Nick Shore - A more effective 4C Option than Lehtera

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Took away the option of Vandevelde, Filppula, & Manning. They butted heads over Sanheim during the middle of the season (from what I’ve heard). Regardless of signing Shore or not, I think it’s realistic that Lehtera gets the Matt Read AHL treatment this year.

Where did you hear they butted heads over Sanheim, other than speculation on this board? Which is worth nada.

Lethera played 10 minutes a night last year, so did Read, Weise, and Leier .
The only players who played significant minutes were Filppula (who signed for $2.75M) and Manning (2yr, $2.25M for Chicago after Nashville tried to sign him to a 3 year deal, which tells you Lavi liked him).

Laughton played 11 minutes, Weal, Raffl about 13.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Yes, of course. Allow me to summarize from the HFBoards Flyers Scriptures:

That weird character, who looks like a homeless sexual deviant farmer, you see in the above gifs is "Torgo." We gifted Jori Lehtera with the moniker, "Torgo" (or "Lehtorgo"), this season after the same character from the schlocky 60s horror film, Manos: The Hands of Fate, which was given a wider audience in a classic episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. One could say the movie's place among critics is akin to Lehtera's place among NHL players in xGF%. Torgo is a satyr-like creep who, as he is fond of saying, "takes care of the place while The Master is away." Our Lehtorgo has been known to "take care of the PK and 4C while the Laughton is away." It came about when one intelligent poster noted that Jori's skating form was similar to Torgo's gimpy shuffle.

At this point I cannot tell you anymore, Ted. I must show you.

Hahaha! This is great!!

TB87

May 30, 2018
Where did you hear they butted heads over Sanheim, other than speculation on this board? Which is worth nada.

Lethera played 10 minutes a night last year, so did Read, Weise, and Leier .
The only players who played significant minutes were Filppula (who signed for $2.75M) and Manning (2yr, $2.25M for Chicago after Nashville tried to sign him to a 3 year deal, which tells you Lavi liked him).

Laughton played 11 minutes, Weal, Raffl about 13.

Not gonna put a source on blast on here.

TB87

May 30, 2018
540702C5-6530-4AC1-96A7-B6C7F86E0857.jpeg
5CD0D329-84BD-4430-8D6F-55B463B124F5.jpeg
7A275221-A06A-4428-9E07-F28451089674.jpeg

Big flaw in your article here, Ted. I see you used logic and rational arguments. That's not going to fly in either Hak or deadhead's world. Torgo could lose a step over the summer and Hak would find a way to fit him in the lineup and deadhead would attempt to make up some bull**** to justify it.

There are some Flyers fans who will fight tooth and nail for Hakstol’s honor. Even though, the team is shooting from further and further out every year under his watch, have scored some of the fewest goals in the first period, and have played the most OT games since the 15-16 season. If this trend continues, next year they’ll shoot the majority of their shots from the neutral zone.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Shore is in fact a perfect fit for Hakstok style 4th line. Shore is very good defensively and inept offensively. He is exactly the type of player Hal saw in belly and coaches every single 4th liner to play like.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Took away the option of Vandevelde, Filppula, & Manning. They butted heads over Sanheim during the middle of the season (from what I’ve heard). Regardless of signing Shore or not, I think it’s realistic that Lehtera gets the Matt Read AHL treatment this year.

Letting a contract to expire isn't the same thing as sending a veteran player to the AHL. Especially a player who has "the coach's trust". Read and MacDonald would be better examples but in both cases, Hakstol wasn't giving ice time to either of these players (Hakstol-MacDonald Affair began after Amac was promoted again if I remember correctly). Lehterä has to play bad to get sent down but if he keeps playing "the system", Hakstol will want him in the lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom 6 centers would end up being Shore-Lehterä. I hope not but it's Haktol lol

TB87

May 30, 2018
Letting a contract to expire isn't the same thing as sending a veteran player to the AHL. Especially a player who has "the coach's trust". Read and MacDonald would be better examples but in both cases, Hakstol wasn't giving ice time to either of these players (Hakstol-MacDonald Affair began after Amac was promoted again if I remember correctly). Lehterä has to play bad to get sent down but if he keeps playing "the system", Hakstol will want him in the lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom 6 centers would end up being Shore-Lehterä. I hope not but it's Haktol lol

Lehtera’s contract is more cumbersome than Read’s was. It’s a very similar scenario actually. Read could still skate too.

Having the coach’s trust after playing 8-9 solid games in a season is more an indictment of the coach than the player. Even though, the player is really bad (which is absolutely true in Lehtera’s case).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Read couldn't skate, he was horrible last year other than the PK.
0.34 pp/60, xGF 47.25, xGFrel -5.8
Weise was bad as well.
Leier faded in the second half, and was a marshmallow on a soft team.

I don't think Hakstol "loves" Lehtera, 10 minutes a night is bottom of the lineup minutes.
Rather, he was just trying to find 2 guys out of 4 "losers" to play each night.

Lindblom, Simmonds, Raffl, Laughton have guaranteed spots, that leaves two spots on the active roster for Weal, Frost, Vorobyev, MV, Bardreau, NAK, Leier, Knight, Lehtera and Weise.

If Lehtera plays this year, it'll be because Hextall doesn't think Frost and Vorobyev are ready, and MV, Bardreau and NAK don't step up and take jobs - and if you can't beat out Lehtera, your NHL future is questionable.

I think the reason Ron isn't interested in Shore is that he has a similar player in Knight.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Yes, of course. Allow me to summarize from the HFBoards Flyers Scriptures:

That weird character, who looks like a homeless sexual deviant farmer, you see in the above gifs is "Torgo." We gifted Jori Lehtera with the moniker, "Torgo" (or "Lehtorgo"), this season after the same character from the schlocky 60s horror film, Manos: The Hands of Fate, which was given a wider audience in a classic episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000. One could say the movie's place among critics is akin to Lehtera's place among NHL players in xGF%. Torgo is a satyr-like creep who, as he is fond of saying, "takes care of the place while The Master is away." Our Lehtorgo has been known to "take care of the PK and 4C while the Laughton is away." It came about when one intelligent poster noted that Jori's skating form was similar to Torgo's gimpy shuffle.

At this point I cannot tell you anymore, Ted. I must show you.

........that’s a summary right there.....

TB87

May 30, 2018
Read couldn't skate, he was horrible last year other than the PK.
0.34 pp/60, xGF 47.25, xGFrel -5.8
Weise was bad as well.
Leier faded in the second half, and was a marshmallow on a soft team.

I don't think Hakstol "loves" Lehtera, 10 minutes a night is bottom of the lineup minutes.
Rather, he was just trying to find 2 guys out of 4 "losers" to play each night.

Lindblom, Simmonds, Raffl, Laughton have guaranteed spots, that leaves two spots on the active roster for Weal, Frost, Vorobyev, MV, Bardreau, NAK, Leier, Knight, Lehtera and Weise.

If Lehtera plays this year, it'll be because Hextall doesn't think Frost and Vorobyev are ready, and MV, Bardreau and NAK don't step up and take jobs - and if you can't beat out Lehtera, your NHL future is questionable.

I think the reason Ron isn't interested in Shore is that he has a similar player in Knight.

There's absolutely a certain amount of love from the Coach if you're a 4th liner who gets used to close out close games for the last few months of the regular season.

Vecchione (currently), Bardreau and Knight aren't NHL caliber players. Shore at least was over a PPG player in the AHL for half a season before getting called up to the NHL. Knight & Bardreau don't have that track record. It'd be great if they sign Shore. If they don't, thats okay too. As long as Lehtorgo and Weise get very limited playing time, the team will be better off.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
Lehtera’s contract is more cumbersome than Read’s was. It’s a very similar scenario actually. Read could still skate too.

Having the coach’s trust after playing 8-9 solid games in a season is more an indictment of the coach than the player. Even though, the player is really bad (which is absolutely true in Lehtera’s case).

I hope you are right.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
View attachment 131849 View attachment 131847 View attachment 131845
There are some Flyers fans who will fight tooth and nail for Hakstol’s honor. Even though, the team is shooting from further and further out every year under his watch, have scored some of the fewest goals in the first period, and have played the most OT games since the 15-16 season. If this trend continues, next year they’ll shoot the majority of their shots from the neutral zone.

You assume it's the coach, name the forwards who spent time between the faceoff circles last year?
Simmonds, Patrick at times, Couts and ???

TB87

May 30, 2018
You assume it's the coach, name the forwards who spent time between the faceoff circles last year?
Simmonds, Patrick at times, Couts and ???

The coach definitely has at least 50% culpability here. The team utilized low-to-high an awful lot. I’d prefer Hakstol tweak his offensive system a bit to include more behind the net plays to make goalies and defenseman turn their heads. That’d open up passing & shooting lanes, help further sustain offensive zone pressure, help the cycle game, etc. Far too often it’s bombs away from the point into a forward or defenseman’s shin pads and brought back the other way for an odd man rush. More variety to the attack would be keep the opposition on their toes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers don't have anyone who can play behind the net until Vorobyev comes up, you see anyone successfully make that pass last year?
Notice the Flyers are above average shooting in front of the crease, i.e., even with only a few players able and willing to go there they're getting rebounds.

What they lack are the snipers who shoot from 10-20", that is, the guys who know how to get open and have a quick release and an accurate wrist shot.
So who qualified for that description last season?

PS: Didn't they just add one of those guys? Maybe Ron knows this is a weakness, might explain why he drafted Allison, Ratcliffe, Strome, Bunnaman, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad