Nick Schultz

CardMonkey83*

So we all know JUSTIN shultz is beast. Well, on the powerplay at least, he is Boss, but 5-5 defensively still has ALOT of learning to do.

Anyway, the unsung hero of our D-core so far this season, Nick Shultz, or as
Minnesota players refer to him, 'The Hammer'. Smart defensive plays, regularly laying the body on folks, has an excellent poke check and back check, and most importantly, is the perfect teacher for Shultz Jr.

In saying that I think the number 1 D-pairing should be Nick and Ladi, that's the great wall of Oil right durr. Justin and Petry would make a nice pairing, both have similar styles and I think would make for a very exciting pairing.

Do you guys still think that Nick was a great trade for Gilbert?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Pretty even trade IMO. Familiarity breeds contempt in Edmonton, and fans (myself included) were a little tired of Gilbert's faults. Being a 1D in Edmonton is also a thankless task. I think the trade was a lateral move, afforded by Petry's apparent accension. I'd say it was a slight step back in order to take an overall step forward with the entire make-up of the d corps.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I think we're going to see Tom Gilbert exposed bigtime if Minny makes the playoffs this year. The guy folded like a cheap tent every time there was a key moment or big game during his time here. We can argue who's a better player and a better fit here but there's no doubt who has better leadership and there's no question who I'd rather have on my side come playoff time (once we get there).

BadMedicine*

So we all know JUSTIN shultz is beast. Well, on the powerplay at least, he is Boss, but 5-5 defensively still has ALOT of learning to do.

Anyway, the unsung hero of our D-core so far this season, Nick Shultz, or as
Minnesota players refer to him, 'The Hammer'. Smart defensive plays, regularly laying the body on folks, has an excellent poke check and back check, and most importantly, is the perfect teacher for Shultz Jr.

In saying that I think the number 1 D-pairing should be Nick and Ladi, that's the great wall of Oil right durr. Justin and Petry would make a nice pairing, both have similar styles and I think would make for a very exciting pairing.

Do you guys still think that Nick was a great trade for Gilbert?

Very good idea but I wouldnt seperate our top pairing, J.Schultz needs to keep shooting the puck he has been handcuffed by system execution and is allowing the puck to be distributed as per the system, this is the WRONG way to use his skillset, he needs to have the greenlight for 60 mins to shoot whenever he wants, he needs an executive pass to decide how to use o-zone possesions if he happens to have the puck, every other d-man needs to follow system protocal but not J.Schultz, like Nuge and Gags he needs his creativity to be a core value of his game or we lose to much systemwise.

I liked Gilbert so the trade is a saw off.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe don't make a thread when you won't take time to spell last names properly.

Love

Someone with the last name Schulte

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Schultz is a terrific defenseman, but we still gave up the better player IMO. That said, do we really need another thread on the Gilbert/Schultz trade?

We gave up the better offensive player, but at this stage in the team's development I'd much rather take the defensive guy who doesn't curl up in the fetal position every time he gets roughed up.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
We gave up the better offensive player, but at this stage in the team's development I'd much rather take the defensive guy who doesn't curl up in the fetal position every time he gets roughed up.

Gilbert is more than just an offensive guy. In fact, I wouldn't really call him an offensive defenseman in the first place. He's definitely not as one-dimensional as people around here like to suggest, and I honestly don't think Schultz is any more physical either.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Gilbert is more than just an offensive guy. In fact, I wouldn't really call him an offensive defenseman in the first place. He's definitely not as one-dimensional as people around here like to suggest, and I honestly don't think Schultz is any more physical either.

I'd say he is a little more physical, but rough play doesn't really affect him like it did Gilbert and he's always in position. I personally make that trade 10/10 times.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
I'd almost say Gilbert was more physical but Schultz is a better defender. I still feel we lost trade and should have had a pick included

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad