Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
His junior team will play him at center. I dunno if it's the right decision. With Kotkaniemi and Poehling, Habs have two good ones to fill the top-two center positions.
Lol.

1) There's never enough centermen prospects. I have no clue how any Habs fan can dispute that fact.

2) There's nothing about Poehling right now that suggests he's a bonafide future top 6 center

3) What exactly would be wrong in having a center line of Kotkaniemi/Suzuki/Poehling.. IF all 3 were to pan out.

4) All centers can play wing, the opposite is obviously not true.

Reactions: BaseballCoach

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I don't know if you guys remember but during his draft year Duchesne revealed his father was a French Canadian and that Matt was a hardcore Habs fan himself.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I don't know if you guys remember but during his draft year Duchesne revealed his father was a French Canadian and that Matt was a hardcore Habs fan himself.
Yes, but that's still no reason to give Suzuki up for him. He's a free agent next summer.

I'd rather trade 1st and a 2nd than a 1st pick we know is progressing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good to know and I won’t be mad if he stays there.

Do you remember someone from OS saying shortly after the Habs acquired Suzuki, how if the Habs would send him to OS, they'd play him at center?

I'm trying to find the exact quote but can't come up with it.

Anyone?

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Or, you give nothing and sign him next summer since he is a born and raised habs fan.

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Domi - Duchene - Gallagher
Tatar - Danault - Suzuki
Hudon - Peca - Armia

You trade Shaw, Byron and Scherbak for the best LHD you can find.

Draft a LHD with the 2019pick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The gm of the OS Attack said it on tsn radio

You are correct. I found a tweet confirming it:

So, what happened -- the Habs decided not to ask OS to play Suzuki at center?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here's what was reported by one source, after Suzuki was sent back to OS by the Habs earlier this week:

One of the main themes of Suzuki’s time in Montreal was his positional status. He’s listed as a centre more often than winger, and played down the middle of the ice with the Canadiens, but spent much of last season in Owen Sound on the wing.

“I don’t think Montreal is going to pressure them at all to play me at centre. I am comfortable playing wherever with anybody on this team. Whatever is going to help is what I am going to do,” he said.

The London native explained he and line mate Kevin Hancock play a hybrid style where the first guy back on defence often plays the centre position, and they both take face-offs.

Suzuki has “a lot to prove”

Now, that's just Suzuki's take on what he thought the Habs would do in respect of the role he'd assume in OS.

Reactions: Redux91

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Or, you give nothing and sign him next summer since he is a born and raised habs fan.

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Lehkonen
Domi - Duchene - Gallagher
Tatar - Danault - Suzuki
Hudon - Peca - Armia

You trade Shaw, Byron and Scherbak for the best LHD you can find.

Draft a LHD with the 2019pick.
I think Poehling will be ready next year, and I think Poehling and Domi would be great wingers for him

Drouin-J2K-Lehkonen
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher (I like this line)
Domi-Poehling-Suzuki
DLO-Hudon-Armia

Reilly-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Mete-Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Soooooo ... what does that mean, exactly?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
While I agree Duchene would be good and that we have enough pieces on paper to compete for playoff spot again soon if we get another piece or two I still don't think Duchene will come here.

Duchene requested a trade out of Colorado because he wanted to play playoff hockey.

He ends up in Ottawa which is in the basement now and traded it's star. He was even upset Smith was put on waivers.

He's went on record saying he understands tavares' motivations.

Now...he'll sign with the habs? Please...
Even though it is unlikely, Bergevin can pitch him the idea of competing with young talent. Ottawas future is further behind than ours, and the Avs wanted Duchene gone more than Duchene wanted to leave imo. Wouldn't be shocked if he wants to sign here. Another top end pick and pitching him that a Poehling, Suzuki, and more development from the super young forward core can help us could be enticing for him.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Soooooo ... what does that mean, exactly?

Here's hoping we get a youngish top 6 center so we don't even have to worry about it. I think he ends up being a winger. Habs should still be asking them to play him at center full time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here's hoping we get a youngish top 6 center so we don't even have to worry about it. I think he ends up being a winger.

If that's the case, then they should look to draft another center next summer. Poehling projects as a 3C. The 2C spot has no settled successor.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If that's the case, then they should look to draft another center next summer. Poehling projects as a 3C. The 2C spot has no settled successor.
I still think they need to stick with most valuable player available. I truly think our LHD is far worse than our center depth. Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Danault, Hillis, Olofsson is far better than Mete, Rielly, Romanov

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I won’t pass on an elite C in next years draft, but I like both Poehling and Danault more than most and think both will be very good middle 6 Cs for us as long as J2k can be that #1.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Even though it is unlikely, Bergevin can pitch him the idea of competing with young talent. Ottawas future is further behind than ours, and the Avs wanted Duchene gone more than Duchene wanted to leave imo. Wouldn't be shocked if he wants to sign here. Another top end pick and pitching him that a Poehling, Suzuki, and more development from the super young forward core can help us could be enticing for him.

It really depends. As enticing as having Kotkaniemi and other young vets like Gallagher, Drouin, Tatar, Byron, etc... to work with none are elite. Beyond that...the D situation isn't pretty. Weber has to come back looking like a stud and what we do by next July 1st is huge too(acquisitions, draft picks). it's too far fetched for me.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I still think they need to stick with most valuable player available. I truly think our LHD is far worse than our center depth. Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Danault, Hillis, Olofsson is far better than Mete, Rielly, Romanov
I agree about LD, though Mete and Reilly are off to a good start.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I won’t pass on an elite C in next years draft, but I like both Poehling and Danault more than most and think both will be very good middle 6 Cs for us as long as J2k can be that #1.
I agree. I know that we are center hungry because we haven't had one in forever. Kotkaniemi is a great add, he can be that #1 guy. If you look at every cup winning team, they have at least one very good center. However, they also have a very good defenseman unless they have two generational centers(Pens). Vegas went to the finals, and who was their number 2 center? Not a good player, but they had the defense and depth in order to be successful.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad