Confirmed with Link: Nick Schmaltz extended at $5.85M AAV/7 years

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The range of possibilities is huge on this one, I don't think I'll be surprised by any dollar or term that they announce. I'd bet on Dvo money for 2-3 years though, not that I'd like that deal for the Coyotes.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I think the big win, is the extension is up when Schmaltz hits 30.

If he can produce a little bit better than he does on average, this deal will look mighty well in the years to come.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I think it's an overpayment, personally. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong in the long run.
Salaries have gone up so much that 5.5-6M is pretty much second liner money now. IMO if he's healthy he's going to put up huge numbers next year. His skills on the PP alone would have been enough to push this team into a playoff spot this year.
In a year or two when first line wingers start getting 8M+. This contract is in the range of guys like Saad, Granlund, and Forsberg. Schmaltz is a guy who I can see matching their production.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Seems like decent value. Hard to really say too much either way since we only saw him play for like two weeks.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Chayka better be right about these guys. Long term deals at teeny tiny sample sizes. If he’s wrong, we are mega ****ed for like basically forever.
That's my thoughts? Have we won a deal on potential?

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Was expecting 6x6.

Good to know Barroway can pull off deals of this magnitude.

Big question now is do we sign Keller on July 1 or let it go through next season.

Reactions: hbk

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

This is going to be a steal.

About a mil and a half too high. Not sure about it being a steal.

Chayka better be right about these guys. Long term deals at teeny tiny sample sizes. If he’s wrong, we are mega ****ed for like basically forever.

Agreed. Putting a lot of weight on the ship with both Dvorak, Chychrun and now Schmaltz

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Chayka is nothing if not confident in his evaluations. He reportedly tried to trade for Schmaltz for over a year. Finally lands him (over paid ) and now, despite the player in rehab, signs him to a 7 year deal.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So BIG question - is Schmaltz a C or a RW?

Just searched and found this article . Talks about his years playing with William Nylander and Christian Dvorak!

Cue the rumours that Chayka is going to land Nylander this summer :D.

Dvorak - Schmaltz - Nylander
Galchenyuk - Hayton (or UFA) - Keller
Crouse - Stepan - Hinostroza
Grabner - Richardson - Fischer / Cousins / Garland

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't think this is paying for potential. I think it's his value based on what he's already proven. He does have potential to take another step and that's why this is a great contract.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't think this is paying for potential. I think it's his value based on what he's already proven. He does have potential to take another step and that's why this is a great contract.
105 total NHL points with a one year best of 52 is worth 7 times $5.85? I don't see that??

Reactions: ck26 and _Del_

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Looking at Capfriendly, do we have the Cap Space and real money to actually improve this roster going forward?

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->