Nicklas Bäckström makes the Swedish WC roster

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Think most people, including me, belive Bäckström will become a better player then JJ. I just reacted to the "Bleh." bit in your post. It seems as if JJ aint getting much love on the HFboard.

;)

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
How compatible would Backstrom be with Ovechkin in Washington? Does that seem like the most likely place he lands right now and if so, would those two be placed on the same line together or would the Caps want to spread their offence and have them play on separate lines?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Jovofan said:
How compatible would Backstrom be with Ovechkin in Washington? Does that seem like the most likely place he lands right now and if so, would those two be placed on the same line together or would the Caps want to spread their offence and have them play on separate lines?

Well Bäckström would probably need another season in the SEL and if he would be picked by Washington I can not see how any coach would not select Ovechkin, Bäckström and Semin on the same line. Atleast for parts of the game.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
johnny_rudeboy said:
Well Bäckström would probably need another season in the SEL and if he would be picked by Washington I can not see how any coach would not select Ovechkin, Bäckström and Semin on the same line. Atleast for parts of the game.
That would be a scary line and perfect for all involved. IMO Bäckström compares well with Scott Gomez. He has that sense and vision like Gomez. Plus, while he's not flat out fast, can cut through defenders. Another thing is that he plays a very scrappy game.

The thing that I love about him, more than anything else, is his sense. He'ld make a great center for AO but I could also see him playing wing for Crosby. In that sense he reminds me alot of Zetterberg because he'll seem to do well in any situation.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I posted before on how at the WJHC Backstrom opened my eyes better than any other forward eligible fot his draft--I loved his passion,3-zone play creativity,and especially hockey sense--he thinks the game properly both ways...he certainly looked better and more advanced than Toews did...but Toews came on very well in the 2nd half at North Dakota and was dominating during their drive to the Frozen Four though they did not win it...My hunch is that the Blackhawks have targeted Toews as #1 on their list --but that any Backstrom-Kessel-Staal decision as to who would be next if Toews was off the board by #3 is still to be decided in their pre-draft meetings with their scouting staff in June prior to the draft--so Backstrom's play at the WHC could be a determinant as could Staal's continued play in the OHL champiuonships or on to the Mem Cup if the Petes survive London..
My hunch though is that the Hawks will avoid Kessel as the wrong fit for them...The Hawks need a future #1 centre,who can score,but they also want one who won't hurt the team defensively or have character flaws--those two risks probably rule out Kessel...Staal may have the greatest upside--BUT he is less advanced offensively at this point,so there is a risk if he somehow doesn't develop offensively as brother Eric did--particularly the questions on his rlease and shot which at this stage are not as good as Eric's was in his draft year (albeit Jordan is a year younger than Eric was when drafted)...in terms of wait time Jordan Staal could be 3 seasons away from having any "impact" if he can be a #1 NHL centre...
Toews made such strides in the 2nd half that he might only be 1 season away from playing as an NHL'er (maybe not carrying 1st line burdens right away,but possbly playing on a 2nd line) and ditto for Backstrom who already plays a mature game --so if the hawks are hoping for quicker "improvement" at centre,I see the best fits to draft as Towes or Backstrom ....the 2 deciding factors why I think the Hawks have Towes as the first on their "target" list over Backstrom are:

1. Toews' shot --with an efficiency near 22%,the Hawks have nobody on their current team who has that deadly a shot--Backstrom shoots at 15% in the SEL--pretty good but not 22%--the Hawks already have a PP forward who can distribute as well as shoot in Bolland coming down the pike--but the necessity to improve that PP will be getting another great shooter =Toews onto it....

2. Size-- Toews again has the advatage over Backstrom in this aspect...and he's filling out and getting stronger--so I think that also weighs to his advatage..

However--should Toews be off the board at the #3,the Hawks will need to decide
whether to take Backstrom or gamble a bit with Staal's potential upside if they have the patience to wait.

The Hawks will get a good player regardless--and even Kessel may still turn out the best of the lot--but I think he would do best on a team with an existing "franchise" player as his line-mate (eg. Crosby or Malkin in Pitt, or Ovechkin+Semin in WASH)---Phil The Thrill would probably flounder in Chicago where he could not live upto expectation to be the Saviour or help the team WIN --I don not thik Kessel could carry Chicago on his back --but he'll succeeed in putting up big points in Pitt or WASH...In Chicago,nobody would expect Toews or Backstrom to be franchise saviours,just to fit in a key cogs in a young corps of forwards being infused in,and to help improve a dreadful PP,but not hurt the team defensively either...

joe_shannon_1983*

Is Backstrom better than Gretzky?

I mean, I think it is close.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
joe_shannon_1983 said:
Is Backstrom better than Gretzky?

I mean, I think it is close.

:clap:

Congatulations! You get my special award for the most pointless post of the day. :bow:

Last edited:

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
johnny_rudeboy said:
hawksfan50
good take on it
Agreed, it's nice to hear opinions of people who follow teams closely. It's easier to get a feel for a team when you hear the words of somebody that follows it so that was helpful. Thanks hawksfan50!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Bäckström became the youngest Swede ever to play in a WCH when he made his debut against Russia today. Bäckström, who is a center, played RW on Swedens first line with Zetterberg and Franzen. Niklas had a great game. He didn't record any point but came close to scoring 4 times. He made some really nice plays& passes, handled the physical parts great against a big Russian D, and leved both Malkin and Ovechkin. AO went after him late in the game, and Niklas took a good decision when he made a quick line change. ;)

I don't know how many scouts where in the arena, it was a suprise that he played, and obviously many teams missed out on Mezaros WCH last year, but I really doubt that anyone who saw him tonight don't think this kid is a great top 3 pick. Niklas will defenitly stay on Zetterbergs line in the quaterfinal. I think Bäckström will go to Pittsburg. Crosby, Malkin and Bäckström could be a delux version of Qubecks Sakic, Forsberg & Sundin trio. It just makes to much sense, IMO, for them to pick him. They don't need another big center after Malkin, and I think Bäckström ought to be too good for them to pass on. If I where to compare Niklas with another player I think Crosby is as close as you get, or a mix of Crosby and Zetterberg. Niklas don't have Crosby's extreme speed, yet atleast. But he is, like Sidney, extremely fast at disturbuting the puck. He defenitly thrives along the boards, and while Niklas isn't underdevleoped or skinny he still might grow some and defenitly add some weight, and like Crosby just amazes with his balance and agility against bigger and stronger D's. Bäckström is also a really good defensive player and was used allot on the PK tonight.

I've always said that Bäckström don't have absolute superstar potential, but after tonight I don't know. I mean he played on the same line as Zetterberg, and against Malkin and Ovechkin, and Bäckström created as much offense as anyone else out there and he aint even drafted yet. He have defenitly improved some from the last game I saw him in, only a month ago in the SEL PO's. Anyway I doubt he is gonna do what AO did in Washington or Crosby in Pittsburg any time soon, but I am absolutely convinced that this kid will become atleast as good as Zetterberg or Alfredsson.

acr*

Backstrom may be a Bruin if he gets by Pittsburgh(seems like either Kessel or Backstrom are coming here, from what I've read)

Slightly OT Question-Where did you all get those "Will it be..." avatars?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
acr said:
Backstrom may be a Bruin if he gets by Pittsburgh(seems like either Kessel or Backstrom are coming here, from what I've read)

In a article written by the biggest hockeyreporter in Sweden today the reporter speculates where Bäckström will go in the draft. He lists the possible teams that could draft Bäckström - the draft order - and says that he knows almost for sure that Niklas won't get passed Boston. The reporter is a old school, "investigeting", friends with everybody kind of reporter. I am sure he heard from someone in Boston that they never would let Bäckström passed 5, or he wouldn't have written that.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,826088,00.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->