Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I get what you mean fundamentally, that small players can still be good. But I don't see that as being debatable, we know it's the case. We're not that far removed from Theo Fleury and Martin St Louis (even Paul Kariya, Doug Gilmour, Pavel Bure) tearing up harder leagues strickly physically speaking.

Suzuki just doesn't play like these guys. Marner doesn't have any skating issues and never had. He's so fast in his crossovers that the lack of forward stride speed isn't an issue.

The one thing you mentioned however is how Gallagher improved his speed (and strength) to the point he's now a top liner. That's a great point. Suzuki, with proper development training wise, can certainly improve significantly too.

But, even with that improved, I still want a bit more pace in his skating. As smart as he is, when the games go fast he gets overwhelmed. You need to be able to be smart, but think and act fast in the current NHL as well.

Yeah my point wasn't about small players only, it was about small and at the same time not so fast players. Most small players that are successful are either really fast or at least fast. Gallagher wasn't fast. When I watched Marner his rookie year he didn't seem fast to me at all.

But I agree, other than size and speed all three are very different players. But what Gallagher and Marner have in common is highly superior offensive abilities that allow them to over come their size and do so without break away speed. I'll have to watch Marner more to get a feel for his speed now. For all Gallagher's ability to now gather speed coming through the neutral zone, I still don't see him as a natural speedster on the level of Byron, Peca, or even Pacioretty.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Gallagher is a mini tank but no way is Marner stronger than suzuki. As well Suzuki is very much as good a skater as both those guys, in fact he’s probably ahead of where both were at the same age.

Marner isn’t a good comparison as he is a pass first player who has otherworldly vision, while Suzuki is much more of a goal scorer. I think Nylander is a good comp.

Have to disagree re: Marners skating. His edges and crossovers were superior, so was his foot speed.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Have to disagree re: Marners skating. His edges and crossovers were superior, so was his foot speed.
Even as a rookie? Superior?

I'm seeing more craftiness and offensive genius than breakaway speed. But whatever the case, Suzuki now isn't what he'll be next year or the year after. I really look forward to seeing his progress, especially how his skating progresses. I remember seeing how much Galchenyuk and Gallagher started to look faster a couple years into their careers.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He actually reminds me more of Mike Cammalleri than any of those guys.

Lethal shot, cerebral and has success by sneaking in. Not overly threatening off the rush.

I think he needs to work on his speed and compete level, but I see him as a 2nd liner worst case.

I saw the shot and the cerebral part being similar but he looked way more implicated in the play than Cammy and a better skater too. I haven't seen enough but I didn't necessarily get the Cammy impression.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Suzuki scored in the first. Nice start for him tonight. 2 more periods. Hopefully he scores another and or some assists.

Nick ties at 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Even as a rookie? Superior?

I'm seeing more craftiness and offensive genius than breakaway speed. But whatever the case, Suzuki now isn't what he'll be next year or the year after. I really look forward to seeing his progress, especially how his skating progresses. I remember seeing how much Galchenyuk and Gallagher started to look faster a couple years into their careers.

That video as a reference is some joke right ? Marner's a much better skater on there.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That video as a reference is some joke right ? Marner's a much better skater on there.
Yeah those are all the goals he scored and he just blazes away on them. Forget this stupid conversation.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yeah those are all the goals he scored and he just blazes away on them. Forget this stupid conversation.

Ugh yeah. He has like 3-4 breakaways in the first 2 mins of the video. It takes about 40 seconds for a play of him seperating himself from 2 defenders with his forward stride.

Like, all his goals during the first half of the video, save 2, were him seperating himself from the opposing teams in some way (along the boards or around the dots, by breaking away) with speed, usually with his crossovers. One of the 2 was a deflection and the other was insane edge work.

You'd have a better point if you cut out only the second part. But even then, he has way more power in his skating and the edgework isnt comparable.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Ugh yeah. He has like 3-4 breakaways in the first 2 mins of the video. It takes about 40 seconds for a play of him seperating himself from 2 defenders with his forward stride.

Like, all his goals during the first half of the video, save 2, were him seperating himself from the opposing teams in some way (along the boards or around the dots, by breaking away) with speed, usually with his crossovers. One of the 2 was a deflection and the other was insane edge work.

You'd have a better point if you cut out only the second part. But even then, he has way more power in his skating and the edgework isnt comparable.
Not impressive speed is what he meant.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not impressive speed is what he meant.

I know what he meant. Marners skating, emphasis on his edge work here, is a significant part of his game. He seperates himself from his cover constantly thanks to powerful crossovers (though also cutbacks, quick turns and the like).

Suzuki is far from that level. He needs quicker, more powerful feet and even work on his technique. He has trouble seperating from junior aged D and overrelies on stickhandling and deceptiveness at times, but not in a positive i.e. translatable way.

Reactions: 417

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I feel like I’m repeating myself, but Suzuki’s goal scoring is really underrated. Seems the perception is that he’s another small playmaker type, but he’s more likely a 30/30 guy than a 20/40 guy.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Lets not overreact on one single game.

His faceoff pourcentage was close to 50%.

In juniors, you got 0 point and one you can net 3-4 points.

He only had one shot on goal. Very low as per his usual average.

First game after being send down is always a challenge. Its now past him.

How do you feel tonight after being 100% right, Mr wizard? ;p

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't really care about his offensive production this year. He's an elite prospect in his 4th year of junior. He's going to dummy that league. He's one of those guys who's getting f***ed by the NHL-CHL agreement out of a little bit of money, and an appropriate level of development.

We should contract a team in Europe to circumvent that stupid rule.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Everyone was worried about 1 bad game and he turns around and scores 3 the next. No reason to be worried. Hes gonna be a very good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad