Confirmed with Link: Nico to be named Devils captain

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ

I truly don't think the two go hand in hand.

Not to turn the thread off topic, but I'd be surprised if Palms ends up elsewhere. Fitz thinks highly of him as he expressed last year after the trade deadline, and he likely has less incentive than ever to hit the free agent market given the uncertainty of everything.

If both parties are on the same page, they should be able to come to a pretty reasonable agreement I wold imagine.

I guess I just felt Palmieri was the de facto leader after Greene was traded. No one on the team screams "Captain" to me, but Nico can grow into that role. I think it will motivate him to take his game to the next level that we know hes capable of.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The C is chosen by management. Its not going to have a big shift in roles by the players, they're still going to act the same way on the team. Palmieri, Zajac, and Subban will still be the main leaders of the team and Nico will work his way to that role given his 7 year long contract.

The older players have been around long enough to know this so they shouldn't be too concerned. They may be secretly happy because one of the few jobs the captain has is to do media Q&A after the game and they may not feel obliged to do it all the time.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We can't keep passing the C around to an old dude with a foot out of the door.

Time for a C locked up long term that can grow with the team.

Correct and easy choice.

Look, we all get it. Lovejoy isn’t coming back. You don’t have to rub it in. Sometimes you can be so cruel.

Last edited:

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
We can't keep passing the C around to an old dude with a foot out of the door.

Time for a C locked up long term that can grow with the team.

Correct and easy choice.

I don't think it was THAT easy with both Hughes and Hischier on the roster. What if Hughes becomes 100 pts+ natural leader?

Personally, I thought that they would either not give "C" to anyone or give it to Palmieri/Zajac, to give themselves more time to decide between Hughes and Hischier. Hischier's personality fits this role though and teammates' reaction seems to indicate that they're happy with this choice so I don't think it was a blunder.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think it was THAT easy with both Hughes and Hischier on the roster. What if Hughes becomes 100 pts+ natural leader?

Personally, I thought that they would either not give "C" to anyone or give it to Palmieri/Zajac, to give themselves more time to decide between Hughes and Hischier. Hischier's personality fits this role though and teammates' reaction seems to indicate that they're happy with this on ice so I don't think it was a blunder.
Aside from the fact that over the long term, of the two, Nico will likely prove to be more attentive to the defensive end of the ice, and I do think that plays a large role in captainship, some interesting psychology maneuvering going on here too in that this allows Hughes to be a burgeoning superstar without the pressure of the captaincy. While also giving Nico, a former #1 pick himself, the leadership role in an environment where Hughes is likely going to take much of the spotlight.

Was Nico going to feel slighted, or overshadowed? Does that stuff play into the decision making? Maybe, maybe not, but I do think they will prove to be benefits.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The C is chosen by management. Its not going to have a big shift in roles by the players, they're still going to act the same way on the team. Palmieri, Zajac, and Subban will still be the main leaders of the team and Nico will work his way to that role given his 7 year long contract.

The older players have been around long enough to know this so they shouldn't be too concerned. They may be secretly happy because one of the few jobs the captain has is to do media Q&A after the game and they may not feel obliged to do it all the time.
The vet's know the deal, where we are as a team, and who the faces of this team will be going fwd, and as you say they probably even like not having to deal with some of the pressures of captaincy.

Those guys will continue to provide leadership roles, and will certainly help support Nico as he takes on the captaincy.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Only other players you could really have considered were Wood or Seves, Nico was the best choice imo.

Nicomo Cosca

Aug 13, 2020
Cincinnati, OH

Personally, I thought that they would either not give "C" to anyone or give it to Palmieri/Zajac, to give themselves more time to decide between Hughes and Hischier. Hischier's personality fits this role though and teammates' reaction seems to indicate that they're happy with this choice so I don't think it was a blunder.
I see it as a Toews/Kane type dynamic. Hughes will almost assuredly end up being the big points producer out of the two, but Nico will be the better all around player, and a natural fit for captain.

My ideal situation is Nico with the C (☑️) and Hughes and Smith with the A’s within a few years.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Nico is the first jersey I feel safe buying in while.

Bought one as soon as they announced his number lol, it's still our old jersey too which he never actually wore. Just need to find a way to get the C stitched on now. Or maybe I won't and it'll be vintage, like I've been a big fan of Nico long before the captaincy kind of thing.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't mind that Nico is captain but don't feel that he earned it on the ice. We don't know what it's like in the room and clearly his teammates and coaches support it so maybe that plays a huge role. But I would have liked to see them go with 4 A's and definitively turn this around before making any kind of call.

He doesn't look 100% to me but once he does, I think it's fine to start amping up the criticism of a first overall with the C in his fourth year. 50 pt pace will not cut it, especially next year.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I vote for Capt Poo Poo, just for the immature laughs it would give me

ugh, that sort of fell flat. You may have to go down to the ECHL to work on your jokes for a bit. Tighten them up and try to focus on witty repartee when you are down there. I expect if the big club falls out of the playoffs and moves veterans there will be a chance to get back to Bingo before the end of the year. You were making so much progress until now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->