Nielson's 2007 Top Ten...

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Hey Guys,

Figured I would give er a go.

Comments about the players can be found at my blog.

www.hfradio.blogspot.com

1. Angelo Esposito, Quebec, RW
2. Logan Couture, Ottawa, C
3. Jakub Voracek, Halifax, RW
4. Mikael Backlund, Vasteras, C
5. Colton Gilles, Saskatoon, C
6. Nick Petrecki, Omaha, D
7. James van Riemsdyk, USA NTDP U17, C
8. Michal Repik, Vancouver, LW
9. Brandon Sutter, Red Deer, RW
10. Alex Grant. Saint John, D

SLEEPER: Justin McCrae

TOP GOALTENDER: Justin Leclerc

Enjoy or flame away.

Nielson

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I kinda prefer it when posters take a few chances with their ratings- especially if they have insight on a particular player or two. Otherwise it's just a very slight rearranging of the consensus already stated on HF. And people will say it's "good" or "bad" based on how close it is to that consensus, which doesn't really offer any new insights.

I like Redline's recent top 10 for the above reasons although I have no idea how accurate a few of their picks are. Sharkie had a good list too with a few surprises.

Having said that, McRae is a good sleeper- as is Oshawa's MacLean IMO.

I kinda prefer it when posters take a few chances with their ratings- especially if they have insight on a particular player or two. Otherwise it's just a very slight rearranging of the consensus already stated on HF. And people will say it's "good" or "bad" based on how close it is to that consensus, which doesn't really offer any new insights.

I like Redline's recent top 10 for the above reasons although I have no idea how accurate a few of their picks are. Sharkie had a good list too with a few surprises.

Having said that, McRae is a good sleeper- as is Oshawa's MacLean IMO.

Speaking of MacLean, I'm hoping you can describe his game for me. I noticed he put up solid numbers and has good size, but I haven't read anything about him on these boards and noone responded to my query in a prior thread. Thanks.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Speaking of MacLean, I'm hoping you can describe his game for me. I noticed he put up solid numbers and has good size, but I haven't read anything about him on these boards and noone responded to my query in a prior thread. Thanks.
Actually I was watching the '06 draft picks last season so I can't give a detailed report yet but MacLean kept flying onto my radar as I was watching other players. He has soft hands and a good imagination, strong puck pursuit- what I noticed most though is that he plays a very considered lateral (east-west) game.
I am not as high yet as some here on Petrecki, Katic, Gillies and Backlund but, at this point, we're just making projections about a season, which projects to the draft, which itself is another projection.
At this point though MacLean would be on my top 10 list of players to monitor closely.

fullspeed

Jul 21, 2006
How about
kyle Turris
Jon negrin
Zack hamil
Karl Alzner
These are all players that are worthy of top ten.

X-SHARKIE

How about
kyle Turris
Jon negrin
Zack hamil
Karl Alzner
These are all players that are worthy of top ten.

That's what I like about this upcoming draft. While you have guys who look to be elite prospects in Esposito, Couture, Voracek you also have about a list of twenty guys at this moment who you could make a case for being top 10 guys at this point.

It's still way too early to call but at least the draft looks deep at this stage.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I might sound absolutely crazy, but after watching a bit of Oscar Moller from the Chilliwack Bruins, I'd venture to say that this kid could hit the top 15 of the draft. My buddy plays for the Bruins and has played for Lethbridge and Red Deer in the past, and says Moller is one of the best skill player he's ever seen, and he's just soo keen on doing well.

The kid is dominating at this camp, and the Bruins aren't exactly going to be a pushover this year due to a older team.

X-SHARKIE

I might sound absolutely crazy, but after watching a bit of Oscar Moller from the Chilliwack Bruins, I'd venture to say that this kid could hit the top 15 of the draft. My buddy plays for the Bruins and has played for Lethbridge and Red Deer in the past, and says Moller is one of the best skill player he's ever seen, and he's just soo keen on doing well.

The kid is dominating at this camp, and the Bruins aren't exactly going to be a pushover this year due to a older team.

Moller, isn't he from Sweden? He's coming over to play in NA this year?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

In the very little i saw him play i really liked what i saw, he seems to have a good nose for the net, works very hard and doesnt mind goin into the tough places to play. i dont think he will be a guy who will be in many top 10-20 lists but i wouldnt be at all surprised (in fact i expect) to see a team like him and take him earlier then projected.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I liked the way Sonne played last year, didn't see him in the world championships this summer b/c I was in the UK. Also, Keith Aulie should be a top 20 pick who has the physical presence to go top 10 if he keeps progressing.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
That's what I like about this upcoming draft. While you have guys who look to be elite prospects in Esposito, Couture, Voracek you also have about a list of twenty guys at this moment who you could make a case for being top 10 guys at this point.

It's still way too early to call but at least the draft looks deep at this stage.

For me, the only major problem with 2007 is the lack of elite-potential defensemen. Petrecki is no Johnson, and while Katic and Alzner are both very good, both have characteristics that limit them from becoming dominant blueliners.

Speaking of Katic, boy, did I see a kid this weekend who reminds me so much of him it's scary. Might be even better.

X-SHARKIE

For me, the only major problem with 2007 is the lack of elite-potential defensemen. Petrecki is no Johnson, and while Katic and Alzner are both very good, both have characteristics that limit them from becoming dominant blueliners.

Speaking of Katic, boy, did I see a kid this weekend who reminds me so much of him it's scary. Might be even better.

True, but there are some guys like the ones you named above who could turn the corner and become one. At this time of the year people were saying Eric Johnson lacked the offensive upside to be an elite defenseman, and now look at him. So at least there are canidates like Katic, Petrecki, Alzner, Negrin ect.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006

Kudos to that. He dominated at the Mac's Midget competition, against some pretty good players. I didn't see him personally, but from that one tournament, I would, (from what I hear) take him over Backlund any day.:clap: :clap:

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
i tell ya...watch out for Nick Ross...this kid is highly underrated

I've only seem him play once, and from what I saw he was highly overrated. In a World Under-17 game, I was shocked to see a defenceman of such low caliber. He kept going at the opposing forwards like a maniac trying to hipcheck them, and he never succeeded. From that one viewing I think this guy shouldn't be playing AAA mIdget, but that is only 1 viewing of course, so I may be wrong.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
I liked the way Sonne played last year, didn't see him in the world championships this summer b/c I was in the UK. Also, Keith Aulie should be a top 20 pick who has the physical presence to go top 10 if he keeps progressing.

I heard he is coming along, but from what I saw in pastyears
he shouldn't even be considered for the draft under theew rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad