Nicolas Meloche (2015, 40th overall)

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
Good 2-way defenceman.

Had a more impressive year as a 16-year old in the Q when compared to his performance last year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Aside from Rantanen this is my favourite pick of the draft, quite easily.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think he's a bit overrated. He's a good pick no doubt, but when watching, I saw a lot of inconsistencies. Good one game, extremely average the next, with a very meh top prospects as well. I am probably underselling him since a lot of posters here are saying he most definitely has NHL potential, I think his hockey sense is top notch, but I would like to see more puck rushing or "flashes" to his game (IE confidence).

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I think he's a bit overrated. He's a good pick no doubt, but when watching, I saw a lot of inconsistencies. Good one game, extremely average the next, with a very meh top prospects as well. I am probably underselling him since a lot of posters here are saying he most definitely has NHL potential, I think his hockey sense is top notch, but I would like to see more puck rushing or "flashes" to his game (IE confidence).

You might have gotten to see him on a bad night. And also the top prospect game is irrelevant. Meloche is a great prospect that has played like a #1 D in both his seasons in the Q. He does everything great on the ice, he's got size and hockey sense. I had him pegged as a 1st rounder and there were times during the season where I had him listed above Zboril and J.Roy. He has blown me away everytime I've seen him play.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I just hope he doesn't turn out as Elliott version 2.0

We can't develop d-man for #*$(@

Meloche actually plays defense though...very well. He's mean, physical and has oustanding positioning and hockey sense. The only major weakness is that he has to improve his skating, even if he doesn't though he's still a top-4 guy. He has top pair upside along the lines of Seabrook if he improves his skating. He's probably not going to reach it, but he's a much different type of prospect than Elliott. Elliott still has that wrister though.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Every time he scores, I'm tempted to write "Another one for Me-loche!!" (Seinfeld reference)

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
One of my favorite defensive prospects in the draft. He will develop very nicely over the next couple years.

Good to hear. What do you like about him so much to consider him a favorite?

I never focused on him, but caught some games. Looked good to me.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Every time he scores, I'm tempted to write "Another one for Me-loche!!" (Seinfeld reference)

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I love the pick. Feels great to have a nice little cadre of defensive prospects. Now our forwards needs to fall in line and develop. I like the direction the Avs system is going.
Finally, NO MORE SMURFS!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
One of my favorite defensive prospects in the draft. He will develop very nicely over the next couple years.

But where will Barrie play when he and Wood take over our Right side? :sarcasm:

I'm really excited by this pick.
Bigras - EJohnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Siemens / Geertsen - Wood / Meloche
...the future is crazy bright for the Colorado Defense.

That doesn't sound like an Avs player at all

:laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's neither. He's like a meaner less refined Bigras.

There was a comment from Hepple about hm buried in an article whining about passing Carlo.

"Real good two-way game, and another guy with some bite to his game," Hepple said of Meloche. "I always use the reference — a junkyard dog kind of game. Plays hard, tough on people in front of the net. Not afraid to stick his nose in anywhere on the ice. Great shot. Great size. And he's got some smarts. He plays the game the right way."

Last edited:

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I still don't understand why so many people see Siemens as a bust. I'm optimistic this will change within months, though.

He's not in the NHL and he is not an offensive D man.
Most wanted Dougie Hamilton that year and were disappointed when he went 2 picks before us.

Hamilton and Brodin went directly before him and are in the NHL.
Ryan Murphy, Beaulieu, Klefbom, Connor Murphy, Morrow & Percy were all taken after him and have played in more NHL games than him.
He had some immaturity issues and got stripped of the C. Until people see him being productive in the NHL, more will think this.

It's not a fair perception but it is the perception of him as it stands.

I'm a big Siemens fan so I have no issue with his development as it stands.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched his shift by shift video.

Seems solid.

Skating ability seems to be too highly praised for me. Not overly smooth and a little clumsy in his east-west mobility at times. Like his aggressiveness and his ability to get up and move the puck when necessary. Has some warts but has the size and tools to be a very solid middle pairing guy if he develops very well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You might have gotten to see him on a bad night. And also the top prospect game is irrelevant. Meloche is a great prospect that has played like a #1 D in both his seasons in the Q. He does everything great on the ice, he's got size and hockey sense. I had him pegged as a 1st rounder and there were times during the season where I had him listed above Zboril and J.Roy. He has blown me away everytime I've seen him play.
Thanks for the insight for him, you definitely know more about the Q than I can ever know.

Watched his shift by shift video.

Seems solid.

Skating ability seems to be too highly praised for me. Not overly smooth and a little clumsy in his east-west mobility at times. Like his aggressiveness and his ability to get up and move the puck when necessary. Has some warts but has the size and tools to be a very solid middle pairing guy if he develops very well.
I did watch the shift by shift as well, off topic...this dude kept screaming at 9:50 mark repeatedly, weird. :laugh:

You can tell why he was more of a 2nd rounder than a 1st.

He looked solid, but I definitely agree with your assessment concerning skating. His north to south isn't that bad, fairly mobile and able to reach his top end speed faster than someone like Geertsen. But, his transition game, especially turning from backwards to forwards is definitely below average. Wood got smoked at training camp and I expect the same thing to happen to Meloche, though he never was supposed to play in NHL next year.

His hockey IQ is still very good after watching the video, he knows what to do in every situation. Offensively he was extremely good, you can also tell how he was close to PPG as a defenseman. He sees the open ice, has very silk hands, and good body frame pushing other players out of the way. I do not see the shot though, looked pretty weak to me.

One part, which goes back to my inconsistencies, is his decision making defensively. Sometimes he looks so calm with the puck and uses his hands, body frame, and smarts to get past opposing forecheckers. Other times, he makes brutal decision like throwing the puck blindly up the boards, or leaving his man open in front of the net (which resulted in a goal). His play needs to be more edgier when tying up players in this area.

I don't really see Derek Morris in his game, he is way more flashy and has better offensive skills than Morris IMO. Hard to say who he personally reminds me of, I saw a TON of Erik Johnson qualities to his game, but I wouldn't say he is built as a tank like EJ. Probably reminds me a lot of Seabrook, has those skills, but the physical immaturity and inconsistencies to his game currently.

Has the talent and IQ, needs to season his tools more for his toolbox IMO.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

He plays more of a positional game than a speed game. I'd like to see him improve his foot speed too but doing rushes isn't really his type of game. If he does improve his acceleration and top speed he'll be the biggest steal of the draft more than likely. Even without those improvements IMO he projects to be a solid top 4 d-man. Like you said top notch hockey sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad