Nico Hischier vs Jack Hughes

Who is the better player now and who will be the better player in 3 years?

• Hughes now, and Hischier in 3 years.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheNeutralPresident

Feb 29, 2020
The Neutral Planet
Hischier has the major advantage atm of course but Hughes has the potential. Tough to say one will be better than the other since Jack is still an unknown but if I could vote I'd go Hughes in 3 years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hischier now, Hischier in the future.

I wasn’t a big fan of either prior to them getting to the NHL. I think I had Hischier properly rated and the Devils didn’t, but he’s developing well in the NHL and probably will be better than I thought.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hischier now, Hischier in the future.

I wasn’t a big fan of either prior to them getting to the NHL. I think I had Hischier properly rated and the Devils didn’t, but he’s developing well in the NHL and probably will be better than I thought.

He was the easy pick at #1 IMO.

In hindsight Heiskanen looks fantastic but at the time it was really between Hischier & Patrick, good for the Devils that did not pick the injury prone prospect.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was the easy pick at #1 IMO.

In hindsight Heiskanen looks fantastic but at the time it was really between Hischier & Patrick, good for the Devils that did not pick the injury prone prospect.

Some had Pettersson 1OA, and some had Patrick 1OA. He wasn't an easy 1OA. He probably was actually the least easy 1OA in recent memory. In the past five drafts, that was the only draft I remember where the 1OA wasn't known or pretty clear who it would be entering draft week.

It's not a terrible outcome to get the 4th-5th best player a few years after the draft with the first pick, but I think when you are drafting 1OA, you should have a lot higher expectations that your pick ends up the best player than if you are drafting 2nd or 3rd. You control the outcome at 1. You don't control it afterwards, and often times at 1, there's a gap between 1OA and the rest. I don't agree with your stance that he was the easy 1OA, but if we take your stance at face value, shouldn't there be less leeway in accepting the 4th-5th best player if you got the easy pick for 1OA?

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Pretty easily Jack Hughes in the Future. Hischier is better right now but he wasn't very good this year either.

devils1119

Aug 24, 2008
New Jersey
Nico now and Nico in 3 years, more of a testament to his game than a knock on Hughes’ progression. I think in ~5 years they’ll be considered 1A and 1B on the Devils depth chart as opposed to a clear cut 1 and 2, with Nico having solidified himself as one of the better two way centers in the game, while Jack really begins hitting his stride and starts living up to that 1,1 potential. Not to say he won’t progress between now and then, but I do think he’s a few more years away from being a true force in this league.

Will be interesting to see who the Devils walk away from this draft with...the possibility of slotting a finisher like Holtz on Jack’s wing is mouth watering...

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Hisch now, but I like Jack's potential a little better, also having Quinn could expedite their growth.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Voted for the 2nd option. Nico is the better player now, but I expect Hughes to be the better player in the future. His ceiling is higher.

Reactions: bobholly39

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Definitely a major drop in talent going from the 2015 (McDavid) & 2016 (Matthews) draft, to the 2017 (Nico) & 2019 (Hughes) draft. I guess I'll take Hughes. But both are unlikely to be top ten players in the league.

mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
I was already saying Hischier over Hughes prior to this season because Nico had such a strong start to his career, and I don't think people realize just how good he is, but after Hughes' rough start to his career I don't think it's even a question anymore, Hischier 100% over Hughes at the moment, and likely going forward too, because Jack has a lot of catching up to do if he wants to reach Nico's level.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Some had Pettersson 1OA, and some had Patrick 1OA. He wasn't an easy 1OA. He probably was actually the least easy 1OA in recent memory. In the past five drafts, that was the only draft I remember where the 1OA wasn't known or pretty clear who it would be entering draft week.

It's not a terrible outcome to get the 4th-5th best player a few years after the draft with the first pick, but I think when you are drafting 1OA, you should have a lot higher expectations that your pick ends up the best player than if you are drafting 2nd or 3rd. You control the outcome at 1. You don't control it afterwards, and often times at 1, there's a gap between 1OA and the rest. I don't agree with your stance that he was the easy 1OA, but if we take your stance at face value, shouldn't there be less leeway in accepting the 4th-5th best player if you got the easy pick for 1OA?

I don’t remember anyone saying Pettersson should go 1st. He went even higher than he was ranked on most lists

Reactions: CaptTeneile

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Obviously Hischier is better now that shouldn’t even be a part of the poll. In 3 years I’m gonna go Hughes but maybe Hischier will surprise

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted for the 2nd option. Nico is the better player now, but I expect Hughes to be the better player in the future. His ceiling is higher.

Same here. Heavily influenced by the hype around him though - we'll see if it pans out. I didn't get to see him much this year.

Reactions: slapKing

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I don’t remember anyone saying Pettersson should go 1st. He went even higher than he was ranked on most lists
There certainly was a minority that had Pettersson ranked 1st heading into the draft.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Prior to the start of the season I thought Hughes would struggle this year. That being said I think it’s crazy that some people are giving up on him so early.

Reactions: slapKing

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pretty easily Jack Hughes in the Future. Hischier is better right now but he wasn't very good this year either.

Well, Hischier did outscore Hughes 52 to 21 as rookies. Extrapolate Hughes' numbers across 82 games that's still only 28 points.

I voted Hischier now, Hughes in the future, but wouldn't be surprised if Hischier just stayed on top.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I prefer Hischier's game and he's shown better in the NHL as a rookie, and continued to perform after. I'll take Hischier. Hughes has huge offensive potential, but I think Hischier could become a highly skilled, dominant two way centre. Not Datsyuk good, but in that mould.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Hischier now, Hughes in 3 years.

I think Hischier tops out as a 70ish point elite 2-way C, while Hughes will me more of an offensive player. Its too early to tell but I could see him being a 90+ point player, whether that be as a C or a winger.

I think they will both be 1st line quality very soon. But New Jersey does need to get them some offensive talent to play with. I dont think Miles Wood, Travis Zajac, and Joey Anderson are ideal top 6 forwards.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Definitely a major drop in talent going from the 2015 (McDavid) & 2016 (Matthews) draft, to the 2017 (Nico) & 2019 (Hughes) draft. I guess I'll take Hughes. But both are unlikely to be top ten players in the league.
Jack has Art Ross potential

The kid was a top-5 skater in the league for zone entries at 18 and had Wayne Simmonds and Miles Wood as his primary linemates.

He will explode in the next few years

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Hughes' perceived offensive ceiling is through the roof (90+ points). He had a rough year for sure, but so did literally everyone on the Devils not named Blackwood or Gusev (save for the first 10/15 games or so). This extended offseason might be the best thing for Hughes as far as physical development. I'm hopeful he can comeback next season more experienced and with some added weight.

Nico is clearly the better player right now and not finished developing either. A realistic hope for Nico is to become a 65/70 point two way C that gets some Selke votes. I wouldn't be shocked if Nico hits a peak with a PPG season or two, but I'm not making that an expectation.

Nico now, Hughes in three years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad