Nicklas Bäckström makes the Swedish WC roster

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Bäckström have been included in the squad who will face Norway in a friendly to test some players before the world cup. Ok it is just Norway but if he does well he might have an out side chance to make the final squad for the World Cup this year. But he will face strong competition from the players who are still in the play offs here in SEL and for the ones who dont reach the play offs in NHL. But atleast the head coach have him in mind. :handclap:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
You must be thrilled to have him on the roster. I hope he stays for atleast 2 seasons before he moves over. I saw him live when Brynäs play Färjestad and you could not tell he was a SEL rookie by just looking at him. I wonder who will draft him? There are a lot of NA´s who are up there in the draft so with some luck he could end up further down and be signed by a team who are competetive.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Actually, Johnny, some of us bottom-feeders (Chicago) would like to take Backstrom so he can help us be more competitive.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
i hope the wild trade up for him, he'd be perfect future top line center.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Actually, come to think of it. Hawks or Wild would be great clubs for him. Lots of talent but not so much at C so he could get a chance quicker playing a part. He can play RW also but I think he is not quick enough for being a winger in the NHL. Perfect play making C who also skates back and help out his D. Oh how I hope this is just not another one of those who look great when they are young but then dont become anything more then... well not great.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
put backstrom btwn gaborik and patrik o'sullivan he could rack up assists.

Reason I want backstrom is he's played with grown men, and excelled, I think he'd be ready to step in soon, and we could use a center, we have a lot of wingers, need more centers then mikko koivu and walz, and todd white.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
johnny_rudeboy said:
Actually, come to think of it. Hawks or Wild would be great clubs for him. Lots of talent but not so much at C so he could get a chance quicker playing a part. He can play RW also but I think he is not quick enough for being a winger in the NHL. Perfect play making C who also skates back and help out his D. Oh how I hope this is just not another one of those who look great when they are young but then dont become anything more then... well not great.

I wouldn't mind Bäckström gooing to the caps, playing between Ovechkin and Semin...`;)

SChan*

Chrisd said:

Reason I want backstrom is he's played with grown men, and excelled, I think he'd be ready to step in soon, and we could use a center, we have a lot of wingers, need more centers then mikko koivu and walz, and todd white.

Not only did he play an entire season with grown men as 18 year old, but he also dominated, and won the entire scoring on his team. Last time something like this happend was Peter Forsberg and Mats Sundin.

I am very proud of Backstrom as he comes from my village :P

also he made the national team as 18 year old, while crosby didn't j/k ;)

Transported Upstater

Kirk- NEHJ said:
From what I have heard, I don't think Backstrom's getting out of the top-five this June.

I think he may, but I don't think he should...This guy is a Top 5 talent. No doubt.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Nicklas Bäckström is still with the Swedish national team and will now play a 4-team tournament in Sweden against Russia, the Czech Republic and Finland. The tournament is called LG Hockey Games and you can follow it online over at http://stats.swehockey.se/. The first game is played tonight against the Czechs.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Bäckström will probably play along side veteran center Jörgen Jönsson and Anaheim prospect Björn Melin. Seems like a very good surrounding for a young player like Bäckström, the only issue for him is that he probably will play wing and not his natural center position.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Seiza said:
Bäckström will probably play along side veteran center Jörgen Jönsson and Anaheim prospect Björn Melin. Seems like a very good surrounding for a young player like Bäckström, the only issue for him is that he probably will play wing and not his natural center position.
No worries, Jönsson could always jump out to the wing and let Bäckström play center. :)

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Predatore said:
Nicklas Bäckström is still with the Swedish national team and will now play a 4-team tournament in Sweden against Russia, the Czech Republic and Finland. The tournament is called LG Hockey Games and you can follow it online over at http://stats.swehockey.se/. The first game is played tonight against the Czechs.
Is a schedule with the timings of the games available somewhere?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
EroCaps said:
I'd be surprised if he got past the Caps@#4.

depending on the caps preference, he will be either 4 or 5(by time caps pick it will be most likely staal, toews or kessel and backstrom left).

Would be nice for him to fall to the Islanders at 7th.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
helicecopter said:
Is a schedule with the timings of the games available somewhere?

yes, in the post you just quoted (follow the link).

Bäckström played a pretty good game yesterday against the Czech Republic. Was not spectacular, but a good game nonetheless. Had one very good scoring chance, a few minor hits and looked very strong along the boards. He said he was pretty nervous before the game. I think he will look even better in the following games (Russia on Friday, Finland on Saturday).

The GM:s of Chicago Blackhawks and Florida Panthers monitored Bäckström during the game, according to a Swedish tabloid.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Predatore said:
yes, in the post you just quoted (follow the link).

Bäckström played a pretty good game yesterday against the Czech Republic. Was not spectacular, but a good game nonetheless. Had one very good scoring chance, a few minor hits and looked very strong along the boards. He said he was pretty nervous before the game. I think he will look even better in the following games (Russia on Friday, Finland on Saturday).

The GM:s of Chicago Blackhawks and Florida Panthers monitored Bäckström during the game, according to a Swedish tabloid.
:blush: (i don't know why i thought -hoped- it was a direct link to a streaming of the games :shakehead my bad)

Thanks Predatore, these comments are appreciated! Keep them coming for the next games..

One question:
at this point in time, what percentage would you assess for Backstrom to be selected for the WCH team?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
helicecopter said:
One question:
at this point in time, what percentage would you assess for Backstrom to be selected for the WCH team?

Probably depends on what NHLers will be available. I'd say 30% now that he makes the WC team. Hopefully that percenteage will increase after the next game...

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Not to exagerate or anything... so one shouldn´t interpret too much. But his style along the boards and in powerplays is extremely similar to Peter Forsberg. Especially the coolness combined with strength and beautiful hands - along the boards and in the corners - with simply amazing splitvision. You all knew it...(of course) but I just wanted to point that out..It has become more and more obvious throughout the season. It was even more obvious after the last game against the Chechz. He has to improve his skating though, but he has already this season. So when you think about potential upside on this youngster, he is definately a lock for top 5 in the draft. I really hope that BÅ has the balls to use him in WC.

Hmm this was a pretty meaningless post(from my part) and the exactly same thing has been pointed out enough. :confused:

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Chrisd said:

If you want assits and points put Gaborik with Bouchard he is a great passer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad