Nicks in Skates?

SnowBlue

Aug 10, 2010
Im curious, I just bought new skates, and after an hour on the ice noticed several, maybe 2-3 (tiny) nicks on my skates. Theye could be more tinier nicks but it could be just my imagination.

Now the ice felt very rough, and apparently it was not zambonied for some time. What concerns me is that when I looked at my friends figure skates I could not find any nicks.

Could I have been just driving my skates harder? Was I just unlucky? Could a bad sharpening job cause nicks?

ThisIsOilCountry

Jan 1, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Im curious, I just bought new skates, and after an hour on the ice noticed several, maybe 2-3 (tiny) nicks on my skates. Theye could be more tinier nicks but it could be just my imagination.

Now the ice felt very rough, and apparently it was not zambonied for some time. What concerns me is that when I looked at my friends figure skates I could not find any nicks.

Could I have been just driving my skates harder? Was I just unlucky? Could a bad sharpening job cause nicks?

Something similar happened to a pair of my skates, I don't know what caused it, but it had little affect of my skating ability. Overtime, getting them sharpened it eventually went down. I don't use them anymore, but if they were to be sharpened a few more times the skates would probably be back to normal

SnowBlue

Aug 10, 2010
Well, the second time I put them on things appeared to have become worse. One of the blades is flaking. It looks like the outer edge is coming of.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This should not be happening, bring them back to the shop where you bought them and have them put in new steel.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Well, the second time I put them on things appeared to have become worse. One of the blades is flaking. It looks like the outer edge is coming of.

5304875-dandruff-issue-on-man-s-sholder.jpg

Joking aside, what kind of skates do you have? They should never appear to flake. But they will get nicks in them, but typically from game situations unless you fling yourself into the boards/post/etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad