Nico Hischier - Elite?

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Looks to have metrics that put him in good company with elite players but probably still has some league-wide rep to build in order to earn that label outside of his home fan base. Of course it would help if the team wasn't mostly hot garbage this year, so there's that.

With Hall's extended absence we're really starting to see more of Nico's potential revealed. Far as what the rest of HF thinks, I don't really care after reading some of the unwarranted disrespect heaped on him.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
if hall was healthier, his #s would be even higher, i bet
He's actually coming into his own without him though, which is really nice to see. He looks like he'll be able to anchor his own line in the not-too-distant-future if not now. Maybe his numbers might be slightly higher with Hall around, but his performance without him helps push him towards being elite.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
if hall was healthier, his #s would be even higher, i bet

It’s more his lack of PP points that hold him back from the proper recognition.

It’s defibitely why he didn’t get more Calder consideration. He was scoring on space with the top three rookies last year at evens. Was also the youngest rookie in his class.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it depends on how you define elite. if crosby is elite, and mcdavid, and kucherov etc, then of course nico isn’t. that’s absurd

Reactions: devilsblood

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
He will be.

But as of right now, is he a bonafide no questions asked #1 center? I’d say no. But he’s doing absolutely fine in that role, and he should get that “no questions asked” status soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartyOwns

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah once he gets on the 1st pp his spike in points will push him into the next level at least in terms of recognition. he's going to be very very good for us

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
He probably won't ever put up gaudy stats like the Crosby's or McDavid's o the league, but his ceiling is probably a PPG or close to PPG center who is also elite or close to elite defensively as well. Of course the philistines on the main board will just say he was 1OA in a weak draft and herp derp Petterson.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think Hall being out this long is really good for Nico. He just has to be "the guy," even if the numbers aren't half as good as they would be with Hall, he looks 100% more confident. He is deciding how the play is going to go and learning what works and what doesn't. As much as I want Hall to play, if we aren't in the playoffs, I think this is the next best outcome for Nico.

Because when Hall comes back, you have two liner drivers now, if need be. If not, put them together and he will be that much better.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I think Hall being out this long is really good for Nico. He just has to be "the guy," even if the numbers aren't half as good as they would be with Hall, he looks 100% more confident. He is deciding how the play is going to go and learning what works and what doesn't. As much as I want Hall to play, if we aren't in the playoffs, I think this is the next best outcome for Nico.

Because when Hall comes back, you have two liner drivers now, if need be. If not, put them together and he will be that much better.

Agreed. Hischier has really shown he is capable of being “the guy” these past weeks (months?) with Hall being out. He looks incredibly confident and there’s not a doubt in my mind that he can’t be a consistent 70 point guy in his offensive prime with or without Hall. Definitely potential for a peak of >ppg too.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Nico will be a premier 1C at some point soon. He is not like Matthews or McDavid or even Eichel who all were physically developed when they entered the league. He played one year of north american hockey before his draft year and is making major improvements it seems every 20 games or so since his career started. He isn't crazy skilled, but does have more skill than he has shown so far and that will come with physical development and experience. He is very smart and works his bag off every shift, which to me is a premier 1C if he can get over the 70 point plateau. Faceoffs need help, but strength and experience are super important there so once that improves he can be great in all areas. He is way ahead of some other similar style players were at this point (Barkov, Bergeron) and about at where kopitar was at this point in his career.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I wrote a new post on my site, Puck77.com. Talked about whether or not Nico Hischier is an elite centre. I'd love to hear what you all think.

New Jersey Devils: Is Nico Hischier An Elite Centre?
Not yet. Maybe not ever depending on what your definition of Elite is.

And @Bleedred doesn't speak for the "majority" of this board. Just because a few posters that post a billion times a day think he is the greatest player ever, doesn't mean the board collectively believes that.

Great player right now. Certainly not elite. As for the future? If you consider a 25G, 45A all situation, 2way C elite...then yes, eventually.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

yeah i've been thinking that in some ways, hall being out has forced the rest of the team to deal with "adversity" (as hynes phrases it), and not be so reliant on hall to score/set up. I originally didn't think he'd be out this long, and we'd get to see the team mesh back together with him (and ultimately making us a better team overall), but what can you do

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm in the not there yet camp.

and if the category of elite's is the top 5 centers in the game, maybe he never will be. But I think he is already a legit #1 center, and I think there is plenty of room for growth. Physically he is not there yet, and his game is not a pure open ice game, like Barzal for instance, his game wants to involve physicality, so once he gets more of that man strength, I think his game will be all that much better for it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think it's a little disingenuous to use shot rates as a metric for evaluating him. Our analytics department values high danger chances over shot attempts and shot rates. We get out-corsi'd basically every game because the coaching staff prioritizes shot quality over shot quantity.

I don't know what the data is for this year but last year he was very close to Hall in terms of high danger metrics.

Stuck With Nico

Registered Otaku
Sep 28, 2017
New Hampshire
I don't see him as elite right now. He's done very well in the role he has for this team. However, in another two years I can see him being on the verge of an elite 2 way center that nets 75 points a year.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I’m surprised at what seems to be the significant doubt as to whether he can be a 70+ point player. He’s 20 years old and on pace for a 60+ point year already. Nothing is a foregone conclusion and he needs to actually get there, but he still has to mature physically and is making steady, consistent improvements. It seems to me that a 70+ point, 2way center is a reasonable floor to expect from him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Why does Nico have to be evaluated this way? He's a child playing a man's game in a foreign country on a team where he and another child have to carry the burden for the lack of high end vets. To me that's impressive, and "elite" or not (that word is very subjective to me) I'm watching these games so long as he and Bratt (and PZ and Coleman) are playing.

Joe Flacco isn't elite, but he's got his ring and is laughing all the way to the bank, so why does his lack of elite status matter?

This obsession with everything is the best or the worst is bad for our society in the long run. When did so many people adopt the philosophy of Ricky Bobby's admittedly alcoholic father? Yeah, yeah, I know, get off my lawn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->