Prospect Info: Nick Suzuki Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Guys, hes 19. Not everyone is going to come out and dominate like Kotkaniemi.

We knew he was likely a season or 2 away from the NHL when we traded for him. Take one look at him, hes still a kid. He'll likely need some AHL seasoning to refine his game anyway. No big deal if hes 2 years away.

Reactions: Runner77

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
If there's a year to get another 1st this is pretty much it. With Tatar, Byron and a bunch of 2nds/3rds to help us move up, there's more than a few pieces for Bergevin to make something happen.
If bergevin have doned that in 2018 draft which he failed to do so, then I'm not too confident he would, if he does then I'm sure he will do an over payment for just 1 pick, as always he isn't the best GM to do trades.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reminds me a bit of Gallagher. Great skill despite his small size and lack of footspeed, he still goes full speed ahead. He won't be as physical as Gallagher, but may be as productive. I think Gallagher was just getting going last year - entering his prime and back 100% from injury.
Has a different shot than Gallagher. Also can play center. I see him as either a first line winger or second line center.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
when I saw him 2 years ago he was nothing like Gallagher, just a very smart and creative player who has high level offensive skills but needed to work on the physical tools, getting bigger, stronger, quicker. We'll see where his game is at in a year and go from there.

As for the trade, we'll see what he does, who we get in the 2nd round and what they do with Tatar. This is one of those trades that over years we'll be looking at since that 2nd round pick is likely a long ways away.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Guys, hes 19. Not everyone is going to come out and dominate like Kotkaniemi.

We knew he was likely a season or 2 away from the NHL when we traded for him. Take one look at him, hes still a kid. He'll likely need some AHL seasoning to refine his game anyway. No big deal if hes 2 years away.

we really got spoiled by Godka.

I wanted a bit more out of Suzuki but ultimately I saw really good potential from him. Skated faster than I thought. Showed smarts and didn't wow with hard work but worked hard enough.

I got the sense that he definitely won't bust. There doesn't seem to be anything deficient enough for that to happen so I feel really confident we at least got a middle 6 guy. The 2 questions for me are whether he's a C and if he can be a top line talent or not.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
we really got spoiled by Godka.

I wanted a bit more out of Suzuki but ultimately I saw really good potential from him. Skated faster than I thought. Showed smarts and didn't wow with hard work but worked hard enough.

I got the sense that he definitely won't bust. There doesn't seem to be anything deficient enough for that to happen so I feel really confident we at least got a middle 6 guy. The 2 questions for me are whether he's a C and if he can be a top line talent or not.
He won't bust. He's got elite hockey IQ already and that's something you can't teach or improve. He just needs to get bigger. As for his work ethic, I felt something was off for him. He's known for having a good motor

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
He won't bust. He's got elite hockey IQ already and that's something you can't teach or improve. He just needs to get bigger. As for his work ethic, I felt something was off for him. He's known for having a good motor
I think the main thing is he was being too modest. His demeanour appeared a bit passive. He was deferring a lot when he shouldve been taking charge. That's why I agree with giving him the year to straight dominate the OHL and the wjcs. Remind him that he is THE guy and needs to be proactive with all that talent and ability.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I think the main thing is he was being too modest. His demeanour appeared a bit passive. He was deferring a lot when he shouldve been taking charge. That's why I agree with giving him the year to straight dominate the OHL and the wjcs. Remind him that he is THE guy and needs to be proactive with all that talent and ability.
Yeah he seemed a bit timid which is odd for him. What was his inkury? Could it have affected him?

Regardless, I saw a lot of good things

Reactions: HankyZetts

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's known for having a good motor

in the 2 years I watched him he didn't have a good speed, it was one of the biggest issues he had imo but as I said I didn't watch him at all last year since McNiven wasn't on the team anymore. Had they of sent him back as an overager it would have worked out great as he would have gotten so much more playing time then the 3 goalie system Lefebevre used and I would have a more updated view on him. i was planning on watching last nights game but at 3 bucks a pop I think i'll wait till the next time he faces Hillis or McShane.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

I had the same perception, he seemed a bit indifferent about making the team or not.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
in the 2 years I watched him he didn't have a good speed, it was one of the biggest issues he had imo but as I said I didn't watch him at all last year since McNiven wasn't on the team anymore. Had they of sent him back as an overager it would have worked out great as he would have gotten so much more playing time then the 3 goalie system Lefebevre used and I would have a more updated view on him. i was planning on watching last nights game but at 3 bucks a pop I think i'll wait till the next time he faces Hillis or McShane.
I didn't mean .in terms of top speed but rather his overall work ethic. He usually plays with intensity and doesn't take a shift off.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't mean .in terms of top speed but rather his overall work ethic. He usually plays with intensity and doesn't take a shift off.

oh my bad. I don't recall any issues with work ethic. I'm excited to see what he does this year, although it's going to be very hard to top his numbers. Look at Marner, after putting up 126 pts, the next year he put up 116 although he was on pace for 129 if he played the same amount of games.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Marner and Gallagher are my comparables, in that they're all small, slow guys that are still unstoppable.

I don't see it. Both are players play with a lot of pace. Marner is more speed and Gallagher is more strength. Suzuki's more of a thinker, not near as good a skater as Marner, who has great edges, nor as strong as Gallagher.

I like his talent level, but knock on him has been taking too much of a passive approach to his game. He needs to play with more pace.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I don't see it. Both are players play with a lot of pace. Marner is more speed and Gallagher is more strength. Suzuki's more of a thinker, not near as good a skater as Marner, who has great edges, nor as strong as Gallagher.

I like his talent level, but knock on him has been taking too much of a passive approach to his game. He needs to play with more pace.

He actually reminds me more of Mike Cammalleri than any of those guys.

Lethal shot, cerebral and has success by sneaking in. Not overly threatening off the rush.

I think he needs to work on his speed and compete level, but I see him as a 2nd liner worst case.

Reactions: Andrei79

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He actually reminds me more of Mike Cammalleri than any of those guys.

Lethal shot, cerebral and has success by sneaking in. Not overly threatening off the rush.

I think he needs to work on his speed and compete level, but I see him as a 2nd liner worst case.

That's actually a very good comparison.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It's not a comparison on multi dimensions, just on players that are small and not fast, yet still, somehow, very dangerous offensively.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It's not a comparison on multi dimensions, just on players that are small and not fast, yet still, somehow, very dangerous offensively.

It's not really "somehow".

Marner is more skilled, a high end skater and plays with high pace.

Gallagher is all compete and one od the strongest players despite his height.

Both are faster and stronger than Suzuki.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Of course it's not "somehow." That's the whole point. Against all odds, i.e. with their superior abilities in other areas, they are very effective.

Gallagher was the same speed if not slower than Suzuki when he first came into the league. Gallagher has put on muscle that makes his legs powerful and increased his speed greatly.

It will be interesting to see if Suzuki can get faster and if he has high abilities that will allow him to be dangerous offensively even if he's small and not that fast.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Gallagher is a mini tank but no way is Marner stronger than suzuki. As well Suzuki is very much as good a skater as both those guys, in fact he’s probably ahead of where both were at the same age.

Marner isn’t a good comparison as he is a pass first player who has otherworldly vision, while Suzuki is much more of a goal scorer. I think Nylander is a good comp.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Of course it's not "somehow." That's the whole point. Against all odds, i.e. with their superior abilities in other areas, they are very effective.

Gallagher was the same speed if not slower than Suzuki when he first came into the league. Gallagher has put on muscle that makes his legs powerful and increased his speed greatly.

It will be interesting to see if Suzuki can get faster and if he has high abilities that will allow him to be dangerous offensively even if he's small and not that fast.

I get what you mean fundamentally, that small players can still be good. But I don't see that as being debatable, we know it's the case. We're not that far removed from Theo Fleury and Martin St Louis (even Paul Kariya, Doug Gilmour, Pavel Bure) tearing up harder leagues strickly physically speaking.

Suzuki just doesn't play like these guys. Marner doesn't have any skating issues and never had. He's so fast in his crossovers that the lack of forward stride speed isn't an issue.

The one thing you mentioned however is how Gallagher improved his speed (and strength) to the point he's now a top liner. That's a great point. Suzuki, with proper development training wise, can certainly improve significantly too.

But, even with that improved, I still want a bit more pace in his skating. As smart as he is, when the games go fast he gets overwhelmed. You need to be able to be smart, but think and act fast in the current NHL as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad