Proposal: Nick Schmaltz for a Defenseman

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’d do that deal as the Avs. We really need a 2C. And he’d be that for the next three playoff runs. Could also use a solid backup G. RyJo is such a bad fit for our roster as well. His skating limitations won’t be as problematic playing cycle hockey with Crouse.
Ryjo would cost you a 2nd to 1st to dump. Avs would need to add if Ryjo is in the deal. You don't just get to dump a capdump for free...

The shine on Byram has been tarnished. Other than one good game last night, he has been rather disappointing the last 2 x years. Avs should trade him quickly this TDL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ok, so appealing trades offered so far where clauses don’t seem likely to interfere too much…

1. Schmaltz for Byram and RyJo (Dump)
2. Schmaltz for Xhekaj and Price (Dump)
3. Schmaltz and 2nd for Lindgren

What else?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ok, so appealing trades offered so far where clauses don’t seem likely to interfere too much…

What else?
Still time crushed into w'e at earliest
short feedback on bold
Rs can consider variation of Lindy
or
Lindy + 1 of Jones/Gust for picks instead of NSchm who can be flipped by AZ separately

does that extra flexibility lead to improved options for you?

til w'e

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avs pull Byram from this thread.

Byram has 2Gs and 2As in the last two games. Anyone can have a few good games, but what's interesting about Byram's spike in production is his recent deployment. The Avs have saddled poor Byram with the brutal Ryan Johansen all season. Byram is, by far, RyJo's top deployment teammate in terms of TOI. When RyJo takes a draw, Byram is pretty much always on the ice.

But the Avs demoted RyJo to the bottom line two games ago, and Byram escaped this plug of a scrub teammate and now Byram is enjoying far greater productivity playing with ANYONE else besides RyJo.

Will be interesting to see if this holds up assuming Bednar doesn't go back to saddling Byram with the worst 2C in the NHL.

Avs are going to have to buy RyJo out this summer. At least it's only 1 year of contract term to spread over two seasons at 66% of $4MM so just $1.32MM of dead cap space affecting two different seasons.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

What else?
Any interest in changing that 2nd to Jack McBain?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Avs pull Byram from this thread.

Byram has 2Gs and 2As in the last two games. Anyone can have a few good games, but what's interesting about Byram's spike in production is his recent deployment. The Avs have saddled poor Byram with the brutal Ryan Johansen all season. Byram is, by far, RyJo's top deployment teammate in terms of TOI. When RyJo takes a draw, Byram is pretty much always on the ice.

But the Avs demoted RyJo to the bottom line two games ago, and Byram escaped this plug of a scrub teammate and now Byram is enjoying far greater productivity playing with ANYONE else besides RyJo.

Will be interesting to see if this holds up assuming Bednar doesn't go back to saddling Byram with the worst 2C in the NHL.

Avs are going to have to buy RyJo out this summer. At least it's only 1 year of contract term to spread over two seasons at 66% of $4MM so just $1.32MM of dead cap space affecting two different seasons.

A buyout is unlikely.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A buyout is unlikely.
Why? It’s not particularly expensive. $1.32mm of dead cap space over 2 years to free up $2.7mm in cap space next year.

RyJo is a low event buyout. The idea the Avs won’t consider it seems fishy to me vs paying assets to dump him.

I think you’d agree the likelihood Avs have RyJo on their roster next season is also unlikely.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Why? It’s not particularly expensive. $1.32mm of dead cap space over 2 years to free up $2.7mm in cap space next year.

RyJo is a low event buyout. The idea the Avs won’t consider it seems fishy to me vs paying assets to dump him.

I think you’d agree the likelihood Avs have RyJo on their roster next season is also unlikely.

The cap space is more valuable than a 2nd round pick.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like the real trick to this is figuring out is...Schmaltz a Winger or a Center? Because he seems like much more of a speedy playmaking winger to me. He's Barzal-lite...in every way. Which probably drops him below the threshold of being a real good Top-6C on any sort of truly contending team. Barring maybe Colorado, just because.

And if you take that element out of the equation...you just rarely see Wingers successfully swapped for a big Defence upgrade. They're just lower on the "premium" totem pole. It's back to the "Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson" type deal. Even if in the end, Larsson really was the better player and the one everyone is desperate for.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who said anything about that?

Re-read the OP.

I thought that was pretty well implied.

If you're just "best offer wins" on a crappy defenceman that isn't even an upgrade...then i guess go ahead with that. Giving Schmaltz away for a defenceman who isn't even an upgrade to the team.

But that seems like a mind-numbingly stupid thing to do.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I thought that was pretty well implied.

If you're just "best offer wins" on a crappy defenceman that isn't even an upgrade...then i guess go ahead with that. Giving Schmaltz away for a defenceman who isn't even an upgrade to the team.

But that seems like a mind-numbingly stupid thing to do.
No, it’s fine. Arizona need a defenseman badly. I’d trade Schmaltz for pretty much anyone under 30 that’s clearly no worse than 3rd on the Yotes depth chart. Doesn’t have to be as good as Moser or Durzi. But has to be a clear step up from Stecher, Dumba, Valimaki, and Kesselring.

It should be pretty easy to make that happen. And if it did happen, I’d be pretty happy.

On a league average blueline, Durzi and Moser are basically 3rd and 4th. So, it’s really not a huge ask.

Reactions: bernmeister

Brent Burns Beard