Nigel Dawes

Discussion in 'The KHL' started by Channelcat, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Atas2000 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Good one. Thanks!

2. rohky Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    freelance
    What is the future for Nigel Dawes? Barys is not going to sign him back. What about Avto? Despite the age, he could be a good addition to a team in the league.

3. heretik27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I highly doubt he makes a return to North America to play hockey. I can see him retiring if he can't find a new home in the KHL.

4. Barclay Donaldson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He has been a proven point producer over the past 10 years. He is easily still a Top 10 player in the league, despite his age. He could definitely find suitors in Switzerland or Sweden if no one in the KHL wants him.

5. jumptheshark Rebooting myself Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 55,000
    currently creating a new identity

maybe in the lower leagues in Sweden but not the SHL. While people push the KHL as being the 2nd best league in the world, I have attended games in the KHL, SHL and Liiga to believe that despite what many would like to think, the level of OVERALL play in the SHL is better then the KHL. The KHL has MANY really bad teams and too many stacked teams. If the KHL split into 2 leagues it would be better

6. Barclay Donaldson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Dawes is not lighting up the low quality KHL teams and disappearing against the stacked teams, he consistently produces throughout the season. His speed has slightly dropped off these last two seasons with Avto, likely because of his age, but his scoring touch and vision remains.

Petersson for Dynamo was a decent SHL player before he left for North America, and he's not quite as good as Dawes. Ljungh was 5th in points in the SHL last year, and he has much worse stats than Dawes this year in the KHL.

Dawes could easily find a place to play elsewhere in Europe, even in SHL.

7. Witte49 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Nr 5 in points in the KHL is way too good for the SHL. If he wants to play in the KHL, he will.

8. Khrox Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I miss Dawes when he was on the Flames, even though it was only one season. He always brought his A game, and always hustled. It's one of those things where like people said, if he was born 5-10 years later, he'd possibly be a great player in the NHL, but the time he was in the NHL, at his size it was "Marty St. Louis or Bust".

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to, come back to the NHL as a scoring third line winger with some heavy special teams usage (assuming he actually wants to come back, and not stay in Russia where he's been a star virtually since getting there).

9. TeddyBare Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Da Costa

there is a name I haven't heard a long time.
    Only memory of him was that Dion Phaneuf hit that knocked the soul out of his body.

smitty10 and 1989 like this.
  10. SoundAndFury Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Barys said they aren't going to sign him because he is too expensive. Which kinda answers your question, if he is too expensive for a pretty solid KHL team he definitely has options.
    That's harsh on SHL, there are a lot of good players who simply don't want to play in the KHL, like Arcobello or Lasch. Saying someone from KHL is too good for KHL or NLA is wrong, it just comes down to preference. Same with Omark or Kovar, they can play in the KHL if they want to or go anywhere else if they don't.

rohky likes this.