Nicolas Meloche (2015, 40th overall)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Good to hear. What do you like about him so much to consider him a favorite?

I never focused on him, but caught some games. Looked good to me.

Meloche has really all the tools you really want in a defensemen. He reads the play well, good gap control, good shot, can be put in any situation and thrive, and he plays a real mean game. He needs to work on his skating... it is choppy and he has a bit of heavy feet syndrome at times, but I think he will develop out of some of that. IMO he won't ever be a great skater, but I think he will be an above average skater in the NHL. If he does that, you have a kid that has all the tools to be an excellent defensemen in the NHL. I'd also like him to keep his intensity high, but that might be partially due to him having too much ice time as a kid.

I think he has legit top pairing upside, but he will have iron out his skating to reach that.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Meloche has really all the tools you really want in a defensemen. He reads the play well, good gap control, good shot, can be put in any situation and thrive, and he plays a real mean game. He needs to work on his skating... it is choppy and he has a bit of heavy feet syndrome at times, but I think he will develop out of some of that. IMO he won't ever be a great skater, but I think he will be an above average skater in the NHL. If he does that, you have a kid that has all the tools to be an excellent defensemen in the NHL. I'd also like him to keep his intensity high, but that might be partially due to him having too much ice time as a kid.

I think he has legit top pairing upside, but he will have iron out his skating to reach that.

Nice. Was hoping it would be because of a complete package type thing. I love these guys who are very versatile. And while I don't think a mean streak is necessary, it sure makes for an entertaining player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
In addition to his mod duties, we might need Frenchy to properly translate these articles as well.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Has played well for the Eagles these first 5 games.

Seemed like a lot of you guys were high on him when drafted, what are you guys’ thoughts on him now? When do you think he’ll make his NHL debut? This season or?

Reactions: Tommy G

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Seemed like a lot of you guys were high on him when drafted, what are you guys’ thoughts on him now? When do you think he’ll make his NHL debut? This season or?
Hey do you have a Blue Jackets season ticket?

Been knocked down the depth chart a bit which is always less than ideal.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Only in case the injuries strike most likely. Avs D is pretty deep this season and they want him to play 1st pairing minutes in the A, no point in limiting his growth by playing him 10mins per night with no special teams. As for his potential, I think he has all the making of a modern top 4 D. He is big, can skate well, has a bomb of a shot, mean, can move the puck etc. As for his long-term future with the Avs, really tough to say, we have EJ and Barrie as two great defensemen on the right and Cole who is more than capable of playing on the bottom pair and pinching in in the top 4 for short stretches, so they impact his road to the NHL, not to mention that there are also Timmins (plays right exclusively) and Makar (plays both sides) in his way. In 2 years time, we could have an absolute embarrassment of riches when it comes to RHD if they reach even their safe projections.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
If Avs need a bottom pairing dman for just a game at home later on in the season I wouldn't mind him getting it. Give him a little bit of nhl action so he can see where he is and what needs to be worked on

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He’s our Josh Manson and will be Girard’s longterm partner once EJ slows down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->