for

Pacioretty

BE73B090-A26C-46BF-8FA4-E4B0D85D7742.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: domiwroze

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I listened again to the AC segment that followed the Panthers game and as I mentioned, their analysts have been gushing over Suzuki. This time, massive praise came from Denis Gauthier.

Denis Gauthier: Suzuki is a star in the making. Best player in the Pacioretty deal even if we'll have to wait a few years. He possibly has the highest IQ of any player in the Habs's org., regardless of position played.

Reactions: jaffy27 and cphabs

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I checked his weight online, he is listed at 5'11" and 201. Is this correct? He looks smaller. At his age he will probably put on another 10 as he fills out. That is pretty solid.

Reactions: cphabs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I listened again to the AC segment that followed the Panthers game and as I mentioned, their analysts have been gushing over Suzuki. This time, massive praise came from Denis Gauthier.

Denis Gauthier: Suzuki is a star in the making. Best player in the Pacioretty deal even if we'll have to wait a few years. He possibly has the highest IQ of any player in the Habs's org., regardless of position played.
We'll see if they remember this when he has a dry spell or his shine wears off.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I checked his weight online, he is listed at 5'11" and 201. Is this correct? He looks smaller. At his age he will probably put on another 10 as he fills out. That is pretty solid.
Yea it is. He came into camp at 207 but I heard him say 203 after. He's been pretty tough to knock off the puck for someone his age.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Smaller or shorter? He does not have long legs which is common for his ancestry. The longer the legs the taller one appears. Ernie Els looks taller than Nick Faldo,yet Faldo has an inch on him,all in the legs and length of the body.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He's not static at all. Suzuki is involved all the time. Always around on both zones. It's like he established himself in the league from a while ago. Truly he's the playmaker long-awaited that we needed the most.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
You know, a lot of people like to make the Danault/Bergeron comparison, but it finally hit me. Claude is actually molding Suzuki into Bergeron. In my view, hes much closer to what Bergeron can do at both ends of the ice than Danault, and I'm a fan of Danault, but I never saw him reaching the heights that Patrice did. I really think this kid is gonna play a similar role to what Patrice has done for Boston.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
You know, a lot of people like to make the Danault/Bergeron comparison, but it finally hit me. Claude is actually molding Suzuki into Bergeron. In my view, hes much closer to what Bergeron can do at both ends of the ice than Danault, and I'm a fan of Danault, but I never saw him reaching the heights that Patrice did. I really think this kid is gonna play a similar role to what Patrice has done for Boston.
Suzuki did say he tries to mould his game after Bergeron. He looks more and more like him every day. Hopefully he gets to that level one day.

Reactions: Doublelift

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

I remember John Lu mentioned the same thing, he said Julien is tough on Suzuki's even strength play because he wants to make him the next Patrice Bergeron.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

He's shown he has the potential at least to be a Bergeron/ O'reilly type of #1 c.

Will be interesting to see just how good he becomes. For now it's great to watch him carry the puck up the ice with so much confidence.

Reactions: Doublelift

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
That's why I don't put much emphasis on international tournaments. What he had done there? Pretty nothing right... Team performances is what I care the most when I follow any hockey player.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Bump to 1st page, a little tribute to Nick... I believe in him. Big fan looking ahead to the next 15 some years he'll be here for. ;)

March 2nd (also a Beagle-Poehling gem):

Sure Poehling's body is more NHL ready, his floor is higher than Suzuki's in that frame. Conversely I'd say Suzuki's ceiling is much higher than Ryan given the hands and the IQ, so they'll probably stagger by a year or two in terms of making the roster. I see Poehling topping out as Jay Beagle and Suzuki as having the potential to be a poor man's Kariya without the explosive skating.

March 2nd (to a ticked off BaseballCoach):

Alright so all of these hyperboles are on the same level as the one I threw in there? Nice.

Suzuki has skills and stats we haven't had in the system for a long time. No doubt his floor is low, but the ceiling aspect is very interesting.

March 3rd:

Hey, it's a crapshoot this far out.

Prime Beagle was a fine 3C. Suzuki has a wicked shot and a great lateral pass in the slot. Come to think of it Beagle was a real pain the *** in the playoffs... no?

May 24th:

He's been generally responsible defensively in the Ottawa & Mem Cup games I've watched, except for a funny one where he got undressed playing role of LD to cover off (Durzi? Samorukov? Can't remember).

His backchecking ability I think has been a pleasant surprise, not that it'd make headlines or anything. A low key cause for celebration, he's an anti-Drouin.

...and like Kotka, point producing potential is multiplied when playing with talented linemates. They both happen to have a silky smooth saucer pass.

June 26th:

Suzuki might feel ticked off to see fans think he'll be a 3rd line RW in the AHL this year.

He came to impress at the NHL camp last year. Best bet he's geared up to impress even more this year.

June 27th:

Have you noticed Suzuki's backchecking ability? He slowly corners a guy and stick-checks it out to regain possession. I think he wants to make sure he shows well defensively to the coaches, first and foremost.

Aug 20th:

He's the one I'm most excited to see play in preseason games... Poehling is a half-known quantity at this point.

Nick's improved skating, combined with some preseason rosters giving him a bit too much time and space, could result in nasty goals and put pressure on the coaching staff to give him 9 games.

Sep 15th:

Forget Danault, Nick Suzuki is the guy Claude Julien will want to transform into Pat Bergeron.

I did. I stuck out my neck way out there and called Suzuki a future Kariya type while Poehling might become a Jay Beagle type. I think BaseballCoach is still mad to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad