Nick Spaling Question

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
So when the trade with SJ went down, I wasn't thinking much about Spaling, wasn't even sure he would be playing, but this first game with us he looked really good. Looks like he could be a really nice boost to the bottom 6 if he keeps up the play he showed in that first game. However, it was one game, so I would just like some info on what you guys saw of him during his time in Toronto.

I see he wasn't shooting much, wasn't producing much. In general, was he noticeably bad? Just irrelevant on the ice? Solid but just couldn't finish?

I guess if someone can give me a run down of any strengths and/ or weaknesses that have been observed, so when watching him I can have a better idea of what to look at with this guy.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
So when the trade with SJ went down, I wasn't thinking much about Spaling, wasn't even sure he would be playing, but this first game with us he looked really good. Looks like he could be a really nice boost to the bottom 6 if he keeps up the play he showed in that first game. However, it was one game, so I would just like some info on what you guys saw of him during his time in Toronto.

I see he wasn't shooting much, wasn't producing much. In general, was he noticeably bad? Just irrelevant on the ice? Solid but just couldn't finish?

I guess if someone can give me a run down of any strengths and/ or weaknesses that have been observed, so when watching him I can have a better idea of what to look at with this guy.

He's a work-horse in general all over the ice.. Physical, decent along the boards and a solid PK'er. The value in his game is that he can be shifted to LW if need be, however, he looks more comfortable at center. Spailing is a high-energy player who embodies a work-hard mentality that can be infectious to the players around him.

The offensive isn't really there.. He's works well in a structured down-low cycle, and won't create much offense himself.

He's a depth player.

I don't believe he scores close to 30 points again in the NHL

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs are a team without top line scoring so more pressure is put on the rest of the forwards to score. He is a fine player and will be a nice depth player for the Sharks, but that is all he will be.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
He's got a long track record of being a solid 3rd line forward who can play all 3 forward positions. He's a safe player to have in the lineup.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Spaling initially was playing about 18 minutes/game for Babcock, playing a role of a shutdown defensive 3rd line centre. He was playing through an injury throughout November & even missed a little over a week after reagravating it. Then he played the first half of December before the injury forced him to shut it down for about 6 weeks & returned at the end of January.

Prior to & following the injury, Babcock spoke very well of Spaling. He is a coaches/team player. His biggest strength is playing the role the coach wants. Deboer knows his capabilities as he coached him in Kitchener in Junior to a Memorial Cup finals (lost). Don't expect many points or goals, look at them as a bonus, but when he played with Deboer in Junior he did produce decent points.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Had injury issues and snake bitten this season offensively (most of the team has been).

Historically he's been good for 20-30ish points.

Not surprised he's doing better for you in San Jose, if you can keep him in a bottom 6 role, you'll be happy with what he gives you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad