Nicola Riopel

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I just checked out the QMJHL website and seen that he got a 50 save shutout in the season opener for Moncton. He was a 1st round pick 14th overall, what sort of strengths and weaknesses does he have and what round do they project him to go in this years draft.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He is a mini version of Corey Crawford. Very technical and methodical in goal. Great positionally, doesnt have to rely on reflexes. He is 5'11 180, alright size, not small or big, he also has a very good glove hand.

Hes a good prospect.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He is a mini version of Corey Crawford. Very technical and methodical in goal. Great positionally, doesnt have to rely on reflexes. He is 5'11 180, alright size, not small or big, he also has a very good glove hand.

Hes a good prospect.
With a solid rookie season do you expect him to go within the top 3 rounds of the draft?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
With a solid rookie season do you expect him to go within the top 3 rounds of the draft?

Hes below 6'00 so i doubt it...i know guys like Theodore and Giguere are only 5'11 but Riopel looks smaller in the net.

He could be a great pick in the 4th-7th area..steal worthy. But like I said, 5'11 will keep him out of the first 3 rounds id say.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Hes below 6'00 so i doubt it...i know guys like Theodore and Giguere are only 5'11 but Riopel looks smaller in the net.

He could be a great pick in the 4th-7th area..steal worthy. But like I said, 5'11 will keep him out of the first 3 rounds id say.

yeah right like bernier's 5.11 kept him out of the first three rounds:sarcasm:
it doesnt matter if you are 5.11 or 6.00 imo. the best goalie gets picked first. at least from the opinion of the team that picks.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
yeah right like bernier's 5.11 kept him out of the first three rounds:sarcasm:
it doesnt matter if you are 5.11 or 6.00 imo. the best goalie gets picked first. at least from the opinion of the team that picks.

Ummm...Bernier is on a completely different level.

Riopel is a good goalie, but its not like he is a top 10 talent that will fall because he is 5'11...he is a SOLID goalie prospect at this point...nothing more nothing less.

Transported Upstater

People, Riopel had a great first game, but this is VERY early in the year yet...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Ummm...Bernier is on a completely different level.

Riopel is a good goalie, but its not like he is a top 10 talent that will fall because he is 5'11...he is a SOLID goalie prospect at this point...nothing more nothing less.

bernier wasn't expected to go as early as he did either. my point is that you just never now. he might be a first rounder and he might go undrafted. its to early to tell;)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
bernier wasn't expected to go as early as he did either. my point is that you just never now. he might be a first rounder and he might go undrafted. its to early to tell;)
Bernier went were he was suppost toor even a little later for some. Going into the year he was suppost to be the franchise goaltender.

Transported Upstater

Jonathan Bernier was unquestionably going in the first round.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
well bernier got picked early. there is nothing to say about that, but he needed the good season he had to get picked that high. no one is secured first rounders a year before the draft ( there is exeptions offcourse. crosby, ovechkin, malkin, kessel, ej).
you need to have a good season in your draft year even if you are expected to go in the first round. look at joensuu he was expected to go top-10 for a long time evan mcgrath in 04 was expected to go in the first. and didn't get picked before the round 4, but my first point was that it didn't matter if you are 5.11 or 6.00 just look at bernier.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->