Confirmed with Link: Nick Robertson wins OHL’s William Hanley Trophy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It remains to be seen at the NHL level but Robertson was scoring goals very similar to how matthews was this season in the OHL. If he ends up being a better shooter than Matthews atleast off the one time I would not be insanely shocked. Nylander does not have a comparable shot too these two. He has great power ut is not a sniper and lacks a one time and accuracy. I havent been as hyped for a prospect since pre NHL nylander who people here and on TV were touting as the best prospect in the world for a short time period.
Nylander was never touted as the best prospect in the world. Maybe best-drafted prospect after a couple of people lost eligibility, but Matthews was always going to be more valued during the 2015-16 season, he just wasn't drafted.

As for Robertson/Matthews shot. Matthews can deceive angles and his release point with quickness, power and accuracy in a way Robertson can't and is highly unlikely to ever do. Nick Robertson has better odds of being a consistent 90 point player than he does of having a better shot than Matthews. Matthews is in the top 1% if not higher when it comes to his shot. Tons of guys can score goals like Matthews at the OHL level. Marner could consistently beat goalies from distance down there which is why he had consecutive 40 goal seasons. Robertson has a better shot than Marner at the same age. But, we are comparing him to a guy who walked into the NHL and had a top 5 wrister in the game, which has only been improved upon.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Nylander was never touted as the best prospect in the world. Maybe best-drafted prospect after a couple of people lost eligibility, but Matthews was always going to be more valued during the 2015-16 season, he just wasn't drafted.

As for Robertson/Matthews shot. Matthews can deceive angles and his release point with quickness, power and accuracy in a way Robertson can't and is highly unlikely to ever do. Nick Robertson has better odds of being a consistent 90 point player than he does of having a better shot than Matthews. Matthews is in the top 1% if not higher when it comes to his shot. Tons of guys can score goals like Matthews at the OHL level. Marner could consistently beat goalies from distance down there which is why he had consecutive 40 goal seasons. Robertson has a better shot than Marner at the same age. But, we are comparing him to a guy who walked into the NHL and had a top 5 wrister in the game, which has only been improved upon.

Ya best drafted prospect for a while in 2015-2016 is what people were saying about nylander. That's fair gonna be really hard to beat matthews who is like you said a top 5 shooter. Hoping Robertson can translate his shot over to the NHL and be a 40 goal scorer at the NHL level.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Wondering about the kind of impact this kid could have. What should we realistically expect? I was thinking he sort of reminds me of Mike Hoffman with that lethal shot

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Wondering about the kind of impact this kid could have. What should we realistically expect? I was thinking he sort of reminds me of Mike Hoffman with that lethal shot
I am hoping he is good enough and plays. We are in another level of offense if that is the case. Pure shooter and thats fine for now. Maybe his complete game puts us over the top in a couple years. He is getting the opportunity to take a left wing job. Its up to him. Top six or bottom six he is a scorer with that shot, its a laser.

Reactions: supermann_98

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Quick, quick, trade this young Yankee prospect for Patrick O'Thuggo and Dave Pylon! Just imagine Pylon in a Leafs jersey! That Norris trophy he won 15 years ago, and those cups 14 and 15 years ago?! Remember how good Pylon was before all those knee surgeries?? Time for Dubas to get O'Thuggo and Pylon, and if it costs you some analytics whiz kid, so be it!

Are you ok?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I don't remember about best "prospect" specifically, but I do remember him being considered the best player not in the NHL, at one point.

Reactions: kb

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Sorry, but if this were true, we'd see tons of guys doing it. I'm not comparing Robertson to Matthews, but to suggest that Robertson slots with tons of guys is a disservice to Robertson.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Sorry, but if this were true, we'd see tons of guys doing it. I'm not comparing Robertson to Matthews, but to suggest that Robertson slots with tons of guys is a disservice to Robertson.
Yeah, Robertson's goal scoring was simply miles above everyone else. 1.2 goals per game compared to 0.9 goals per game in 2nd place is huge. That would be 81 goals over a full 68 game OHL season to 61 in 2nd place. That sort of separation is extremely rare

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
We will see come camp and preseason what we really got. But sounds promising. Unless some trades are made in off season cant see him sticking. There is just no room on roster. Hyman and Mik going nowhere. Clifford will get 4th line spot. So it comes down to quite a few guys for 3rd line LW. Barabanov, AJ, Kork?
On right side it is even worse.
Can he beat out AJ even?
Anywho good to have lots of positional depth on wing. Hopefully we can convert to defenders and centres where we are weaker.

Leafs dont have the money for Mik and Clifford. Specially if they want to spend on defense.

With the additions of Robertson and Abramov, I dont see how the Leafs can keep Johnson and Kapanen unless they acquire more LTIR contracts.

edit: I meant to say Barabanov not Abramov.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs dont have the money for Mik and Clifford. Specially if they want to spend on defense.

With the additions of Robertson and Abramov, I dont see how the Leafs can keep Johnson and Kapanen unless they acquire more LTIR contracts.

I think you will see them resign both guys. I think they will go with what they got now on defense. The CAP is gonna be 81.5M for next 2 years for sure. Maybe even 3 years.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
FLAT CAP $81.5M 2020-20201 Season

FORWARDS (14)
Right wing: William Nylander ($6,962,366) - Mitchell Marner ($10,893,000) - Kasperi Kapanen ($3,200,000) - Alexander Barabanov ($925,000) - Yegor Korshkov ($925,000)
Centre: Auston Matthews ($11,634,000) - John Tavares ($11,000,000) - Alexander Kerfoot ($3,500,000) - Adam Brooks ($725,000)
Left wing: Zach Hyman ($2,250,000) - Ilya Mikheyev ($2,000,000) - Nicholas Robertson ($850,000) - Kyle Clifford ($1,200,000) - Pierre Engvall ($1,250,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Mikko Lehtonen ($925,000) - Justin Holl ($2,000,000) - Timothy Liljegren ($863,333)
Left: Morgan Rielly ($5,000,000) - Jake Muzzin ($5,625,000) - Rasmus Sandin ($894,167) - Calle Rosén ($750,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Frederik Andersen ($5,000,000) - Jack Campbell ($1,650,000)

Roster Size: 23
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $81,221,866
Cap Space: $278,134

TRADE:
TOR gets:
2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
2021 3rd round pick (MTL)
2021 5th round pick (OTT).

MTL gets:
Andreas Johnson

Line-up:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Mikeyev-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Clifford-Brooks-Barabanov
Engvall
Korshkov

Reilly-Lehtonen
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Rosen

Andersen
Campbell

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
FLAT CAP $81.5M 2020-20201 Season

FORWARDS (14)
Right wing: William Nylander ($6,962,366) - Mitchell Marner ($10,893,000) - Kasperi Kapanen ($3,200,000) - Alexander Barabanov ($925,000) - Yegor Korshkov ($925,000)
Centre: Auston Matthews ($11,634,000) - John Tavares ($11,000,000) - Alexander Kerfoot ($3,500,000) - Adam Brooks ($725,000)
Left wing: Zach Hyman ($2,250,000) - Ilya Mikheyev ($2,000,000) - Nicholas Robertson ($850,000) - Kyle Clifford ($1,200,000) - Pierre Engvall ($1,250,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Mikko Lehtonen ($925,000) - Justin Holl ($2,000,000) - Timothy Liljegren ($863,333)
Left: Morgan Rielly ($5,000,000) - Jake Muzzin ($5,625,000) - Rasmus Sandin ($894,167) - Calle Rosén ($750,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Frederik Andersen ($5,000,000) - Jack Campbell ($1,650,000)

Roster Size: 23
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $81,221,866
Cap Space: $278,134

TRADE:
TOR gets:
2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
2021 3rd round pick (MTL)
2021 5th round pick (OTT).

MTL gets:
Andreas Johnson

Line-up:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Mikeyev-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Clifford-Brooks-Barabanov
Engvall
Korshkov

Reilly-Lehtonen
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Liljegren
Rosen

Andersen
Campbell

Habs are not giving up 3 draft picks for Johnsson

Reactions: Funk21

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Habs are not giving up 3 draft picks for Johnsson
I usually don’t speculate on trades or get involved it trade talk but I think the 3 picks is about a neutral expectation. I think both teams would feel comfortable with that deal.
Montreal never fairs well attracting Ufa’s so trading for talent like Johnsson for picks would likely be well recieved there.

The poster came up with a neutral deal i believe. Just seems fair to me. Maybe even a trade viewed heavily in favour of the Habs in the short term minimum. A quality player for cap space and picks. Maybe even light coming back our way but acceptable under the circumstances

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Ltir wont save the team any money this season.

That said, i agree that likely at least 1 of the 3 3ish mil forwards will be moved.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Looks like Nylander finally has some gym rat competition among the young squad. (Tavares would wipe the floor with all of them combined).

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Third line left wing hopefully Robertson/Kerfoot/Kapanen or slip Sprzza in there to see them start with the puck more. Kerfoot needs to really work on winning faceoffs.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Something about his game makes me think he'd explode out of the blocks if you put him with Tavares and Nylander. Soup is great on the 3rd line LW and if Robertson looks lost you make a quick swap

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Something about his game makes me think he'd explode out of the blocks if you put him with Tavares and Nylander. Soup is great on the 3rd line LW and if Robertson looks lost you make a quick swap
I agree. Robertson and nylander being puck hounds would help tavares and idk if Robertson can but nylander and jt can cycle the puck well once they have control in the o zone.

I like soup on the 3rd line. He can carry it in the small sample he showed this year.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
From the little I watched of his highlights, it looks to me this kid has great on ice awareness.

He seems to use time and space really well in order to sneak into the scoring spot during the play.

The way he sets up in the o zone kind of reminds me of how the Marchand, Pasta, Bergeron line play. I'm not comparing him to any of those three, but the style has similarities.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Because the Leafs already have scoring, Robertson has got to be able (willing) to play a safer two way game in order to make the jump immediately. If the Leafs weren't one of the better offensive teams, I could believe that they'd be rushing this player to the NHL regardless of the rest of his game. He's physically capable, it appears, but he's got near zero exposure to savvy pro opponents. That's always a huge leap.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Really wish this kid got a full season to pot goals. Kid could have put up a 70+ goal season. When was the last time that happened in the OHL?

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Because the Leafs already have scoring, Robertson has got to be able (willing) to play a safer two way game in order to make the jump immediately. If the Leafs weren't one of the better offensive teams, I could believe that they'd be rushing this player to the NHL regardless of the rest of his game. He's physically capable, it appears, but he's got near zero exposure to savvy pro opponents. That's always a huge leap.

Babcock is that you? Let’s stop neutering natural talent. It did wonders for us in the past right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad