sure his worth trade him for pick whatever just helm is better and weiss needs to be dropped and hopefully wakes him up.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm looking forward to seeing Helm back with the team. The guy has always been one of my favorite players.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Great to see Helm on his way back. He really sparks the bottom 6 and is an essential part of this team. Unfortunately it'll also mean waiving Tootoo and Eaves.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I get some of you like andersson I dont.

I want d and z on different lines weiss to third put helm on fourth somehow keep tootoo.

Somehow get nyquist and tatar on roster and playing.

So move bertuzzi sammy at half drop andersson eaves trade miller? Can bring up glendening.

So line up is
datsyuk franzen abdelkader
zetterberg alfie nyquist/bertuzzi
weiss tatar tootoo/cleary
helm glendening miller
that is 14

odd guys are sammy andersson and eaves I am ok losing any of them even sammy at half I would do same with bert to give us relief and get nyquist on the team.

I hate andersson and maybe that is wrong I have heard it all about faceoffs he brings nothing but slow speed imo hell with it drop him bring up jurco if want another body.

He is too slow to play top lines that is my opinion and that is only way his worth could go up in my estimation he does fine in lower lines just know we can do better.

If didnt have bert sammy cleary etc... he would have more worth. I dont see him here in long run he just is not as good as guys we have coming up.

How do you keep him over sheahan jurco ferraro etc... we have too many kids out of options next year time to make some moves.

Not sure his worth trade him for pick whatever just helm is better and weiss needs to be dropped and hopefully wakes him up.

No one is asking to play him in the top 6. He does well at what he does, which is defense and PK. I actually dont mind him at all. When Helm comes back, he will hopefully be on the 4th line which again, wouldn't mind at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->