Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehling got called up because he was crying about being sent down. Bergevin shouldn't have called him up, but that's a disgusting attitude and mentality for a pro athlete. I know what you mean though.

where did you hear this? I agree 100% he never should have been recalled, it weakens what Bouchard is doing, as what does it say to the prospects when a player gets benched for making a costly turnover behind his own net and then days later is in the NHL. How does he learn from his mistake if he's rewarded. But I f***ing hate the way MB handles prospects.

I did, but it's obvious that Ghetto and Hudon couldn't adapt to the NHL either. Could that be because they were left down for too long despite producing and developed bad habits? You cant have it both ways regarding prospects being rushed my friend.

You cant ignore those 2 because it kinda shows how producing in the AHL doesnt mean everything and I dont know how you can blame bad development for them.

For the record, I think our development has hurt pretty much every prospect. It is embarrassing how bad it is. Still doesnt excuse the lack of good players able to adapt in the NHL.

Ghetto I think they handled well, played a full year in the AHL at 20, spent most of his 2nd pro year in the AHL, got 12 games in the NHL. I'd have to think about how he was playing, i don't recall having any issues with how he was handled.

Hudon I wanted called up as he had one of the best seasons a 2o year old rookie has had for us although after a outstanding start he faded as the season went on as I think he wore down physically.

Now with him they did the same as Ghetto but this is when we didn't have a shit GM for development. Hudon played a full season at 20 then played almost a full season at 21 with 3 NHL games. If I recall what pissed me off was him not getting a shot in his 3rd pro season until later when he got 3 games. But in 6 NHL games he had 4 pts. The next year he had to clear waivers so they put him on the 3rd line with Leks and Pleks and he did really well when you consider Pleks was by then on the decline offensively. 30 pts in 72 games I have to admit I still struggle with trying to figure how he could do so well that year and look bad ever since. He's been a great AHLer but after that 1st full season I really thought he could at least be around there, boy was i wrong on that one.

There's no real way of knowing if those guys career trajectories would have been different had they spent more time in the AHL.

I mean even Beaulieu,Tinordi and Scherbak played well over 100 AHL games before getting an extended look in the NHL.

Hell Charles Hudon played over 200 games...that didn't do anything for his career.

The thing that drove me nuts with the call up of Beaulieu and Tinordi at 20, Scherbak at 21 was how they continued to repeat the same mistakes in the AHL yet got NHL games. To me a good coach should have been able to get them to at least somewhat improve there but I think calling them up also hurt their development.

Hudon was so much better in the AHL although Scherbak's 3rd pro season he was on pace to do something really special, not seen by any Hab prospect in as long as I have followed our AHL team. But Hudon certainly looked good in his first full season, 30 pts in 72 with Pleks and leks was very solid for a rookie imo. Not sure what happened after that though.

Reactions: Miller Time and 417

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I did, but it's obvious that Ghetto and Hudon couldn't adapt to the NHL either. Could that be because they were left down for too long despite producing and developed bad habits? You cant have it both ways regarding prospects being rushed my friend.

You cant ignore those 2 because it kinda shows how producing in the AHL doesnt mean everything and I dont know how you can blame bad development for them.

For the record, I think our development has hurt pretty much every prospect. It is embarrassing how bad it is. Still doesnt excuse the lack of good players able to adapt in the NHL.

Ghetto and Hudon never had significant talent, that's the different. Overall they were developed great and exceeded expectations.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Poehling got called up because he was crying about being sent down. Bergevin shouldn't have called him up, but that's a disgusting attitude and mentality for a pro athlete. I know what you mean though.

For instance, what did 17 games in the AHL do for Kucherov? Was that incredibly helpful for him? No, not really. Like I said with Keith, some players don't grow much if at all in the AHL. With Suzuki, he has improved in the NHL. And NHL growth>>>>>>>>AHL growth.
Two lies in one 12 word sentence.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Two lies in one 12 word sentence.
“I think my head just wasn’t completely in it,” the Lakeville, Minn., native admitted on Monday. “I was still a little upset about the decision that I got sent down, so I think it affected my game the first couple of weeks.

“It seems like the NHL’s more systematic than the AHL and the AHL’s a little different,” Poehling remarked. “I’m a systematic guy, so I think this league kind of suits me more so than the AHL.”

Granted the KK injury was obviously a factor, but yes Poehling pouted when sent down.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
“I think my head just wasn’t completely in it,” the Lakeville, Minn., native admitted on Monday. “I was still a little upset about the decision that I got sent down, so I think it affected my game the first couple of weeks.

“It seems like the NHL’s more systematic than the AHL and the AHL’s a little different,” Poehling remarked. “I’m a systematic guy, so I think this league kind of suits me more so than the AHL.”

Granted the KK injury was obviously a factor, but yes Poehling pouted when sent down.
Being upset is not the same thing as crying or pouting. It's completely natural to be upset when you don't get what you want. Poehling also said this:

"You’re going to get knocked down a few times. You see other guys with great careers, and it’s not like it was straight rainbows and stuff for them. It’s going to be a roller coaster throughout your career; you just have to stick with it."

Not exactly the words of someone that's crying or pouting.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Being upset is not the same thing as crying or pouting. It's completely natural to be upset when you don't get what you want. Poehling also said this:

"You’re going to get knocked down a few times. You see other guys with great careers, and it’s not like it was straight rainbows and stuff for them. It’s going to be a roller coaster throughout your career; you just have to stick with it."

If it makes you play like complete dog shit and forgetting how to play hockey, it sure as hell does. It's not completely natural to just not have anymore hockey IQ, not make any skilled plays as a 1st rounder who had 3 years of college experience while being WJC MVP, only chasing the play and most importantly having no second effort.

Of course I'm not writing him off, but he was most definitely pouting. You can tell by what he said and how he played.

Not to mention his supposed video game addiction and him not being in shape in the playins when he could have easily had the chance if he showed up ready.

Reactions: Surfer72

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I really hate when im reading bad developpement hudon, bad developpement ghetto, bad developpement by the management. Hey guys. It should be a reward foe these guys to play in the NHL. Its not because they are good in the AHL that we will be good in the NHL. There is a hell of big steps. There is so many bust all around the NHL. The reality is you will draft 10 players and maybe one will become a regular. So the excuse of the management is the main reason why are prospect are failing. I just don’t want to read it again. They are just not enough good to play in the nhl. Same when you are pee wee. If you are playing single A, its because you are not good enough to play on AA. Its the same at pro level. I agree. Players can improve. At the end. This is to the player to need to show it.

Reactions: Surfer72

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
FB_IMG_1600808312312.jpg
Rookie player for Montreal, he's going to be amazing

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Wow. I never seen the actual quote before. You could possibly construe that as pouting...maybe.

That's not bad at all. I was picturing way worse. Just sounded like he was being honest. Now I'm really curious to see the CJ quotes where he was apparently throwing KK under the bus lol.

Reactions: FormerLurker

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Wow. I never seen the actual quote before. You could possibly construe that as pouting...maybe.

That's not bad at all. I was picturing way worse. Just sounded like he was being honest. Now I'm really curious to see the CJ quotes where he was apparently throwing KK under the bus lol.
I believe these were the comments from Julien on Kotkanieni, late November 2019:

"His confidence is not where it should be because, obviously, we see a different player right now than we've seen in the past."

"You look at the winning goal," the coach said after the game. "We got a young player ... a young player who's only 19 (Kotkaniemi). He ices the puck, forces a play and he loses a draw clean and it ends up in the back of your net. Those are costly mistakes. Those guys have to learn, whether they're 19 or 30."

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I believe these were the comments from Julien on Kotkanieni, late November 2019:

"His confidence is not where it should be because, obviously, we see a different player right now than we've seen in the past."

"You look at the winning goal," the coach said after the game. "We got a young player ... a young player who's only 19 (Kotkaniemi). He ices the puck, forces a play and he loses a draw clean and it ends up in the back of your net. Those are costly mistakes. Those guys have to learn, whether they're 19 or 30."

Yeah I don't know. That just doesn't seem like that big a deal. I really think people really push their narratives in a lot of these comments that MB and CJ make. I'm guessing whatever KK said about CJ wasn't that bad either. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad