Confirmed with Link: Nick Schmaltz extended at $5.85M AAV/7 years

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wouldn't go more than 5 years with Galchenyuk. I like Galchenyuk but I'm not sure he's a core player yet. He certainly can't be our best forward if we expect to make playoffs. He's a great piece but not a top piece.
That's funny. You loved the 7 yr. Schmaltz deal, who has by the way, proven less than Strome at the moment. Schmaltz is soft like butter and at this time we really don't know what we have in him. Chucky is proven, our best forward last year, forechecks, works the board, goes to the net etc. Not saying he is untouchable and I hope we can find someone who is better than him for our forward group, but until then, he is our best forward and has to be a core piece. I hate long contracts so I would be happy with 5 yrs.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wouldn't go more than 5 years with Galchenyuk. I like Galchenyuk but I'm not sure he's a core player yet. He certainly can't be our best forward if we expect to make playoffs. He's a great piece but not a top piece.
I don't think any our forwards are top pieces sadly. Maybe Keller, but he needs to really step it up next year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like him as much as Schmaltz I guess. :dunno:

I’d give him the same deal if he’d take it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's funny. You loved the 7 yr. Schmaltz deal, who has by the way, proven less than Strome at the moment. Schmaltz is soft like butter and at this time we really don't know what we have in him. Chucky is proven, our best forward last year, forechecks, works the board, goes to the net etc. Not saying he is untouchable and I hope we can find someone who is better than him for our forward group, but until then, he is our best forward and has to be a core piece. I hate long contracts so I would be happy with 5 yrs.
I do love Schmaltz's deal. I think there's more upside in his game than Galchenyuk. I should be more comfortable with Galchenyuk 's deal. I admit that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I do love Schmaltz's deal. I think there's more upside in his game than Galchenyuk. I should be more comfortable with Galchenyuk 's deal. I admit that.
Completely different players in my view. I don't think RT did a very good job of bringing out the best of Chucky, or maybe he knew that Chucky can drive his line because he played with almost every forward and that line had success. I think Schmaltz is a fine player, but we need more forwards like Chucky, someone with a bit of bite in their game.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Completely different players in my view. I don't think RT did a very good job of bringing out the best of Chucky, or maybe he knew that Chucky can drive his line because he played with almost every forward and that line had success. I think Schmaltz is a fine player, but we need more forwards like Chucky, someone with a bit of bite in their game.
I'm under appreciating Galchenyuk. I accept that criticism.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I hope we wait on signing Galchenyuk, even if it costs us a little more. Still too many question marks there I think.

Caveat: Unless he is willing to sign a far below market deal right now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope we wait on signing Galchenyuk, even if it costs us a little more. Still too many question marks there I think.

Caveat: Unless he is willing to sign a far below market deal right now.
No sure what question marks you are talking about. He is what he is. He is a proven player. Either you like him as he is or you don't. Speaking of question marks, Chayka had no problem signing DVO, Schmaltz and Chychrun who were hurt at the time and have a thousand more question marks than Chucky. I still think Chayka made the right decision by signing those three though.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
No sure what question marks you are talking about. He is what he is. He is a proven player. Either you like him as he is or you don't. Speaking of question marks, Chayka had no problem signing DVO, Schmaltz and Chychrun who were hurt at the time and have a thousand more question marks than Chucky. I still think Chayka made the right decision by signing those three though.
All 3 have potential but all 3 are unproven versus the money/term they received in my opinion. This might be Chaykas strategy, sign them early and longer for less than they would get if they work out. It cuts both way though, they won't all 3 work out. What worries me is Chayka might think he is smarter than everyone else with this strategy. i would wait and pay more for a known quantity. Look at the years Domi/Strome/keller/Chych/Fischer had, none as really predicted. Term and money should go to more predictable outcomes.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Is Galchenyuk a 50 point player or a 70 point player?

He is also older than Dvo, Schmaltz, Chychrun, so the runway is running out on what Galchenyuk can become.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
All 3 have potential but all 3 are unproven versus the money/term they received in my opinion. This might be Chaykas strategy, sign them early and longer for less than they would get if they work out. It cuts both way though, they won't all 3 work out. What worries me is Chayka might think he is smarter than everyone else with this strategy. i would wait and pay more for a known quantity. Look at the years Domi/Strome/keller/Chych/Fischer had, none as really predicted. Term and money should go to more predictable outcomes.
How many years before the $2-$3 million 3rd liner is now the $4-$5 million 3rd liner? And will AZ be paying 2nd liners at 3rd line salary levels? That's the gamble.

Here's me being an asshole. How much does the cap go up if team moves to a different market with a much higher opportunity to spend to cap ceiling?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is Galchenyuk a 50 point player or a 70 point player?

He is also older than Dvo, Schmaltz, Chychrun, so the runway is running out on what Galchenyuk can become.
Chucky has played in the league seven years. He is a 50-60 pt. winger, sometimes C. Mostly a second line winger, but maybe a first liner with the right C. Does much of the dirty work with success. Can pass, has a great shot, and so so defensively. Chucky is only 25. That's Chucky in a nutshell. No mystery for me here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How many years before the $2-$3 million 3rd liner is now the $4-$5 million 3rd liner? And will AZ be paying 2nd liners at 3rd line salary levels? That's the gamble.

Here's me being an *******. How much does the cap go up if team moves to a different market with a much higher opportunity to spend to cap ceiling?
The team won't move.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that if we put the money for a 30s something free agent wing into the scouting staff, we can find ourselves that jewel out of the KHL or college.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think Galchenyuk is the toughest one to figure out. I suspect he'd perform better at even strength if we had stronger offensive centers.

His worst month was down the stretch, not early when he came off injury where he was actually quite productive. That's kinda weird. People often pointed out in the GDTs he was getting third tier linemates at best though. But was that partially his fault too? Probably.

He just doesn't have a natural player to pair with on this team. Maybe whoever we bring in should be aimed at that. Examine at who he worked best with in Montreal and try to find a fit that's similar with who is available.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think you can bank on 40-50 points, and I think he'll always be a threat to score 60+ if he gets hot. Very impressed with how hard he works. Thought he'd be in the frequent passenger club. Still makes the occasional mind-numbing decision and isn't consistently good on D. I can see why coaches get frustrated. I think overall he deserved better than he got this season in terms of icetime and linemates, though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you can bank on 40-50 points, and I think he'll always be a threat to score 60+ if he gets hot. Very impressed with how hard he works. Thought he'd be in the frequent passenger club. Still makes the occasional mind-numbing decision and isn't consistently good on D. I can see why coaches get frustrated. I think overall he deserved better than he got this season in terms of icetime and linemates, though.
Totally agree. RT abused him to no end, and he still produced. I wish he could play C. He is a solid second line player though. I just have this gut feeling that RT does not like him based on the TOI he got.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I think that you are ignoring the idea that none of these contracts are likely to be a noose around the neck that is the Coyotes salary. 6 years ago, David Clarkson was signed to a deal that had an AAV of about $5.2 M over 7 years.

Even in a worst-case scenario for production, I doubt that we find ourselves in a situation where any of these 3 would require multiple additional picks in addition to the player to get his salary away from the Coyotes. We may be forced to eat some salary, but let's say that Dvorak is a poor man's Paul Gaustad in 3 years. We could easily eat 25% of Dvorak's contract and get back a 2nd round pick, minimum. Same goes for Chychrun. The overall value of Schmaltz's contract may make it a little more difficult for him, but in the limited time that he spent with us, he was as good or better than what I was expecting.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->