Player Discussion Nicolas Deslauriers - Un Gars D'Chez Nous Edition

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I'd give Deslaurier 5 years, 1 million AAV. This way, if he doesn't play well and we need to put him in the minors, it doesn't count against the cap. But, if he does play well, it could be a bargain, like Paul Byron's deal.
5 years? Cmon man seriously. He will be lucky to get 1 year at million.
Enough with this. He’s a 4th liner. That’s all he is

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
2 million dollar cap hit for deslaurises?? No. Seriously. Are you kidding ??
That’s a hard hard pass

Well...if you're paying Shaw 3.9 millions ...Deslo's would be paid 50% of that and would get you more than 50% of Shawzy's production... :P

All kidding aside...I might have been a little generous!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Why would you sign a 4th liner to such a long term deal? Who signs a player they already have in the back of their mind that they can send him to the minors for 5 years?

It's important to have a backup plan for ANY player you sign long term. In this case there's a perfect backup plan, i.e. one that doesn't count against the cap. It's a no risk signing, with potential upside: if Deslaurier plays at a 2 million + AAV level, we get him at 1 million. Anyways it's not really worth going back and forth over.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's important to have a backup plan for ANY player you sign long term. In this case there's a perfect backup plan, i.e. one that doesn't count against the cap. It's a no risk signing, with potential upside: if Deslaurier plays at a 2 million + AAV level, we get him at 1 million. Anyways it's not really worth going back and forth over.
We have more than enough 4th liners to replace him. Also, I doubt team will be lining up to get him.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
5 years? Cmon man seriously. He will be lucky to get 1 year at million.
Enough with this. He’s a 4th liner. That’s all he is

It's nice to have good depth players signed at 1 million per year deals, like Byron, Lehkonen, and Danault. This allows one to have the cap hit to pay stars and not complain when a player like Radulov asks to be paid like a star. Deslaurier isn't at there level. But if he plays well, he will command more if he were to hit the open market. I would lock him up. Again it's a risk less contract cap wise, because if he doesn't meet expectations and is cut and sent to the minors, it doesn't count against the cap.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We have more than enough 4th liners to replace him. Also, I doubt team will be lining up to get him.
I don't see anyone in our system that can play the game and bring his physical presence. He's a Chris Neil type. And again, it's a risk free contract, cap wise.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It's a head scratcher for me. That's why I'm trying to understand the logic. I can't say you don't have a reason behind your proposition. It's just that no one commits 5 years to a 4th liner they are already prepared to send to the minors when their negotiating.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It's a head scratcher for me. That's why I'm trying to understand the logic. I can't say you don't have a reason behind your proposition. It's just that no one commits 5 years to a 4th liner they are already prepared to send to the minors when their negotiating.
I'm not prepared to send him to the minors. The reality is any player can decline and be sent to the minors. See Cody Franson this year. There's only an issue if sending him to the minors counts against the cap.

If you can think of an argument why this isn't a good contract, other than no one else gives a 4th liner a 5 year deal that would be interesting to hear. I don't care what anyone else does if it works. Almost no one else put 4 forwards on the pp before this year. Now everyone is. You can't always follow the heard if you want to stand out and win. What is one real argument, potential negative? I don't see any negatives, only positives.

The only negative I can see is if giving him a longer term deal cuts his motivation. If that's the case that's sad.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Ahh, yes I knew that. I thought the idea was to keep him in Montreal though? I may have misunderstood.
To me it's not that controversial. There's 3 cases:

Case 1; he plays up to but not beyond his contract: thus it's not a bad contract.
Case 2: he plays below his contract. In which case we send him to the AHL and there's no cap hit. Therefore it's not a bad contract.
Case 3: he plays above his contract, and therefore is a bargain cap wise, freeing up cap space we'd need to spend on a player of his level to add money to entice other players to sign with us. In which case, it's not only not a bad contract, but a very good contract.

I.e. I see no downside, only upside to such a contract.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
To me it's not that controversial. There's 3 cases:

Case 1; he plays up to but not beyond his contract: thus it's not a bad contract.
Case 2: he plays below his contract. In which case we send him to the AHL and there's no cap hit. Therefore it's not a bad contract.
Case 3: he plays above his contract, and therefore is a bargain cap wise, freeing up cap space we'd need to spend on a player of his level to add money to entice other players to sign with us. In which case, it's not only not a bad contract, but a very good contract.

I.e. I see no downside, only upside to such a contract.

The downside is the same as any player you send down after a certain point. Waivers.

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I wouldn't do more than 3 years and I'm not paying him more than Byron.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
We gave him a good chance to redeem his career which was going nowhere last year. If an offer is made for Deslauriers, I'd play cards on table with him and tell him we'll get the free pick, and offer him a good contract next summer. Hopefully he see this is an occasion to get a shot for the Stanley Cup and understand the situation. Win-win.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We gave him a good chance to redeem his career which was going nowhere last year. If an offer is made for Deslauriers, I'd play cards on table with him and tell him we'll get the free pick, and offer him a good contract next summer. Hopefully he see this is an occasion to get a shot for the Stanley Cup and understand the situation. Win-win.

I would definitely take a 2nd for him, but not sure about a 3rd. I would not trade him for a 4th. If we were sure to resign him, sure. But that is impossible, and illegal. to arrange. He's young enough and brings enough to the table that it's not worth losing him for a a draft pick that has a very low percentage of becoming a top 9 forward or to 4 dman.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Bergevin did it with Moen... 4 years 1.8m cap hit

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

This definitely is something we should do if we can get a 3rd for him. Same thing with Plekanec.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I would definitely take a 2nd for him, but not sure about a 3rd. I would not trade him for a 4th. If we were sure to resign him, sure. But that is impossible, and illegal. to arrange. He's young enough and brings enough to the table that it's not worth losing him for a a draft pick that has a very low percentage of becoming a top 9 forward or to 4 dman.

I don't think anyone would pay a 2nd for him. In my mind, a 4th would be great value and hopefully we can re-sign him on July 1st for two years @ 1M/year. Give his ice time to Carr, DLR, and McCarron for the last 20 games of the season so we can decide on their future as well.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Don't forget he is probably playing his best hockey because he knew this would have been his last chance to play in the NHL. 5 years is incredibly dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad