Player Discussion Nicklas Backstrom

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Dont know if it has been posted already but he got injured in november and will be out for about five months and might miss the start of the season

http:// http://www.gd.se/sport/ishockey/ingen-golfsommar-for-nyopererad-backis

The guy has been injured since November and still managed to lead the league in points in February. He still finished top passer in the league. Jamie Benn had the same thing, he needed a hip surgery after winning the Art Ross.

I just hope he's ready for the start of the season. It was interesting to read his take on the team's loss, he's basically echoing what we said here. It was also interesting to read the difference between hockey here and in Sweden.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dont know if it has been posted already but he got injured in november and will be out for about five months and might miss the start of the season

http:// http://www.gd.se/sport/ishockey/ingen-golfsommar-for-nyopererad-backis

Unfortunate but I figured it would as a nagging injury that happened long ago and not some excuse for the round 2 performance. I really wanted to cut him some slack...but the time for giving these guys a break or the benefit of the doubt is over. No more excuses.

That link isn't working Btw...

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Unfortunate but I figured it would as a nagging injury that happened long ago and not some excuse for the round 2 performance. I really wanted to cut him some slack...but the time for giving these guys a break or the benefit of the doubt is over. No more excuses.

That link isn't working Btw...

Delete the "%20" in front of the "http".
It's in Swedish though.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am inclined to take away "the pass" most everyone gave him in the 2nd round. No pun intended.

It seems most assumed the injury happened after his best games in the first round. It happened in November and was obviously something he was able to play through just fine, otherwise he would have never posted the RS numbers he did.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
It's very possible that he aggravated his injury at the end of the Isles series. Their 4th line wreaked havoc all over the ice.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
See fans are STILL clamoring for reasons to give the guy an excuse. Mind boggling the flip flopping and preferential treatment some players get and some don't. I guess that's being human right?

2nd favorite Cap, but damn the time for cutting the core players slack is OVER. Crap or get off the pot. You either succeed in the postseason or you fail. Simple enough. So far, nothing but failure and missed expectations.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Backstrom succeeded in the first round. He "failed" in the second round. So he both succeeded and failed in the postseason. Your post is flawed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Backstrom succeeded in the first round. He "failed" in the second round. So he both succeeded and failed in the postseason. Your post is flawed.

Actually I'd call it limited success followed by ultimate failure, but keep on being you please....:shakehead

Let's debate the important stuff rather than you trying to reclassify history.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I hope he's ready to go for the start of the season. I find it surprising that he prefers NHL rinks to international ice. A playmaker like him benefits the most from having extra space to work with.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I hope he's ready to go for the start of the season. I find it surprising that he prefers NHL rinks to international ice. A playmaker like him benefits the most from having extra space to work with.

Yeah, but you and the puck have to travel farther.

I remember Ovi saying something similar about the fact that if you beat a defender in the NHL you're likely going to have a great chance to score, but if you beat a defender on international ice you still have some skating to do.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, but you and the puck have to travel farther.

I remember Ovi saying something similar about the fact that if you beat a defender in the NHL you're likely going to have a great chance to score, but if you beat a defender on international ice you still have some skating to do.

Ovi and Nicky destroyed the KHL together, with Komarov. They have some amazing highlights in just 3-4 months.

Whatever, Oshie will help Nicky in creating space for Ovi.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Great read, had it since Nov. So just a nagging thing it sounds like. Get well Nicky, we need a few world class seasons out of you the next few years.

ryan519*

still cant believe Nick is only 27. he's got many more elite seasons ahead of him

He, Ovi and Oshie are gonna wreck the league next season

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
More space might be nice for those guys who love flying around but I feel like, even if the walls are a little farther out, you still have to get to the goal and that's always in the same area.

I'd assume that's why its seen as harder to score on bigger ice, defense has more room to force you into.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
I predict that in 2 to 3 years Backstrom will be in danger of being traded. Actually, he probably will be. He just is slow and his playoff performances are not good enough. If that doesn't improve there and he is superseded by youth like kuz and potentially Burakovsky as a center, he'll be traded easily first because of his pleasant contract. I think kuz will be a better player in the end with his pace and skill which is more suited to the modern game.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
To clarify, the reason I say this is also because Backstrom patient passing game is not very effective in the playoffs vs the regular season. With the emergence of kuz, it is obvious that a center that can move forward with skill and pace is more valuable. Once kuz puts up first line numbers which is possible in a few years given his talent and natural ability, I predict Backstrom is in danger of being shown the door for a cheaper center and help elsewhere. If he can turn it around in the playoffs and earn his contract there, I'm all for him retiring a Capp.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why would we trade him even if his production plummets ?
If he's surpassed by Kuzya (which I think will happen in 2-3 years), he can always be used in a shutdown role a la Patrice Bergeron.

He's easily the best defensive forward on the team. Trotz said himself that Backstrom was nearly Selke caliber as a shutdown centre.

Backstrom will leave the team when the Cup window finally closes and Ovi is 35+. I can see Backstrom retiring as a Cap.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Backstrom doesn't have the wheels or motor to be a shutdown center. If his production plummets, we're boned unless management decides center depth is actually desirable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->