Nigel Williams = Shawn Belle?

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
Ok, I have never seen Williams play. I have seen a lot of Belle over the last few years and have always been impressed with with his skating ability. I have read a lot of info on Williams and everytime I read something about him I think of Shawn Belle. Big, can skate, has trouble in the defensive zone and does not put up the offensive numbers eventhough they can skate so well. For those of you who have seen Williams play, is Belle a good comparison?

Thanks!

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
faucette78 said:
Ok, I have never seen Williams play. I have seen a lot of Belle over the last few years and have always been impressed with with his skating ability. I have read a lot of info on Williams and everytime I read something about him I think of Shawn Belle. Big, can skate, has trouble in the defensive zone and does not put up the offensive numbers eventhough they can skate so well. For those of you who have seen Williams play, is Belle a good comparison?

Thanks!

No, Williams is nowhere near as good a skater as Belle. Williams does have a better toolbox though and could be a dominant defenseman if properly developed. Bite my head off but I've always said he could be a Chris Pronger (insert "poor man's" if you like) if he reaches his upside.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
From all the scouting reports I've read it sounds like a very good comparison. Both are big, can skate, athletic, but their hockey sense is in the gutter.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I came up with the comparison to Wade Belak, at least as his downside. Prototypical size, speed, and skill set for a defenceman, but hockey sense extremely lacking. However I've never seen Williams play, nor did I see Belak at the same age.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
One post it's near-Pronger comparisons, next it's Wade Belak
I don't know what to expect, but I sure would take him earlier than many.

I had a great player to compare him to a few days ago but the name has escaped me since.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
hoppy said:
One post it's near-Pronger comparisons, next it's Wade Belak

That's about his range. He is by no means a safe pick, you are likely to get one scenario as the other. I think it's going to come down to how the organization that drafts him handles his development. Rush him, you are likely to end up with Belak. Give him the 4 years at a school with a great hockey program, you could have a top defender.

KH1

Nigel Williams is the classic case of a prospect that is gonna be a lot better if he's on a contender than if he's not. Take Zdeno Chara for example: he got rushed into a losing environment and pretty poor defense on Long Island and then was traded to the Senators, a great team and defense (with a superb coaching staff) and all of the sudden he's making $8 million dollars.

If Williams comes into the NHL surrounded by great players he has the skillset to be great. He could also very easily flame out though. I say if you have 4 or 5 years to wait for him to develop you should pick him above any other defenseman after Johnson.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Williams seems to be another, bigger Jason Doig. Athletic, huge dman with decent skating and low offensive potential. I think Doig was drafted high and was a hit or miss prospect, maybe Nigel is the same...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->