Nick Suzuki, potential to be a franchise player?

Nick Suzuki, potential to be a franchise player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
There is always potential in a young player to become something great. The real question is, is he likely to fulfil his potential? O how likely is he to become a franchise player.

Either way, just based on recent player development by the Habs, I say not very likely.

Ryaduesu

Apr 28, 2021
When I see the name the first thing that pops in my head is the car/bike brand

With that said I guess the answer is no

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
When I see the name the first thing that pops in my head is the car/bike brand

With that said I guess the answer is no

This one?

FpeQ2XN.png

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
No way. He's really good though

I mean, there's always a chance it happens - Marchand went from "pest top 6 player" to elite star later in his career. How many Marchand are around the league though?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Pretty easy no for me. As I brought up in the other "franchise player" thread I use the term pretty strictly. I view it as a player who can be the #1 player on a cup contending team that realistically has a shot at winning, and they're the centerpiece of their respective team.

Tampa- Hedman, Kucherov
Florida- Barkov
Toronto- Matthews
Pittsburgh- Crosby
Washington- Ovi
Colorado- Mackinnon
Edmonton- McDavid, Draisaitl
Rangers- Panarin

There's some borderline guys like Aho, Pastrnak, Stone etc but usually I find myself questioning if non-top 10 players are really "franchise" defining players.

Does anyone other than @KevSkillz4 and @KotkaCaufield honestly believe Suzuki will get anywhere near that level? Probably not.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Pretty easy no for me. As I brought up in the other "franchise player" thread I use the term pretty strictly. I view it as a player who can be the #1 player on a cup contending team that realistically has a shot at winning, and they're the centerpiece of their respective team.

Tampa- Hedman, Kucherov
Florida- Barkov
Toronto- Matthews
Pittsburgh- Crosby
Washington- Ovi
Colorado- Mackinnon
Rangers- Panarin

There's some borderline guys like Aho, Pastrnak, Stone etc but usually I find myself questioning if non-top 10 players are really "franchise" defining players.

Does anyone other than @KevSkillz4 and @KotkaCaufield honestly believe Suzuki will get anywhere near that level? Probably not.

I don't want to get into a whole list but in terms of forwards I'd have guys like Stamkos, Tavares, Kopitar, Getzlaf, etc. (or are we only talking about franchise players that are currently elite?)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I mean maybe, but it depends on definition of a franchise player? Is Ryan O'Reilly a franchise player, cause I think thats a reasonable ceiling for Suzuki. If so then yes, if not then no.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Only if one's definition of "franchise player" is "best player on the team". But I think that's a watered down definition because not all teams have a franchise-level player, as IMO, that definition isn't taken literally (ie. 31 franchise players because 31 franchises), but rather as a description of talent level a player possesses where he's the type of player you can truly build a winning team around.

Capz

Jul 1, 2019
Prob not but you really never know. Him being a 1C for the Habs is good enough. It's been long enough since one of those were in MTL.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Tampa- Hedman, Kucherov
Florida- Barkov
Toronto- Matthews
Pittsburgh- Crosby
Washington- Ovi
Colorado- Mackinnon
Rangers- Panarin

While I do agree somewhat with that statement, there are number 1 centers like Brayden Point and Evgeni Kuznetsov who debatedly carried their teams to win the cup. They aren't known as franchise players, but I thought they were better than both Ovi and Hedman and I'm a diehard ovi fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad