Value of: Nicolas Deslauriers to the Pens, does it make sense?

Hennessey1981

Jun 12, 2013
Ducks fans, what would it take? A late pick I would assume but I know those "glue" guys are tough to get rid of. I also know the new regime would love a player like him on our roster and I think we could afford him. The question is does he improve our bottom 6 while bringing an element that Burke and Hextall love? Curious on everyone's thoughts.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Ducks fans, what would it take? A late pick I would assume but I know those "glue" guys are tough to get rid of. I also know the new regime would love a player like him on our roster and I think we could afford him. The question is does he improve our bottom 6 while bringing an element that Burke and Hextall love? Curious on everyone's thoughts.
Burke would love it. He tried to ruin Calgary with a goon squad a few years ago......

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

He's one of the few tough guys left on the team, so the Ducks would probably want to keep him unless someone "overpays". Now overpay is a relative term, instead of a late round pick it's probably a mid round pick so it wouldn't break the bank. Basically, he's a guy the Ducks won't actively try to get rid of, but would definitely listen to offers on.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Surprised this guy is still in the league.

He seems decent enough for what he brings. Fought Reaves to a draw this year, so he can absorb punches from Wilson like a human punching bag if that's a thing the Penguins still want to dabble in (let's face it they do).

Hennessey1981

Jun 12, 2013
He seems decent enough for what he brings. Fought Reaves to a draw this year, so he can absorb punches from Wilson like a human punching bag if that's a thing the Penguins still want to dabble in (let's face it they do).

That's what I was getting at. We don't want a "human punching bag", we need a serviceable physical bottom 6 player who can contribute. I know that's a huge ask that's why I was wondering what the Ducks, Habs, and even Sabres fans thought of him.

I don't think this team needs to be ruined by being turned into a goon squad but some physicality would be an asset. It's quite clear what Washington and the Isles gameplan is against Pittsburgh especially this year where we look faster than the Caps.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That's what I was getting at. We don't want a "human punching bag", we need a serviceable physical bottom 6 player who can contribute. I know that's a huge ask that's why I was wondering what the Ducks, Habs, and even Sabres fans thought.

I don't think this team needs to be ruined by being turned into a goon squad but some physicality would be an asset. It's quite clear what Washington and the Isles gameplan is against Pittsburgh especially this year where we look faster than the Caps.

Taking Wilson off the ice for 5 minutes is a pretty significant thing so - win-win. He either earns the respect of his bench by standing up to him, or he gets a fight.

And then Hathaway takes him off the ice for 5 minutes and Wilson continues to goon it up with Chara and Dillon oh wait back to the drawing board. Nah you probably do want another Tanev.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don t think you d want him except you need him to send a message to the other team. He is a NHL player only because he is a fighter, he puts his heart on the ice most of the time but he is very limited otherwise. He is a 15 -20 point 4th liner with no real defensive skill (without being a complete liability). Fine to be 13th forward but not much more on a contender s team. (Maybe he has improved but that s what i gathered when he played in MTL)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Mid round pick though it’s getting to the point where you can have him for free if it means Eakins will quit scratching Terry and Heinen for him

Reactions: Desert Duck

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That's what I was getting at. We don't want a "human punching bag", we need a serviceable physical bottom 6 player who can contribute. I know that's a huge ask that's why I was wondering what the Ducks, Habs, and even Sabres fans thought of him.

From what I've seen of him (mostly when he was with the Habs) he's mostly a nothing player. Good skater, lots of hustle, drops the gloves if needed, but cannot really play a solid defensive game and most certainly cannot provide any offense. Maybe he's been serviceable for the Ducks but considering the pool of talent outside the NHL I just don't think Deslauriers belongs in the league, at least as a regular.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I'd very much want him on the Caps seems like a high end heavyweight fighter who can still produce and be useful on the ice. Does he PK? Take Panik and whatever reasonable plus you fancy

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
From what I've seen of him (mostly when he was with the Habs) he's mostly a nothing player. Good skater, lots of hustle, drops the gloves if needed, but cannot really play a solid defensive game and most certainly cannot provide any offense. Maybe he's been serviceable for the Ducks but considering the pool of talent outside the NHL I just don't think Deslauriers belongs in the league, at least as a regular.

He puts 20 points up from the 4th line while being a top heavyweight in the league, what more could you ask for

Reactions: Dirk316

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Mid round pick though it’s getting to the point where you can have him for free if it means Eakins will quit scratching Terry and Heinen for him

You have a point there about Terry, but Bob and Eakins like Deslauriers a lot more than you do. He was signed to an extension to play a role they value, so no he isn’t available for free.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I always loved watching him with Montreal. I can't say I've seen or heard anything of him since they traded him, so just going off of his stats the last couple of years, I'd say probably a 4th or 5th round pick

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Why? He doesn’t look out of place most of the time as far as face punchers go. He actually has a heavy wrist shot too.

Good for you then. All I know is that I'm glad the Habs don't need to employ a player of his level on our roster anymore. He wasn't terrible for us either but he doesn't really provide much in regards of actual hockey that most taxi squad guys in the league wouldn't.

13 in 59 games last season while leading the league in fighting majors.

13 was less than 20 the last time I checked.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You have a point there about Terry, but Bob and Eakins like Deslauriers a lot more than you do. He was signed to an extension to play a role they value, so no he isn’t available for free.
It was my personal feelings towards the matter not an actual statement of what I think will happen in reality

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Good for you then. All I know is that I'm glad the Habs don't need to employ a player of his level on our roster anymore. He wasn't terrible for us either but he doesn't really provide much in regards of actual hockey that most taxi squad guys in the league wouldn't.

That’s nice. Some fans like physical hockey, some don’t.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If he doesn't return at least a mid round pick, I'd prefer to just keep him. He fills that particular role without being a liability, no doubt he's heavily respected in the room.

Reactions: duckpuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad