Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think Nicky always had very good TOI numbers. He is slow, yeah, but I can't say if he's lesser motor. Just his speed is low for NHL.

He doesn't even seems fat anymore. He can play 2C for another 5 years after current window is done. Easily! :P

ryan519*

What are the chances that we see Nick have another 25-30G season? While still maintaining the assist numbers

I hope Trotz is repeatedly pounding it into his head that he needs to let loose his shot more often. It's gotten to the point where the other team isn't even expecting him to shoot at all anymore. Case in point the game tying goal in game 2 against the isles last year

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What are the chances that we see Nick have another 25-30G season? While still maintaining the assist numbers

I hope Trotz is repeatedly pounding it into his head that he needs to let loose his shot more often. It's gotten to the point where the other team isn't even expecting him to shoot at all anymore. Case in point the game tying goal in game 2 against the isles last year

Backstrom has two great playmakers on his line in Ovechkin and Oshie, his goal totals should go up again.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Backstrom has two great playmakers on his line in Ovechkin and Oshie, his goal totals should go up again.

Or you can say he'll now have two guys that can shoot, he might stop shooting altogether, the first 0G-100A season :)

Point totals should hopefully/definitely go up, though.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010

With Backstrom losing the entire off-season, I see him starting off slowly and highly doubt he'll pot that many goals.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Or you can say he'll now have two guys that can shoot, he might stop shooting altogether, the first 0G-100A season :)

Point totals should hopefully/definitely go up, though.

Maybe he'll finally make an all-star game too.. like he deserves. Political BS in the NHL makes me sick in regards to that whole weekend.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe he'll finally make an all-star game too.. like he deserves. Political BS in the NHL makes me sick in regards to that whole weekend.

Not sure his numbers at the break have ever been good enough honestly (as compared to his peers each year).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Does Nugent-Hoptkins deserve a spot over him?

What year are we talking about? I'd have to see numbers around voting time. EDIT: 2011-12, Was it an East West thing? That was a pretty good rookie season. Backstrom was also hurt half the season.

Does the NHL still have that silly rule about at least 1 player per team?

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Is he? I thought he couldn't do anything for a few months.

https://hockeyramblings.wordpress.c...-i-will-be-ready-for-the-start-of-the-season/

How much do you train during the summer? Could you take a couple of weeks off after the season had ended?

I usually take about 14 days off, but since I underwent surgery after the season ended, I had to rest a bit longer than that this year. In a normal year I like to get things going pretty soon after the season has ended. The training gets more ramped up as the further into the summer you get, and later on I go on ice as well. Personally I like to start my training for the upcoming season almost right away after the previous season has ended.

This would seem to indicate that he's resumed training, just after a longer than normal delay.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
txpd, please provide any evidence that Backstrom "doesn't want to go to the all star game." What a ridiculous statement, especially considering he has no say in the matter.

It's early, but at this point all signs point to this being the best trade the Caps have made in... the Ovechkin era? Who else comes close? Fedorov?

Huet for a 2nd
Steve Eminger + 3rd for 1st round pick (John Carlson)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
txpd, please provide any evidence that Backstrom "doesn't want to go to the all star game." What a ridiculous statement, especially considering he has no say in the matter.

Just go back and read what Backstrom said about last season's all star game. Backstrom likes his family time and the warm weather vacation he gets during the break. He as much as said that he asked not to be picked for the team. That he had plans.

He knows Crosby gets elected. So, he makes plans in advance. Its not ridiculous at all.

BTW. Its not unusual for veteran all star level players to turn down invitations to play or ask up front not to be asked to play.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's ridiculous suggesting doesn't WANT to go. He'd happily go he's just come to terms with the likelihood of it. You don't think it would be unusual for a first time guy? Come on...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's ridiculous suggesting doesn't WANT to go. He'd happily go he's just come to terms with the likelihood of it. You don't think it would be unusual for a first time guy? Come on...

maybe I totally remember last year wrong. players dropped out and the players picked to replace them seemed unqualified and no backy. asked he said he had a vacation planned. he said Ov is there and he represents the team.

if he outvoted Crosby, he would go, but from all ive heard him say, he is not interested in the spotlight and that weekend.

I can imagine that he would appreciate being named to a post season allstar team but is much less interested in the skills competition and an exhibition game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Saying "I'm not interested" reeks of how he deals with the snub. I'm SURE having a break with the family is great, but representing the Caps while being selected to play among the games greats....he isn't opting out, even if he could. I'm sure he would happily soak up any and every minute of every activity.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Fantastic start to the season for NB.

Dare I say he looks faster and more dangerous than last year? 2 of his 4 goals have come on a breakaway.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Fantastic start to the season for NB.

Dare I say he looks faster and more dangerous than last year? 2 of his 4 goals have come on a breakaway.

I had a secret suspicion that the fact that he was out with hip surgery and working specially to rehabilitate might actually have made his lower body shape better than usual, especially after the way he was talking about the personal trainer and the training he was on.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I haven't heard much about Backstrom this season - and I have only watched two Caps games - so I was surprised to see that he leads the team in points despite missing a few games. What's the halfway mark evaluation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad